• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC

wadec22

The "Fs" revision improves the results significantly, see this review for an example of the DAC Fs smashing the regular Pro.

There is also a Pro Fs that is the best of both worlds.

If anyone has a preferred testing method I can run my Pro Fs in loopback modes to get some rough figures. The ADC is absolutely insane and shouldn't bottleneck too much.

That makes sense, thanks

bennetng

Major Contributor
That makes sense, thanks
RME's official value is -110dB@-1dBFS. In general I only treat these numbers as "lie detectors" rather than audibility concern. They are not something like FPS in GPU benchmarks.

RME is famous for customized FPGA accelerated signal path to provide low latency multiclient operation and flexible signal routing. Also first class DAW compatibility and tech support. That's products with similar or better specs and lower prices cannot provide.

Last edited:

mcgo

HO HO HO

AE36EE77-410F-4FBB-BD74-F8AF3F8D4950.jpeg

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Matthias Carstens, the co-founder of RME, posted some interesting stuff about why the ADI-2 DAC is really the true high-end all-in-one:

MC said:
It's not only the features. We give you better real-world dynamic and signal to noise and distortion values than all those no name products. We develop and design analog and digital circuits that extract the best out of the DAC chip as possible, in as many applications as possible. That makes it easy for you to use it and don't start thinking about if there is a way to further improve it. Different power supplies? USB cleaner? External headphone amp? Forget it. Just be happy with one single unit that does it all, with specs where there is no reason at all to further improve them.
Hmmm, there must have been some sales pitch formula in the Glühwein...
smile.png

I strongly agree with him, though anyone who has followed my posts would know that.

He also commented on the newer AKM chips and even hinted towards a potential replacement for the 4490 in the ADI-2:

MC said:
Yes, the 4493 is a slightly improved version, but it is not fully compatible. The 4497/99 are forced replies to the ESS chips and their marketing efforts and success. But the 4497 did not cut the cake for various reasons. The new 4499 is much more promising due to its four channel architecture, and might get more popular than the 4497...in the long term, so far this chip is not yet available.

Here.

wadec22

Matthias Carstens, the co-founder of RME, posted some interesting stuff about why the ADI-2 DAC is really the true high-end all-in-one:

I strongly agree with him, though anyone who has followed my posts would know that.

He also commented on the newer AKM chips and even hinted towards a potential replacement for the 4490 in the ADI-2:

Here.
I really like the unit. My only gripe is usability. I don't think they could make it less intuitive if they tried. :)

I can't remember the last electronic device I HAD to use the manual to figure out how to access the feautures I was looking for. Usually you can just grab the remote and start running. Not the case here.

Chippyboy

Quick question from a newbie...

I've just got my new ADI-2 DAC. Regards the output level switches, would I be right in assuming that the best technical performance will be gained by choosing a setting (+1 dBU, +7dBU etc) at which the maximum volume I'll ever listen at is 0 dB on the volume knob?

Whilst I am here, can I just say that I am absolutely thrilled with how this device sounds. It's impossible for me to do A-B comparisons with my old Benchmark DAC-1 HDR, but subjectively I am enjoying it much more. And features / ergonomics wise, it's miles better. I hated the analogue pot on the Benchmark (which incidentally is worn out now) with it's pretty lousy channel (im)balance and motor noises. Also the RME doesn't warm the room on standby!

Keis

Quick question from a newbie...

I've just got my new ADI-2 DAC. Regards the output level switches, would I be right in assuming that the best technical performance will be gained by choosing a setting (+1 dBU, +7dBU etc) at which the maximum volume I'll ever listen at is 0 dB on the volume knob?

Whilst I am here, can I just say that I am absolutely thrilled with how this device sounds. It's impossible for me to do A-B comparisons with my old Benchmark DAC-1 HDR, but subjectively I am enjoying it much more. And features / ergonomics wise, it's miles better. I hated the analogue pot on the Benchmark (which incidentally is worn out now) with it's pretty lousy channel (im)balance and motor noises. Also the RME doesn't warm the room on standby!

If you are talking about a 2V line out level, than go to I/O settings, change the line out Ref Level to +7dBu and lock the volume at 0dB to gain the highest Signal to Noise Ratio performance.

