• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
I'd appreciate any guidance on the following scenario. I consider an upgrade from NAD 804 to either Revel F228Be or Revel F226Be. Revel lists 50-350W as the recommended amplifier power range for F228BE and 50-200W for F226BE. Both speakers have 90dB sensitivity. I want to start with a stereo amp based on1ET400A and have an option for bi-amp down the road. Is Purifi 1ET400A a good selection power output wise for each of the speakers? For F228Be 1ET400A output falls under the max of 350W. For B226Be 1ET400A is above the 200W.

90dB sensitivity @200watts @6 feet = 110dBSPL
https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

mk1classic

I'd appreciate any guidance on the following scenario. I consider an upgrade from NAD 804 to either Revel F228Be or Revel F226Be. Revel lists 50-350W as the recommended amplifier power range for F228BE and 50-200W for F226BE. Both speakers have 90dB sensitivity. I want to start with a stereo amp based on1ET400A and have an option for bi-amp down the road. Is Purifi 1ET400A a good selection power output wise for each of the speakers? For F228Be 1ET400A output falls under the max of 350W. For B226Be 1ET400A is above the 200W.

There's no problem having too much power as long as you don't use it all at the same time. Too little is more a problem... if you play loud.
The question is; What is your preferred listening volume in your room, and how much headroom do you need?

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using stereo Purifi 1ET400A’s right now to power my Revel Salon2’s, which are much lower sensitivity than those from the PerformaBe line. I don’t think I’ve really pushed it to the limits yet, but it seems to have plenty of power so far to go as loud as I’ve ever wanted (however I usually also run them with subwoofers). With the higher sensitivity of those speakers, I think you will be fine.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
I’m using stereo Purifi 1ET400A’s right now to power my Revel Salon2’s, which are much lower sensitivity than those from the PerformaBe line. I don’t think I’ve really pushed it to the limits yet, but it seems to have plenty of power so far to go as loud as I’ve ever wanted (however I usually also run them with subwoofers). With the higher sensitivity of those speakers, I think you will be fine.
Purifi goes up to 400W at 4ohms, so it is the same.

sdo_riga

There's no problem having too much power as long as you don't use it all at the same time. Too little is more a problem... if you play loud.
The question is; What is your preferred listening volume in your room, and how much headroom do you need?
I typically listen at a level that prevents talking on the phone, so I have to put on mute. Occasionally, maybe once a month I crank up to the ears pain point.

WeiW

After reading the review I cannot help considering hooking such an amp to my AVR pre out. I'm using Pioneer SC-1223-K that has RCA pre-out for front speakers. I also noticed that VTV has a complete amp product based on 1et400a modules which takes only XLR input. Can I successfully connect the AVR and VTV 1et400a amp together to boost my stereo experience? Really appreciate any comments! (please see attached pics
Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 10.34.05 PM.png
DO01020255-scaled.jpg
)

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning

misteracng

Of course, as per the Stereophile review, you can also spend US$10,000 on a Purifi based amp with a no feedback JFET buffer stage, to add "desirable" distortion I guess and a linear power supply. See https://www.stereophile.com/content/lkv-veros-pwr-power-amplifier
It seems they just cannot say the purifi amp is good, but they will find a 10k version that has huge heavy power supply that’s not actually needed. It seems like in order for them to promote a good class d amp they need it to be heavy and less efficient, essentially making it look like a class a/b before they are happy. Otherwise they feel it will be too analytical, whatever that means

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
All that is required is a correctly wired RCA to XLR converter cable. A box such as this will only add further noise and distortion

Not if you want to take a 150mV cassette deck line out into one of these amplifiers.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why would you be doing that? o_O

I think certain people tend to forget there are a lot of real analog sources out there. Wild variations in output levels and impedances. Reel to Reel, Cassette decks, tuners, turntable preamplifiers, various line outputs ranging from CD players to iPods, computers and laptops. Not everyone is out there is predictably boring with a measly single input, or a USB interfaced D/A converter.

That's where a proper preamplifier comes into its own. This minimalist, simplistic, one input deal is painfully boring. Phono 1, 2 (MC/MM), Tuner, Aux 1 and Aux 2 along with a few tape loops and a processor and I am mostly happy. I have three CD players, an open reel and another few analog sources currently hooked up to a few power amplifiers right now.

And as to why I'd be listening to a cassette source? Because I can. And because I have recordings that are so good, so rare and so indistinguishable from the source, they are amazing. Recordings carefully made on the same deck they are played back on 40 years later.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I think certain people tend to forget there are a lot of real analog sources out there. Wild variations in output levels and impedances. Reel to Reel, Cassette decks, tuners, turntable preamplifiers, various line outputs ranging from CD players to iPods, computers and laptops. Not everyone is out there is predictably boring with a measly single input, or a USB interfaced D/A converter.

That's where a proper preamplifier comes into its own. This minimalist, simplistic, one input deal is painfully boring. Phono 1, 2 (MC/MM), Tuner, Aux 1 and Aux 2 along with a few tape loops and a processor and I am mostly happy. I have three CD players, an open reel and another few analog sources currently hooked up to a few power amplifiers right now.

And as to why I'd be listening to a cassette source? Because I can. And because I have recordings that are so good, so rare and so indistinguishable from the source, they are amazing. Recordings carefully made on the same deck they are played back on 40 years later.
But you wouldn't be connecting any of those "old timer" ;) low level sources directly to a modern power amp. They would lack volume control for a start. Of course you would have a pre amp. In which case you could connect the pre to the power with a simple cable.

Avoiding a pre amp isn't what we are talking about here. Its interfacing a modern AVR pre RCA out to an XLR input power amp. This wouldn't benefit, only be degraded by putting another amp in between.

Last edited:

retro

Has there been anything said about upcoming higher powered Purifi-modules..?
A quick google gave nothing..

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Literally indistinguishable sounds like a bit of a stretch. We are talking about that same medium with a moderate amount of dynamic range and limited headroom on the top and bottom end, right? Optionally with compander system artifacts? And I'm not even talking any of the equipment imperfections one might run across when not using the cleanest quartz-locked direct drive deck in the best shape one can possibly find.

We get it, you like your 1980s media zoo. But nobody has to put up with it any more if they don't want to. Most people would have moved on by now and digitized their precious analog recordings years ago. Which is all the better since a majority of them wouldn't have the skills to take care of equipment with potentially a whole bunch of perishable rubber parts anyway.

Solutions even for the same problems tend to change over time, in part due to changes in technology and in part due to fashion. The older ones may still be perfectly fine regardless. As someone whose PC / music corner could pass as "best of the 2000s" - 2006 monitor, 2009 BTX machine complete with Windows 7, 2001 A3 scanner, 2005 laser printer, 2006-? Xonar D1 (the D2 wouldn't fit), 2002-2011 K+H O110, let's ignore the 1996 keyboard for now - I am always busy keeping those pesky kids 20somethings with their smartypants phones, window cases, LED bling and dislike for color-coded "mustard and ketchup" cables off my lawn, too...

Sorry for the OT 'n all...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has there been anything said about upcoming higher powered Purifi-modules..?
A quick google gave nothing..
No, I am also still waiting for news for their higher powered and/or all-in-one amp boards (power supply, buffer, amp).

Top Bottom