• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
That is simply not true because otherwise their would be no continual development and evolution of products. Look at companies that are dishonest and make poor quality products that do not compete in the free market place for people's money. They eventually go bankrupt. Look at companies that are honest and make quality products. They compete successfully in the market place and grow and improve their products over time.

You can't seriously believe that?

I'm an incredibly naive person myself, but statements like that makes me want to use kindergarten pedagogy as a responce, no offence :confused:

The world is not as black and white as you seem to believe it is.

Continual development and evolution of products mostly only happens if there's a demand for it. After (proto) humans discovered how to make fire, not a single technological advancement happened again for 1½ million years... or so I've been told. No one saw the need for it.

Advancements usually only happen "automatically" if they have the potential to increase peoples chances of survival and/or procreation. Basically: Will this make my life easier, and if not, can it be used as a weapon (the other side of the same coin)? Real tangible improvements of audio products, other than increased functionality and ease of use, cater to none of that, meaning that the free market has next to no influence on them, especially since the line of diminishing returns (arguably) was crossed decades ago.

If the free market was actually the deciding factor, Hi-fi and audiophilia wouldn't even be a thing. Everybody would have a Sonos and be perfectly happy :D

Well, that's just my point of view. It might be a bit pessimistic, but I still think that you put way too much trust in peoples ability to make rational decisions. Don't get me wrong. The "free" market is good for many things, but if it was truly as free as some would like it to be, the shit would hit the fan really fast (Yeah, I'm a smelly hippie.. I know).

[/RAMBLING]

What was this thread about originally?

I have no idea! :p

Back to the topic, anyone?

Last edited:

I'm an incredibly naive person myself, but statements like that makes me want to use kindergarten pedagogy as a responce, no offence :confused:

Continual development and evolution of products mostly only happens if there's a demand for it. After (proto) humans discovered how to make fire, not a single technological advancement happened again for 1½ million years... or so I've been told. No one saw the need for it.

Advancements usually only happen "automatically" if they have the potential to increase peoples chances of survival and/or procreation. Basically: Will this make my life easier, and if not, can it be used as a weapon (the other side of the same coin)? Real tangible improvements of audio products, other than increased functionality and ease of use, cater to none of that, meaning that the free market has next to no influence on them, especially since the line of diminishing returns (arguably) was crossed decades ago.

If the free market was actually the deciding factor, Hi-fi and audiophilia wouldn't even be a thing. Everybody would have a Sonos and be perfectly happy :D

Well, that's just my point of view. It might be a bit pessimistic, but I still think that you put way too much trust in peoples ability to make rational decisions. Don't get me wrong. The "free" market is good for many things, but if it was truly as free as some would like it to be, the shit would hit the fan really fast (Yeah, I'm a smelly hippie.. I know).

Eve

Money funds the development of a product. If there is no money to be made there is no incentive to improve a product. You are basically denying the reality of the tremendous success of entire U.S. Capitalistic system with your argument.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Money funds the development of a product. If there is no money to be made there is no incentive to improve a product.

I see it more as: If people will gladly pay dizzying amounts of money for a product that makes them feel good about themselves but offers no advantage besides that, then there is no incentive to improve it.

You are basically denying the reality of the tremendous success of entire U.S. Capitalistic system with your argument.

I do no such thing. I'd might feel the need to debate the use of the word "success", but that's something that shouldn't be discussed here.

All I'm saying is that the high-end audio world fits in a corner of that system where actual improvements achieved via the scientific approach are in low demand. In this case the economy is kept afloat by a myriad of other factors, and most of them have roots in psychology.

EDIT:
Methinks a troll has settled in...

Quite possibly. And I took the bait :facepalm:
Sorry for the derailing...

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
that doesn’t mean you won’t win every now and then, but you would lose a lot of money if you did it over and over again-the mirror image of the profitability of the business.

We routinely refuse these offers based on price and have no problem abusing return privileges when offered for free (like Costco). We had at times 6 or 8 in our household and generally abuse appliances (in 12yr. we went through 4 dishwashers, these were self insured) so a 10% add on for 5 years extended warranty is almost guaranteed to pay off. My Saab blew the engine at 50500 on a 50000 mile warranty, a call to Sweden got me a free short block and all labor ($9000).

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Okay, to compensate for some of the damage I've done to this thread:

This amp might not be a huge leap from the NC400, but I do like the lowered (?) idle consumption, and the rectangular formfactor is somehow more pleasing to me than the hockey puck design. If it turns out to be priced equally to or maybe even lower than the Hypex amp, it will have no problem jumping to the top of my wishlist.

Assuming that people in the DIY community will design a monoblock friendly input stage.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All I hear is noise....
Maybe you missed the /sarcasm tag to indicate I was joking (making an allusion to the indignant subjective golden-ears)? Not sure.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We routinely refuse these offers based on price

yes that’s usually the appropriate response, unless you are confident it will break in a warranty-covered fashion, which apparently you are, in certain circumstances.

my kids were pretty good at breaking stuff too.

which reminds me of the new Class D amplifier standard.....

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
yes that’s usually the appropriate response, unless you are confident it will break in a warranty-covered fashion, which apparently you are, in certain circumstances.

True, one has to decide at what point not to buy insurance for anything, are you going to let your kids drive your cars with no liability at all?
We once bought an investment property with cash and it took over a year to realize that no one was there to make you buy fire insurance, the lawyers never even mentioned that it was a good idea..

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Any updates on the ETA from Purifi ???

TIA
Hi

I'm currently at the Melbourne Hifi show. I was hoping to have the final release product ready for the show but the enclosures only arrived yesterday afternoon. So it doesn't look like we are going to be demoing them.

However this does mean the amps will be good to go in a couple of weeks (it's going to take us 3 1/2 days to drive back ;). Purifi are ready for orders.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
We have pages of nonsense, if you don't want to talk about the amplifier don't post in the thread..

Cheers

Reply ban issued to @HiFiSoundFarts for constant off topic posts , there's others deserving but let's see if we can avoid anymore sanctions

veeceem

May I ask if this module is made/sold/available in China? If it's in EU/US/AU. Then I'm out of luck :(

digicidal

Major Contributor

87mpi

Hi, the 1et400a measures are done with a shared smps 1200 ps, while nc400 was measured with a shared smps600 ps. Of course ,both modules benefit from the use of a single smps unit compared to a shared power supply, but to what extent do nc400 and 1et400a really differ in mono configuration using the same smps600? is it possible to power a single nc400 or 1et400a with smps1200? could there be improvements using smps 1200 over the 600 (apart better dissipation for 1200) in mono? Many thanks. Antonio

Top Bottom