• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Would that be the best amplifier to use as a reference to compare against the Purifi? Why would you have such filth in your audio room to begin with? did you lose a bet or something?
I have the NCore 1200 monos, and Benchmark AHB2 too.
Keith

Rich W

I have the NCore 1200 monos, and Benchmark AHB2 too.
Keith

I would have thought those would be the first you would compare them to. But I didn't come to ASR for subjective opinions anyways. So there's nothing you could offer me of any value unless you own an APX-555.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have compared them, the valve amp wasn’t mine,
Keith

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor
To Spain (with shipping), before VAT 19%, now with UK out of EU, VAT 21% I suppose. About € 1,450. Taxes at customs, how much to add?

No photo of the inside :(
No we run to the same rules until Jan 2021 20% VAT at time of order no customs duty etc £1174.80 1410.83 Euro + £45 Shipping

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No we run to the same rules until Jan 2021 20% VAT at time of order no customs duty etc £1174.80 1410.83 Euro + £45 Shipping
Please add an inside photo of the amp whenever possible? Thanks!

Rich W

Does adding the 2nd power supply improve the measured results? You should send an amp to Amir with 2 supply’s, along with the harness to connect a single supply. So we can all see if adding the 2nd supply is worth the additional money.

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Please add an inside photo of the amp whenever possible? Thanks!
Not sure I could stand the trauma! Only difference is the buffer uses a REV C buffer with a OPA 1612 and one PSU (we include wiring to add a second PSU and pre drill holes which are blanked off) which we incorrectly place facing the Purifi module, ensuring the high voltage feed to the buffer is as short as possible as these emit more EMI than the PSU itself with its copper wrapped power transistors etc. On a serious note will do as soon as I get some time. Appreciate your level comments.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I didn't know this was a comedy thread.
I would have thought those would be the first you would compare them to. But I didn't come to ASR for subjective opinions anyways. So there's nothing you could offer me of any value unless you own an APX-555.
OK...
...Easy, boy. Remember you just registered...:rolleyes:
You should send an amp to Amir with 2 supply’s, along with the harness to connect a single supply. So we can all see if adding the 2nd supply is worth the additional money.
The two power supplies has been reviewed here already. Same power so far.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
How would you rate the SQ of the Purifi against the Benchmark and the NCore 1200?
I can’t tell the difference, but by the time you have swopped amps, re connected etc etc.
I really I need two pairs of identical passive loudspeakers, I am more or less totally active here, perhaps when Alan March releases his new Purifi driver based models.
Keith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure I could stand the trauma! Only difference is the buffer uses a REV C buffer with a OPA 1612 and one PSU (we include wiring to add a second PSU and pre drill holes which are blanked off) which we incorrectly place facing the Purifi module, ensuring the high voltage feed to the buffer is as short as possible as these emit more EMI than the PSU itself with its copper wrapped power transistors etc. On a serious note will do as soon as I get some time. Appreciate your level comments.
I like the idea of expanding to a 2nd PSU later, although it would be interesting to measure and listen what improvements the 2nd PSUs brings. Thanks! And congrats on the excellent price for the Purifi rev C amp.

TabCam

I like the idea of expanding to a 2nd PSU later, although it would be interesting to measure and listen what improvements the 2nd PSUs brings. Thanks! And congrats on the excellent price for the Purifi rev C amp.
It is the NordAcoustics rev C input buffer. I do not know which version the Purifi module is at, the website purifiaudio does not specify it. Audiosciencereview already measured the dual mono design (with rev D input buffers) and it just had a 10W power "advantage" (267W vs 257W).

There is the option to use 2 power supplies, increasing the price from single PS £ 979 to twin PS £ 1,129 plus VAT.
Case looks nicer and opamp in rev C buffer is also better, so Nord takes the crown of best cheap stereo Purifi power amp.
The Audiophonics has both a selectable XLR/RCA input, a pass-through option and a 12V trigger. I reckon they will differ not that much in performance although I see areas of improvement (cable management, connector positioning and opamp). Case is a matter of taste ;).

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
PURIFI is very efficient, > 94%, so it makes no sense to use two SMPS1200A400. Bruno Putzeys already warned about it after being asked.

Perhaps the difference can be noticed if each mono is close to its loudspeaker and, therefore, the wiring is very short. But if the two mono are together in the center then it only serves to make the product more expensive.

maty

Major Contributor
For now, my choice is two single rail SMPS 600W from Cresnet. I suggested him design one equivalent to the SMPS1200A400 (dual rail) for the PURIFI.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/281413-audio-smps-units-sale.html

https://www.micro-audio.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Cresnet-SMPS-600DC-single-rail.jpg

mocenigo

Major Contributor
For now, my choice is two single rail SMPS 600W from Cresnet. I suggested him design one equivalent to the SMPS1200A400 (dual rail) for the PURIFI.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/281413-audio-smps-units-sale.html

https://www.micro-audio.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

View attachment 50818

A single rail PSU gives you only a 0,+V pair. IF the 0 is not connected to the ground, you can use it as a -V,0, so with two of them you get -V, 0,V but this looks a bit weird to me. Perhaps you means one per channel, but both dual rail?

maty

Major Contributor
For now, one by channel in one box. And EMI/RFI/Common Mode Filter by Aleksandar (ATL Audio). Star-quad cables.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
For now, one by channel in one box. And EMI/RFI/Common Mode Filter by Aleksandar (ATL Audio). Star-quad cables.

So it is not single rail. It is dual mono. Single rail means that you have only one voltage relative to the ground...

rodtor

Forum Donor
You may remember that there was a heated discussion in the Nord Three thread about whether including two power supplies in one case was, in fact, a good idea. Sound quality and power weren't the issues. One view was that the second supply would cause the unit to get hotter, compromising longevity. If Im not mistaken, Amir disagreed, and in the teardown thread he showed that the Nord unit's two power supplies remained quite cool after intensive use. So, whether the second SMPS is a good idea might depend mostly on whether one thinks it might help preclude excessive heating. I lack the technical knowledge to have a firm opinion on this.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You may remember that there was a heated discussion in the Nord Three thread about whether including two power supplies in one case was, in fact, a good idea. Sound quality and power weren't the issues. One view was that the second supply would cause the unit to get hotter, compromising longevity. If Im not mistaken, Amir disagreed, and in the teardown thread he showed that the Nord unit's two power supplies remained quite cool after intensive use. So, whether the second SMPS is a good idea might depend mostly on whether one thinks it might help preclude excessive heating. I lack the technical knowledge to have a firm opinion on this.
Two SMPS DO produce more heat than one, raising the case ambient more than a single SMPS, so the amp modules will be a little warmer than with only one. BUT, with two SMPS, the temperature of the power devices in each SMPS are lower. With good case heat sinking, likely not a significant issue. Of course, with two power supplies, the odds of a failure of one are potentially higher.

Top Bottom