• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

myblues

Does anyone have experience in standard mode vs. low-gain mode? Does it have audible benefits?
I tried with my VTV Eval1 amplifier today. I'm using it with SMSL SU-8 v2. The DAC should be set to volume 14 (max is 40) in standard mode, and around 23 to have similar volume. So there's no headroom problems.
But it sounds more mellow and mid focussed in low-gain mode (with higher DAC volume) but again, i have no idea if this is placebo and if it has any real audible benefits.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have experience in standard mode vs. low-gain mode? Does it have audible benefits?
I tried with my VTV Eval1 amplifier today. I'm using it with SMSL SU-8 v2. The DAC should be set to volume 14 (max is 40) in standard mode, and around 23 to have similar volume. So there's no headroom problems.
But it sounds more mellow and mid focussed in low-gain mode (with higher DAC volume) but again, i have no idea if this is placebo and if it has any real audible benefits.
What is standard gain mode? What is low gain mode? And how are you changing the gain??

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dundas

Forum Donor
Last edited:

myblues

What is standard gain mode? What is low gain mode? And how are you changing the gain??
You can change with the jumpers inside.
No, change the jumpers marked FE Gain on page 3 as shown at the top of page 8. They are red for 1 channel and blue for the other and are next to the XLR jacks. Check the picture on the VTV web page:
https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-purifi-eigentakt-stereo-amplifier-based-on-eval-1/
Still easier said than done on an assembled amplifier.

It was pretty easy though, just removing the screws on chassis and changing the jumpers, less than 5 min job.
But with low-gain mode (which shows better SINAD) it was more bass boomy and less clear. I wonder how others experienced.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can change with the jumpers inside.

It was pretty easy though, just removing the screws on chassis and changing the jumpers, less than 5 min job.
But with low-gain mode (which shows better SINAD) it was more bass boomy and less clear. I wonder how others experienced.
If true, objectively, it could mean a limit in ability of the source to drive it, properly.

myblues

If true, objectively, it could mean a limit in ability of the source to drive it, properly.
That is true. There was plenty of headroom for volume though. (The dac needed about half way volume to have decent listening volume in low gain mode) I havent checked how low the input impedance go in low-gain mode. Maybe it's because of not being able to drive it regardless of volume.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I must have been reading ASR too much... was walking along the street today and a courier was unpacking his van. I swear I saw on a box SINAD... but on closer inspection it was something completely different.

I think I might get a tea cup or coffee mug with SINAD on it @amirm ... or even better would be one with the ASR logo with just "SINAD" in bold letters underneath, or maybe even "have you checked your SINAD?". :cool:

JSmith

JimB

Forum Donor
I must have been reading ASR too much... was walking along the street today and a courier was unpacking his van. I swear I saw on a box SINAD... but on closer inspection it was something completely different.

I think I might get a tea cup or coffee mug with SINAD on it @amirm ... or even better would be one with the ASR logo with just "SINAD" in bold letters underneath, or maybe even "have you checked your SINAD?". :cool:

JSmith
Or "Do You Know Your SINAD?"

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I've dug through a lot of the posts on here, but I suck at figuring out actual watt usage. I don't listen loud, so how would I calculate power usage in watts from these modules in EVAL1 form with stock Hypex PSU based on the specs? I'd listen at 25-40% of max output at the most (my speakers are 8 ohm 97dB sensitive so they don't need much power).

Last edited:

JimB

Forum Donor
Unimaginable that they will not have enough power for you. Or are you concerned about power use from the mains? If so, the idle power is <20 watts. From there, add about 10% of whatever power your speakers are drawing.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Unimaginable that they will not have enough power for you. Or are you concerned about power use from the mains? If so, the idle power is <20 watts. From there, add about 10% of whatever power your speakers are drawing.
Yeah sorry I meant power draw from the wall. Not totally concerned since I know Class D amps will be much lower than my current one. Mostly just curious. Thanks for the response!

Descartes

Major Contributor
So are there anyone else besides NAD and Nord that make amplifiers with Purifi 1ET400A?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom