• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
List all the gear, especially the server/streamer which sounds identical to an iPhone/dongle.

I generally talk about systems used in my reviews. Details on the streamer I'm using should be appearing around the March issue of AudioXpress.

I strongly strongly suggest you do a level-matched double blind test- ears only, no peeking. Without that most basic control, you'll come to some fanciful and fun but incorrect conclusions. If you need to peek to hear something, you can't hear it.

James Romeyn

Dealer
Except listening to music is something I do most of the time for enjoyment, for recreation, for relaxation, to be rejuvenated, all right brain activities. I don't need to look, but being blindfolded and "tested" (left brain) could not be more diametrically opposed to my "reasons" and purpose for listening to music.

Your point appears to be, if someone can not pass your blind listening test, then that proves they don't actually "hear" a difference. It might, but it might also mean that a blind test is useless in deciding which component someone should own and listen to.

None of my gear looks that great. The integrated is OK with plexiglass face piece, and the speakers look OK, but no one on earth would call my server and streamer handsome; they are just little almost invisible boxes. Looks is the absolutely last reason I bought them.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Evaluating equipment is different than listening to music for relaxation. Don't confuse the two.

If you don't implement basic controls, your evaluations are almost assuredly going to be incorrect. If that doesn't bother you, great, but an audio science site would not be a place where those evaluations will be taken seriously. For accurate evaluations, trust your ears, not your eyes or your lying brain.

Shangri-La

Has anybody used battery to power the DAC? The 18650 is 3.7V each and the DAC is labeled 5V. What is the voltage range the DAC can take?

I wanted to ask Pro-Ject but their contact form redirects me to a local dealer. This is pretty poor tech support. I have never seen any manufacturer does that.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Has anybody used battery to power the DAC? The 18650 is 3.7V each and the DAC is labeled 5V. What is the voltage range the DAC can take?

I wanted to ask Pro-Ject but their contact form redirects me to a local dealer. This is pretty poor tech support. I have never seen any manufacturer does that.
There is no benefit's to using batteries. Don't waste your time.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Then the designer clearly doesnt know what he's talking about lol.

If he's not presenting either measurements or controlled listening data, then either he may indeed not know what he's talking about or he does know what he's talking about and what he's talking about is hype and marketing, not technical reality.

I had a lot of issues with ground loop-induced hum, and like you, I was unable to find help from the factory, getting shunted off to the US distributor. The US distributor was totally unresponsive to my inquiries on fixing it.

Shangri-La

If he's not presenting either measurements or controlled listening data, then either he may indeed not know what he's talking about or he does know what he's talking about and what he's talking about is hype and marketing, not technical reality.

I had a lot of issues with ground loop-induced hum, and like you, I was unable to find help from the factory, getting shunted off to the US distributor. The US distributor was totally unresponsive to my inquiries on fixing it.

Or perhaps he doesnt feel the need to present all the technical details to everybody, which is totally reasonable. I'm willing to believe he's innocent until *proven* guilty. That is he's knowledgeable until *proven* otherwise. The company's poor technical support does not equate to their devs being unknowledgeable.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Those appear to be two different products.

Top Bottom