• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Next question. If I upgrade my sub to something like an SVS which also has DSP/eq options, would I leave those off and rely on ARC or is there some benefit to using both?

Livnmuskoka

Next question. If I upgrade my sub to something like an SVS which also has DSP/eq options, would I leave those off and rely on ARC or is there some benefit to using both?

I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X subwoofer with ARC, but I'm only using the Anthem MRX520 to calibrate the 3.1 system. ARC did a great job smoothing it out up to where I stop at 900hz, then the Uni-Fi reference speakers smooth out very well on their own after that. They also have a natural dip in the fatiguing 1khz to 4khz area which my ears are very sensitive to.
I would think the ARC system is also better and more accurate than the SVS system, so I'd use ARC only.
But it's nice to have room correction built in to a sub if you ever want to use it in a different system that doesn't have EQ.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I have a Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X subwoofer with ARC, but I'm only using the Anthem MRX520 to calibrate the 3.1 system. ARC did a great job smoothing it out up to where I stop at 900hz, then the Uni-Fi reference speakers smooth out very well on their own after that. They also have a natural dip in the fatiguing 1khz to 4khz area which my ears are very sensitive to.
I would think the ARC system is also better and more accurate than the SVS system, so I'd use ARC only.
But it's nice to have room correction built in to a sub if you ever want to use it in a different system that doesn't have EQ.
Thanks!

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was looking for a phono preamp that would work well through the analog input of my Paradigm PW-Link streamer/ARC. Flipped a coin between the Schiit and the Pluto 2, Pluto 2 won and with my AT150MLX cartridge the gain is perfect and it's dead quiet. Quite happy with the setup. Finding the analog input in the new Play-Fi app could be easier but it works.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I was looking for a phono preamp that would work well through the analog input of my Paradigm PW-Link streamer/ARC. Flipped a coin between the Schiit and the Pluto 2, Pluto 2 won and with my AT150MLX cartridge the gain is perfect and it's dead quiet. Quite happy with the setup. Finding the analog input in the new Play-Fi app could be easier but it works.
I have the unison, not the ARC, but on mine, if you hold down the input button for 5 seconds, it turns on automatic detection so you can switch to analog in by just starting your turntable. It seems to turn off when you reboot the unit, but otherwise works nicely.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the unison, not the ARC, but on mine, if you hold down the input button for 5 seconds, it turns on automatic detection so you can switch to analog in by just starting your turntable. It seems to turn off when you reboot the unit, but otherwise works nicely.

Yup mine was disabled after the recent update I guess Thanks

buzwork

Anyone have a source for the ML Unison or PW Link for less than $199? Only finding the PW Link on Paradigm's site for $199 now.

Eruditarian

Is the recommended order of operations for expanding upon a stereo setup generally:
1. Add a sub
2. Add Room correction?

Just got some LS50 Metas, and was thinking about trying the PW-link (optical passthrough) to help correct, but was wondering if I should spring for a small sub first (live in an apt). The only thing is, I do see that the PW-link is discontinued, although it seems they're still selling some directly on the store ATM.

buzwork

Is the recommended order of operations for expanding upon a stereo setup generally:
1. Add a sub
2. Add Room correction?

Just got some LS50 Metas, and was thinking about trying the PW-link (optical passthrough) to help correct, but was wondering if I should spring for a small sub first (live in an apt). The only thing is, I do see that the PW-link is discontinued, although it seems they're still selling some directly on the store ATM.

I'd grab the Martin Logan version. Same device but has Airplay. I've been happy with mine. $199 on ML's website for the Unison (PW Link). They also have the Forte (PW Amp) for $249.

dr0ss

Are the outputs (digital and analogue) the same other than the latter has been processed by a (poor) DAC? I ask because the manual for the Unison says that to hook up a sub, you put the sub on the RCA outs and the main amp on the toslink output. If the signal is essentially the same, then the device is not doing normal sub management, eg level matching. With the Forte, the dedicated/labeled sub out (and some of the discussion in the other thread) suggests that on that device there is real management being done.

WesParker

A quick glance at the manual would make me think the Unison intends to control the output of the subwoofer using the ARC function. It definitely does not have a dedicated subwoofer processor. The manual specifically states using the subwoofer's local volume and crossover controls to "balance" the sub. Then using ARC for final tuning. With the Forte, the manual lists similar install instructions. I wouldn't be surprised if the subwoofer output isn't just a summed full range signal with some sort of filter to roll off high freq. I doubt there is anything more comprehensive than ARC to control the sub. I wouldn't expect that it has any better features than the Unison for subwoofer control.

I don't think dynamic subwoofer "level matching" is a thing. You have to set the level of the subwoofer manually, then it should follow suit with the volume control of the Unison/Forte. The closest thing i could imagine is some preamplifiers will let you adjust the subwoofer level output, thereby negating the need to manually adjust the subwoofer. But that's more convenience than anything. Set it once and you are finished.

dr0ss

I think you're right on the levels. If the amp only has low-pass filter, it might as well not have any filter at all (since many or most subs have their own low filtering). With the Minidsp HD, for example, I think you can actively cross over the sub as well as do room EQ.

Eruditarian

A quick glance at the manual would make me think the Unison intends to control the output of the subwoofer using the ARC function. It definitely does not have a dedicated subwoofer processor. The manual specifically states using the subwoofer's local volume and crossover controls to "balance" the sub. Then using ARC for final tuning. With the Forte, the manual lists similar install instructions. I wouldn't be surprised if the subwoofer output isn't just a summed full range signal with some sort of filter to roll off high freq. I doubt there is anything more comprehensive than ARC to control the sub. I wouldn't expect that it has any better features than the Unison for subwoofer control.

I don't think dynamic subwoofer "level matching" is a thing. You have to set the level of the subwoofer manually, then it should follow suit with the volume control of the Unison/Forte. The closest thing i could imagine is some preamplifiers will let you adjust the subwoofer level output, thereby negating the need to manually adjust the subwoofer. But that's more convenience than anything. Set it once and you are finished.
This was my understanding from reviewing the manual as well - in this case (control implicitly via ARC), does it actually make a difference if the sub is connected directly to the Unison, or via the dedicated output on a downstream amp?

dr0ss

A question for anyone with the device (I didn't see it answered above): does it introduce a perceptible lag in the output? If you use it to view video, will it be out of sync? I believe most AVRs with room correction can handle the synchronization internally because they control both video and audio streams. I was planning to use an ADC/SBC/DAC homebrew solution for room EQ, but now think that it ill be too slow. If the DSP hardware in the Link/Unison is better maybe that will work instead (especially if just using optical-optical)?

Eruditarian

Is it normal for ARC's configuration tests to only activate the subwoofer when outputting sound for one of the speakers? For some reason, regardless of whether I use LFE input or L/R on my subwoofer with manual mode, ARC only activates the subwoofer when running the right speaker measurements. o_O

It makes me think I should actually perform measurements with the sub off...

My setup here is Unison -> SMSL VMV A2 -> KC62 (I prefer using it in manual since LFE doesn't seem to work as well)

musicguy

I read through the first 8 or so pages and I have a couple questions.

1. Was the popping between tracks ever fixed with an update? Is it only when using toslink out or also analog? I could go either way with my setup.

2. Right now it's $199 for the Paradigm and ML version, is the only difference between them that the ML version has airplay?

3. If you set the volume to a specific level using the mute/volume down function, is that saved through power cycles?

It seems like this is a very good way to get into room correction on the cheap.

TIA.

nathan

1. I never heard this so I cannot comment
2. I have both and that is the only difference I have found. Well, the ML documentation is a bit better, too.
3. I'm not sure. I don't vary my volume much between sessions so it seems like this is true but it might be defaulting back to something other than precisely where I left it....but it sure seems like it remembers the volume, at least for the analog input.

musicguy

I guess I'll give the ML version a shot. I can use analog in and out after my pre before my amp.

al2002

Be careful. Make sure that the ML version will run ARC Genesis. It is listed on the ARC site as being compatible, but when I asked, ML said the Forte was not compatible.

Top Bottom