• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

allhifi

Hmmmm .... So, you're disappointed, in this "specification":

" ...We see a rise in noise floor with some peaks and valleys. Nothing of audible concern but a bit disappointing."

Are you guys for real ?

You measured : Jitter and noise over S/PDIF and vs. USB. AND between 135-to-140 db down, you BELIEVE it's
nothing of "audible" concern -yet disappointing nonetheless ! Priceless. As you guys are.

Keeping technical/performance criteria in-check is laudable. Suggesting one device (audio component)
is better/worse in use and sound quality by 'test results (signal generators/spectrum analyzer) is naive -and
meaningless.

peter jasz

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hmmmm .... So, you're disappointed, in this "specification":

" ...We see a rise in noise floor with some peaks and valleys. Nothing of audible concern but a bit disappointing."

Are you guys for real ?

You measured : Jitter and noise over S/PDIF and vs. USB. AND between 135-to-140 db down, you BELIEVE it's
nothing of "audible" concern -yet disappointing nonetheless ! Priceless. As you guys are.

Keeping technical/performance criteria in-check is laudable. Suggesting one device (audio component)
is better/worse in use and sound quality by 'test results (signal generators/spectrum analyzer) is naive -and
meaningless.

peter jasz

Hi Pete
I am partly in agreement with your statements but the whole point of a DAC/Amp is to be invisible in the chain and let the source file and reproducing speakers/headphones do the talking, don't you agree?
Ven

PaulZH

I don’t see a “known firmware bugs” section.

This doc is made by a general user, not Pro-Ject

The only firmware related issue I see being discussed on this forum, on Head-Fi, on CA Forum, on Pink Fish Media, is just the MQA bug. But that's easily solved, as discussed in posts above.

There is at least a second one: noise or pops when playing a DSD file after a PCM file.

allhifi

Amir: I'm trying to understand your (publication's ) 'Raison d'etre' ?

And so thought an analogy may be in order: What specification for a Porsche '911'
can be shown to demonstrate (prove unequivocally) to be the finest sports car extant ?

Thanks,

peter jasz

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

And so thought an analogy may be in order: What specification for a Porsche '911'
can be shown to demonstrate (prove unequivocally) to be the finest sports car extant ?

Thanks,

peter jasz
In what area(s) of performance?

allhifi

Hi Pete
I am partly in agreement with your statements but the whole point of a DAC/Amp is to be invisible in the chain and let the source file and reproducing speakers/headphones do the talking, don't you agree?
Ven

Ven: Indeed, I do -agree.

AND, are Amir's "specifications" (test results) supposed to give us insight into superior resolution/accuracy and 'tonality' -as we hear/feel/sense it ?

pj

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Seat-of-the-pants 'Excellence': the subjective feel, thrill of this superb (near undisputed) best sports car.

That criteria.

pj
That's not a quantifiable area of performance, such as 0-60 acceleration or 60-0 braking, skid pad G's, rear wheel HP and Torque, etc.

The "subjective feel" part is related to imagination, not real performance. An area of which I believe you use a lot of.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Seat-of-the-pants 'Excellence': the subjective feel, thrill of this superb (near undisputed) best sports car.

That criteria.

pj

Thanks,

peter jasz

It would be more like comparing two different engine control modules.

The 'car' in your example would represent the entire sound system. The DAC being tested would be the control module CPU.

You seem confused what to expect from this site..consistently.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Ven: Indeed, I do -agree.

AND, are Amir's "specifications" (test results) supposed to give us insight into superior resolution/accuracy and 'tonality' -as we hear/feel/sense it ?

pj
Hence the focus towards source file and speakers is paramount. You shouldn't really feel/sense the DAC or Amp or cables in the chain, if you do then this is adding colour portraying a different picture. Having said that, this Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital is a good piece of kit but slightly expensive in comparison.

Coming to your automobile analogy, think of DAC and Amp like core engine system (Pistons, Con-rods, Crankshaft etc) which you shouldn't feel, it's the drive you need to feel

allhifi

That's not a quantifiable area of performance, such as 0-60 acceleration or 60-0 braking, skid pad G's, rear wheel HP and Torque, etc.

The "subjective feel" part is related to imagination, not real performance. An area of which I believe you use a lot of.

.... And in the most important area/criteria available to us (humans? lol) -user/driver/listener interpretation ('feel') you are completely devoid
-a lot.

If I would put your answer/comment (to my question) to professional race car driver's, they would laugh themselves to injury ...

pj

allhifi

It would be more like comparing two different engine control modules.

The 'car' in your example would represent the entire sound system. The DAC being tested would be the control module CPU.

You seem confused what to expect from this site..consistently.

I see. OK, how does the sound system 'sound' when this/that particular ECM module is installed ?
No difference ?

pj

allhifi

Hence the focus towards source file and speakers is paramount. You shouldn't really feel/sense the DAC or Amp or cables in the chain, if you do then this is adding colour portraying a different picture. Having said that, this Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital is a good piece of kit but slightly expensive in comparison.

Coming to your automobile analogy, think of DAC and Amp like core engine system (Pistons, Con-rods, Crankshaft etc) which you shouldn't feel, it's the drive you need to feel

Yee-hah, Give the man a cigar, for he says (quite correctly):

" .. it's the drive you need to feel."

Something like: " It's the 'sound' you need to hear " (No ?)

pj

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Yee-hah, Give the man a cigar, for he says (quite correctly):

" .. it's the drive you need to feel."

Something like: " It's the 'sound' you need to hear " (No ?)

pj
You are funny :) Anyway, do you own this DAC/Amp? Can you share your impressions?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I see. OK, how does the sound system 'sound' when this/that particular ECM module is installed ?
No difference ?

pj

If it has the same specs and measurements as another, no difference.

Just like a DAC. Replacing one with another with equivalent measured specs will result in no audible difference.

Top Bottom