• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will still match you. Suggest we throw in a Topping DAC...or maybe a USB dongle converter, to make it more fun if they can’t tell.

If we make it “a charity of your choice” I will do more.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
dongle.jpg

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
for reference, the custom billet encasement for the 250$ MSRP topping d50s

1570205255210.png

Reactions: 617

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
for reference, the custom billet encasement for the 250$ MSRP topping d50s

View attachment 35140

It's important not to take manufacturer's claims too seriously. CNC milling can turn a billet into a nice piece of sculpture. Mechanical strength? Yeah, maybe. But a lot of that depends on the alloy used and the finished design... keeping in mind that we're talking about a component body and not the Space Shuttle.

As for "anti interference", or what is more properly referred to as EMI/RFI protection, it's debatable whether an aluminum case with gaping hopes for displays and connectors is really going to make a difference. Far more gains are possible by using good power supplies, smart use of internal shielding, and good circuit topologies.

da Choge

Forum Donor
In response to unrelenting rigorous testing and criticism of flagship DirectStream DAC at the Audio Science Review site, PS Audio releases revolutionary new hardware upgrade that places the DirectStream DAC's fidelity well above all competitors' similarly priced units. Remarkably, PS Audio is able to offer this new technology upgrade for the nominal price of $1500.00.

index.php

THANK YOU, 617 !!! For much needed comic relief in this somewhat controversial thread. Didn't really need any caption other than your brilliant graphic, but I couldn't help myself.

Last edited:

Gazjam

PS Audio didn’t post that.

dont be a Dick...ffs.
Is that even your own Photoshop?

Last edited:

Gazjam

Posted that as not all members know the difference (like all forums) between what’s real and what’s not.

yes, I do have a sense of humour. :)

Last edited:

da Choge

Forum Donor
PS Audio didn’t post that.

dont be a Dick...ffs.
Is that even your own Photoshop?
If your post was directed toward me, no offense taken and I credited the original poster at the bottom of my post. I'm not necessarily on one side of the fence or the other (but I am an avid ASR reader and fan); I just thought the Photoshop was genius and hilarious. Obviously, my last post was satirical as well. Kudos again to original poster 617 !!!

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally, a DAC that sounds like a $12,000 vinyl rig! And at half the price too. The wife will surely hear the difference from the kitchen. :cool:
I would think that the 'wife' reference would have been relegated to self-parody, and reviewers who attempted to use it would be banned by any editor from that kind of copy. However, a recent 'review' of a five thousand dollar McIntosh preamp (really just some subjective nonsense about soundstage, coherence, and lush 'feel' of the music--talk about mixing metaphors) at hometheaterhifi dot com has the following: Even my wife commented that she loved the way it sounded, and we spent many an evening exploring music together on the couch.

Well, I'm glad the folks at Mac are helping out in the family togetherness department! For 5 thousand dollars, I think it's the least they can do.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I would think that the 'wife' reference would have been relegated to self-parody, and reviewers who attempted to use it would be banned by any editor from that kind of copy. However, a recent 'review' of a five thousand dollar McIntosh preamp (really just some subjective nonsense about soundstage, coherence, and lush 'feel' of the music--talk about mixing metaphors) at hometheaterhifi dot com has the following: Even my wife commented that she loved the way it sounded, and we spent many an evening exploring music together on the couch.

Well, I'm glad the folks at Mac are helping out in the family togetherness department! For 5 thousand dollars, I think it's the least they can do.

She strips out of the hearing aids after dinner...

Gazjam

If your post was directed toward me, no offense taken and I credited the original poster at the bottom of my post. I'm not necessarily on one side of the fence or the other (but I am an avid ASR reader and fan); I just thought the Photoshop was genius and hilarious. Obviously, my last post was satirical as well. Kudos again to original poster 617 !!!

None given!

tytus_s

If you just want cd performance, apple dongle is your friend. It's good, it's competent. Why bother spending thousands for shit???
[sad face]

There is no DAC in Apple's dongle. It's just wired so that iPhone recognizes it as an audio device and sends audio signal from the internal DAC.
It means that you have to buy an iPhone for this to work.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There is no DAC in Apple's dongle. It's just wired so that iPhone recognizes it as an audio device and sends audio signal from the internal DAC.
It means that you have to buy an iPhone for this to work.

What are you talking about...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Are you sure that there's a DAC inside a $9 dongle? And not just audio signal sent from the phones internal DAC?

Who told you there wasn't a DAC in the dongle? It has actually been tested here.

Top Bottom