• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

elira

No soldering o_O ?

Oh man, I need to go learn how to do this, seems like something I would enjoy doing.
I think the hard part is finding a case, if you can find a pre-made case then it should be trivial.

Tks

Major Contributor
Be brave. Do it. I ran into a guy today who is afraid to hang pictures. Don’t be that guy.

Problem being, no way you're going to be finding soldering stations in a new york city apartment >_<

Folks here are renown for calling technicians just to come change their lightbulbs. That's how handicapped we are in this sense.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For the THD vs power plot, I do think you should seriously consider either consider increasing the resolution (more measurement points-there's not enough) or place the crosshairs on discrete measurement points with a finite value (not somewhere random along the line between two points).
It is not random. The cursor can only be placed on measurement points and it jumps from one to the other. It is harder to see here due to two graphs being close to each other.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
So the Hypex nc400 amp you tested got higher SINAD than this amp with comparable gains? That was not expected. The input buffer of nc400 must really be something.
I would love to see more detailed comparisons with Hypex nc400. Is this Eigentakt really a step forward in performance?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So Hypex nc400 gets higher SINAD than this amp with comparable gains?
It is the same really. That small 1 dB variation is not substantive. The 1ET400A has much less distortion though, both at 5 watts and at power. Here is the 5 watt comparison:

1562194326221.png

And NC400 (sorry it is not averaged as much, ignore the business below the graph):

1562194364085.png

rajapruk

Forum Donor
It is the same really. That small 1 dB variation is not substantive. The 1ET400A has much less distortion though, both at 5 watts and at power. Here is the 5 watt comparison:

View attachment 28885

And NC400 (sorry it is not averaged as much, ignore the business below the graph):

View attachment 28886

but if you look at this result you got when you only measured one channel of that nc400-implementation with a shared SMPS, nc400 has even lower distortion, right? So nc400 monoblocks might be "the shit"? :)

Attachments

• 1545946997046.png
    1545946997046.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 350
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
but if you look at this result you got when you only measured one channel of that nc400-implementation with a shared SMPS, nc400 has even lower distortion...
The 1ET400A that I tested also has a single shared SMPS.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
The 1ET400A that I tested also has a single shared SMPS.

True.
Would be interesting if you measure only 1 channel of this 1ET400A amp turned on. If it can beat the single nc400 then.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
True.
Would be interesting if you measure only 1 channel of this 1ET400A amp turned on. If it can beat the single nc400 then.
Will run that tonight.....

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So the Hypex nc400 amp you tested got higher SINAD than this amp with comparable gains? That was not expected. The input buffer of nc400 must really be something.
I would love to see more detailed comparisons with Hypex nc400. Is this Eigentakt really a step forward in performance?

Bruno also commented in past interviews that this amp was intended to have notably lower idle power dissipation. Based on my NC400, I think that's a useful step forward that should help reliability.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Building the NC400 monoblock kits was very straight forward. I think anybody could do it, perhaps with a little guidance or help, but mostly it is just screwing the components into the chassis and connecting the wires.
There's a video put out on Youtube by New Record Day which shows the assembly process. A precocious chimp could successfully complete it in 20 minutes.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. I have the AHB2 and the Nc400-based NAD M22 v2 at the moment and am trying to decide between the two. And here is a third option. So in what way does this amp distinguish itself from the other two?
I have the pieces, parts of a stereo NC 400, SMPS1200, Ghent case either in house or on order. I don't see anything in this review making me regret my decision. This looks like a good amp, but, at best, only slightly better if at all, than the amp I'll be putting together with all HYPEX parts.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Problem being, no way you're going to be finding soldering stations in a new york city apartment >_<

Folks here are renown for calling technicians just to come change their lightbulbs. That's how handicapped we are in this sense.
There are exceptions. Read the 1st two posts here, and take a close look at #2's 1st photo. :eek:

HuskerDu

No soldering o_O ?

I agree with @orangejello. You'd be surprised, maybe, at how easy "good enough" soldering is... Get a soldering iron and a silly project (for practice) from the hobby store near you and try. Purists will correct me, I expect, but ...all you do is heat (by touching with your soldering tip, and holding still) the joint that you want to solder. Touch the solder to the joint itself (not to the soldering tip) and wait. The solder melts like candle wax when the joint gets hot enough to melt the solder. Done. The molten solder flows really quickly (instantly) into the joint, so all you have to do is hold still until it flows...a couple of seconds. Lift the soldering iron when the lead flows and the joint will cool almost instantly. (Like most things, you can find a hundred good videos on YouTube.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom