• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's why I like Class D. The only way forward is smaller, more energy efficient and more user-friendly.
And much easier on my back testing them....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Of course, but I assume debating the worth of an individual's subjective impression is also allowed in here?
Sure although let's not have too much of it in review threads.

Stretchneck

If you are chasing a particular sonic signature that conveys the emotion of the music, then what you are really after is better speakers. After slowly moving up in quality components over decades and finally investing in quality speakers (in my case high quality bookshelves with two subs), I realized this is what I had been chasing all along. Looking for components to hopefully make up for the difficiencies in the speakers/room acoustics is not going to get you there.

Neutral and Flat amp and DAC response does not mean boring in this context- quite the opposite. It means they get out of the way and allow the intention of the artist/mix/recording to show through - and sound glorious, engaging, impactful and emotional. It's all there in the recording already.

Get the best speakers you can afford and that sound good to you - then supplement with equipment that doesn't f*&! that up, and you will find what you are looking for.
I used to think this was true, however I don't think it is always the case. I have come around to the thinking that source is king - a good source and subsequent chain can make cheap speakers sound marvelous! This was my experience when I discovered Euphony Audio on a NUC.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to think this was true, however I don't think it is always the case. I have come around to the thinking that source is king - a good source and subsequent chain can make cheap speakers sound marvelous! This was my experience when I discovered Euphony Audio on a NUC.

Source (as in "source material") is definitely king. Accurately reproducing the recorded signal is more mundane - a Raspberry pi and €50 DAC can do it in an audibly transparent way.

Willem

Major Contributor
"I have come around to the thinking that source is king - a good source and subsequent chain can make cheap speakers sound marvelous! This was my experience when I discovered Euphony Audio on a NUC." As Julf says, even very cheap sources and a pretty basic DAC can be transparent, and hence cannot be improved upon. Perfect is perfect, for the simple reason that there are limitations to human hearing acuity. Any source that has a resolution above that hearing threshold is logically perfect, and the good news is that such resolution is easily and cheaply attainable. As for alternative euphonic PC operating systems, I think they are snake oil unless the contrary is proved with proper measurements and/or double blind tests.

Stretchneck

We are off topic, but I would encourage anyone to try a Raspberry Pi vs a PC (I use a NUC) running Euphony - not all streamers sound the same and I have found it to have a significant impact regardless of source material. The super duper long thread on audiophilestyle backs this up so I don't need to go on anymore about it here. A cheap DAC such as a Tone board would do a good job, I'm talking about the source/streamer here.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are off topic, but I would encourage anyone to try a Raspberry Pi vs a PC (I use a NUC) running Euphony

Absolutely, as long as you do it level matched and double blind.

Willem

Major Contributor
Did you inspect the digital packages and/or do yo have any measurements? Even a dirt cheap Chromecast Audio produces bit perfect output.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Although "source is king" and garbage in, garbage out" are still true today, the point is that it is easy and inexpensive now to basically max this out to the levels of audibility. Sounds like the changes you made achieved that. The way now to take it to the next level is to introduce high quality speakers and maximize room acoustics.

KarVi71

My first post to this forum :)

I contacted purify at their email adress, and am actually in contact with them about buying two 1et400a and a evaluation board (actually two as I want two monoblocks).

It seems availability is very close now.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading my Hypex UCD400HG/HxR's with these.

And BTW, I would really like to see how these old UCD400 designs measure, just out of curiosity (and for comparison) :)

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And BTW, I would really like to see how these old UCD400 designs measure, just out of curiosity (and for comparison) :)

Pretty good from their datasheet.
Screenshot_2019-11-15-20-22-15-883_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

maty

Major Contributor
Off-topic
We are off topic, but I would encourage anyone to try a Raspberry Pi vs a PC (I use a NUC) running Euphony...

https://euphony-audio.com/euphony-features/
Euphony Stylus 3.0 offers enhanced version of Stylus player, latest Linux kernel, modules and system packages optimized purely for music playback. The kernel contains newest CPU and IO schedulers thus achieving the lowest latency possible. Additionally, we introduced new optimizations of Euphony Stylus to further smooth-out its performance necessary for high-quality audio playback.

I made the same and more things in my W10 1903 Pro 64 bits. The improvement, the great improvement, is very evident.

- End off-topic -

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I made the same and more things in my W10 1903 Pro 64 bits. The improvement, the great improvement, is very evident.

If you say so, but why would latency be an issue with non-realtime playback? It only matters in live performance situations, and when synchronizing to external video.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Off-topic

Have you started using ANY controls in your listening tests?

maty

Major Contributor
I have already commented on other times. I would need a specific thread with a lot of text. I have been testing what others recommended and some of my things. Almost everything is automated when Windows starts except the last steps. Sometimes I forget the first time I play multimedia and I immediately notice the difference!

Years ago I decided that I would not explain anything else in detail on the open Internet, and I stay.

- End off topic -

Jack B

Forum Donor
I know what he said but I do not share it from day one. I have been silent these months waiting for others to realize but they have been silent. The fallacy is so obvious... I am sure he does not even believe it.
Oh, if only you had been silent.....

Top Bottom