• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

Krunok

Major Contributor
Now, say, is the DS already packed and gone, or do we have a chance to see the extent, if any, to which the last flavor of firmware gets its flaws corrected ?

"Flavor of firmware"? This tea discussion definitely got hold on you M8.. :D

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“I don’t want this to be a sales pitch”

Sure.

“Better linearity, lower noise”.

Guess he’s been reading the reviews.

Every version “totally transforms” the sound!

Kind of weird to buy a ‘blank’ DAC and get Ted’s idea of better sound dumped into it every few months. Subjectivist? Or Ted-Ivist?

In addition to the “wife from the kitchen” cliche, we have to add the “i wasn’t expecting such a dramatic difference”

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now, say, is the DS already packed and gone, or do we have a chance to see the extent, if any, to which the last flavor of firmware gets its flaws corrected ?
It is packed but not gone....

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
“I don’t want this to be a sales pitch”

Sure.

“Better linearity, lower noise”.

Guess he’s been reading the reviews.

Every version “totally transforms” the sound!

Kind of weird to buy a ‘blank’ DAC and get Ted’s idea of better sound dumped into it every few months. Subjectivist? Or Ted-Ivist?

In addition to the “wife from the kitchen” cliche, we have to add the “i wasn’t expecting such a dramatic difference”

I'm holding out for the self-driving car version of the firmware, as mentioned in the video :) Hope they fix all the distortions before then, as I don't want my car to see blurry noise instead of the truck heading towards me!

Krunok

Major Contributor

Well, when I check his outfit that Ted guy certainly looks like a true mountain climber to me. :D

It would be interesting to see to what extent is the "FPGA solves everything" religion going to hold in their church.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See the positive side of it: every time Nyquist Shannon is updated, so is your DAC, isn't this praiseworthy? ;) On top of that, since it is FPGA, it is only very clever programmers who can do it. It's a bit like having our own personal award-winning wine (or tea) taster by our side.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On tea, when I was in Egypt there was a habit among some Egyptian's to stew tea leaves to increase their hit, it looked revolting to me.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On tea, when I was in Egypt there was a habit among some Egyptian's to stew tea leaves to increase their hit, it looked revolting to me.
My father in law used to put the tea-pot on the back of the coal burning stove so it stayed warm and the tea stewed. He called it "Tinker's tea".
It was not to my taste, though I prefer a strong brew.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the 12th firmware update or so in the product life cycle, by the way.

Top Bottom