If you are not sure you want a 2V line out level, or just want the DAC to do if for you, than turn ON the Auto Ref Level and turn up the volume to 0dB, you'll see the DAC in action auto changing the Ref Level according to the current volume level, test it if there is no problem than lock the line out volume at 0dB.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you are talking about a 2V line out level, than go to I/O settings, change the line out Ref Level to +7dBu and lock the volume at 0dB to gain the highest Signal to Noise Ratio performance.

If you are not sure you want a 2V line out level, or just want the DAC to do if for you, than turn ON the Auto Ref Level and turn up the volume to 0dB, you'll see the DAC in action auto changing the Ref Level according to the current volume level, test it if there is no problem than lock the line out volume at 0dB.

First are you using RCA or XLR? If RCA, most of DAC output are 2V. So +7db, auto ref level off, locked at 0db (1,73V according to RME)

If you are using XLR, most of DAC output are 4V. So you can set the Ref level off at +13 or +19db and lock at 0db.

RME does recommend using a ref level at 0db to get the full SNR available.

Auto ref level is not recommended here because unless you use it at 0db (which correspond to +13db RCA or +19db XLR), you won't, in theory get the full signal and the full SNR capacities of the DAC.

Chippyboy

Thanks guys. Sorry, I should have said I am using XLR.

Also, I am using the ADI-2 as a DAC and preamp, so I don't want to lock the output at 0dB or it will be quite loud all the time ;-)

I've set it to +7dBu (i.e. 1.7v) so far and it seems to be working well. I know that sounds a bit low but my power amps are circa 700w / channel so I don't need much to get them going! I'm finding I'm listening to most material at maybe -20 dB, so wondering if I should use the +1dBu setting in the ADI-2 instead of the +7dBu setting?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have had the ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition for about a year now. I REALLY love the device - it is the sexiest piece of electronics I have ever seen and owned with it's transparent class. I am bit disappointed to see the Pro loose to this new DAC version and I might be tempted to sell mine and get this new one, because I don't need the AD part at all. However... I listen a lot with my awesome digital nearfield monitors Genelec 8330+7650 sub and for some reason this new DAC version does not have digital out in AES nor coax. Bummer.

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Yep, for "some" reason. One being: if the DAC has the exact same features than the PRO and measures better... Yet the PRO has no reason to exist.

The Pro Fs has the same DA updates as the DAC, and is infact slightly better too (two AKM AK4490 vs one). They probably make a lot more money on the Pro just because pro audio is their main market and they are very good at it, so it has a lot of reasons to exist. It's probably the best desktop form factor AD you can buy.

Removing digital I/O to save costs is a totally reasonable thing. A majority of people in a HiFi setting aren't going to use any of the digital outputs, and are unlikely to use AES. The extra features in the ADI-2 Pro are actually much more complex and expensive to implement.

For comparison, this is the PCB of the DAC

qXzMPkF.jpg

And this is the Pro (non Fs)

M4n2Tlm.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Pro Fs has the same DA updates as the DAC, and is infact slightly better too (two AKM AK4490 vs one). They probably make a lot more money on the Pro just because pro audio is their main market and they are very good at it, so it has a lot of reasons to exist. It's probably the best desktop form factor AD you can buy.

Removing digital I/O to save costs is a totally reasonable thing. A majority of people in a HiFi setting aren't going to use any of the digital outputs, and are unlikely to use AES. The extra features in the ADI-2 Pro are actually much more complex and expensive to implement.

qXzMPkF.jpg

M4n2Tlm.jpg
You probably got me wrong because that's exactly what I was saying...with less world.
Both unit have reasons to exist and this is perfectly normal that DAC has less features than the PRO and no "for some reason".

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
You probably got me wrong because that's exactly what I was saying...with less world.
Both unit have reasons to exist and this is perfectly normal that DAC has less features than the PRO and no "for some reason".

Oh yes, I see now. Sorry, I didn't get a lot of sleep :)

I guess my reply is best addressed to @soundwave76 then

helloworld

qXzMPkF.jpg

M4n2Tlm.jpg
hi,what’s the adc chip and dsp chip in adi 2 pro? Thx!

Top Bottom