• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's US price, ie without VAT.

By the way, after seeing the amazing work done by Purifi with their Eval1 (two levels discrete voltage regulators, differential buffer using 2 opa1612a per channel), I do not think "custom buffer" are that much valuable. Most of them sounds like inferior on the paper.
Why builder just do not directly use EVAL1 ?
When you want different input/output options. When you want different packaging/layout options. When you want 1, 3, 5 channels in a box. When you want different gain. And, as @Julf has replied, when you want to be "special"! :p (Which DOES matter if you are selling amps.)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
That's US price, ie without VAT.

By the way, after seeing the amazing work done by Purifi with their Eval1 (two levels discrete voltage regulators, differential buffer using 2 opa1612a per channel), I do not think "custom buffer" are that much valuable. Most of them sounds like inferior on the paper.
Why builder just do not directly use EVAL1 ?
Even with VAT its $400 cheaper.

bilzebubba

When you want different input/output options. When you want different packaging/layout options. When you want 1, 3, 5 channels in a box. When you want different gain. And, as @Julf has replied, when you want to be "special"! :p (Which DOES matter if you are selling amps.)

So are we to infer that the stock buffer will not be audibly inferior to the ones costing hundreds of dollars more? ;)

JimB

Forum Donor
So are we to infer that the stock buffer will not be audibly inferior to the ones costing hundreds of dollars more? ;)
The EVAL1 is damn good, but that doesn't mean it cannot be surpassed, technically. Whether anyone can hear such a difference is TBD, but likely not in most cases. Audible superiority is in the ear of the listener (or, all in their head!).

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It’s a mistake this price, it’s not possible if you add the prices of the purifi module and the SMPS ...
If you goes to the purifi link on the index you got those prices, it’s not possible
View attachment 57329
Dont know if its a mistake or not but knowing the oem price of the components and all the other costs, it seems like a very good way to go out of business ;). Race to the bottom is a risky strategy.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would there be any reason not to use adapters like the ones in the link below as a quick-and-dirty way to convert the banana jacks on the EVAL1 to binding posts?

https://www.pomonaelectronics.com/p...post-double-banana-plug-adapter-nickel-plated

0AEACE6F-42F5-460A-9F07-35CB4676527D.jpeg

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The EVAL1 is damn good, but that doesn't mean it cannot be surpassed, technically. Whether anyone can hear such a difference is TBD, but likely not in most cases. Audible superiority is in the ear of the listener (or, all in their head!).

We're talking about something that is a challenge for an AP to measure. I think we can safely conclude that it's audibly transparent. :cool:

JimB

Forum Donor
Would there be any reason not to use adapters like the ones in the link below as a quick-and-dirty way to convert the banana jacks on the EVAL1 to binding posts?

View attachment 57586
What feature of "binding posts" do you want? While that adapter is certainly functional, other than to use good spades, I see no use for it. If you have wires, connect them to good, locking banana plugs, then into the EVAL1 sockets. If you have banana plugs, then into the EVAL1 sockets. If you DO have good spades, you are going to lose some of the special connection quality you want with those adapters. In that case, you're looking for some GOOD spade-to-locking-banana plugs (I have had this thought, but not found anything I like - yet).

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe not ideal, but it will work fine.

I just don’t want to mess around with unsoldering the jacks and screwing up the board. Didn't think it would be a problem but upon reading the EVAL1 documentation and the need to install resistors if removing the jacks, it gave me pause.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What feature of "binding posts" do you want? While that adapter is certainly functional, other than to use good spades, I see no use for it. If you have wires, connect them to good, locking banana plugs, then into the EVAL1 sockets. If you have banana plugs, then into the EVAL1 sockets.

I don’t like the idea of ripping something in and out of plugs mounted directly to the circuit board, with wear and tear and flexion. I’d rather have the posts be chassis mounted. Much more robust. This is the next best thing as nothing will be repeatedly plugged into and out of the board.

JimB

Forum Donor

JimB

Forum Donor
I don’t like the idea of ripping something in and out of plugs mounted directly to the circuit board, with wear and tear and flexion. I’d rather have the posts be chassis mounted. Much more robust. This is the next best thing as nothing will be repeatedly plugged into and out of the board.
Understood, but those PCB mounted sockets are not "delicate". Anyway, using such an adapter plug still applies strain from heavy external cables to the socket.

TimF

Forum Donor
The Purifi amp module doesn't appear to be a game changer. I am asking a question of you who I presume to know. Will any major manufacturers switch from Hypex modules to Purifi in their next round of Class D amps? Is it this: The Purifi is fine product but not clearly demonstrably better than a well implemented Hypex amplifier? Is that so? Or is it that the better and best implementations of the Purifi amp module are still being worked out. That is, we don't yet know its best possibilities. One of you oracles must have the answer. Maybe I should relax a little bit and not be so quick to dump my Hypex based amp that is still pretty new.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not all of them—the thread is 71 pages long and I am still working through it. Plus, the last electronics work I did was 30 years ago. I’m not an EE and what I know about electronics is from high school physics. “Dammit Jim, I’m a lawyer, not an engineer.” LOL. So I can barely read a schematic these days, so I am hitting the books.

TabCam

The Purifi amp module doesn't appear to be a game changer. I am asking a question of you who I presume to know. Will any major manufacturers switch from Hypex modules to Purifi in their next round of Class D amps? Is it this: The Purifi is fine product but not clearly demonstrably better than a well implemented Hypex amplifier? Is that so? Or is it that the better and best implementations of the Purifi amp module are still being worked out. That is, we don't yet know its best possibilities. One of you oracles must have the answer. Maybe I should relax a little bit and not be so quick to dump my Hypex based amp that is still pretty new.
Game changer is a big word but imho it is better than the Hypex NCore. It also depends on the loudspeakers and room. There is a naturallnes and relaxedness is the music nut no ABX testing done. And in measurements it is demonstrably better. Will you hear it? well you can't ho wrong with a 30 days return policy!

TabCam

Not all of them—the thread is 71 pages long and I am still working through it. Plus, the last electronics work I did was 30 years ago. I’m not an EE and what I know about electronics is from high school physics. “Dammit Jim, I’m a lawyer, not an engineer.” LOL. So I can barely read a schematic these days, so I am hitting the books.
Then I would order one, especially with the prices lowering as they do now.

JimB

Forum Donor
... the thread is 71 pages long and I am still working through it. ... “Dammit Jim, I’m a lawyer, not an engineer.” ....
Well, that topic is only 38 pages long (not 71, yet). ;)

I just don’t want to mess around with unsoldering the jacks and screwing up the board. Didn't think it would be a problem but upon reading the EVAL1 documentation and the need to install resistors if removing the jacks, it gave me pause.
You do realize that you can leave the sockets on-board AND add panel mounted binding posts, right?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-8#post-296911
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-8#post-296204
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-8#post-296386

AND, if you really don't want those socket holes through the back panel, you can just shave off the plastic faces!
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-25#post-344882
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-25#post-344897

Last edited:
Top Bottom