• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Hey everybody, I got the Martin Logan Unison up and running today and wanted to report back. First, I have not had any of the popping or other issues reported by some users. Also setup of DTS play fi was surprisingly easy (even streaming from the integrated Tidal). I think it helped that this thread set my expectations so low!

In A/B testing with ARC on and off, there is a VERY clear difference, although I feel like I am not sophisticated enough to explain exactly what. Here is my best shot - with ARC turned off, the music sounds more natural and warm, but overall very mottled/disjointed. With ARC on, it sounds a bit more artificial and bright, but the soundstage and timing feel dramatically improved. I can also much more clearly hear individual bass notes.

Earlier in the thread, people offered tips to lessen the brightness, but it sounds like it is easier to pick a fix after reviewing the curve reports. As such, those are attached and I would REALLY appreciate if someone could look and offer any tweaks or suggestions.

(My chain: my turntable (analogue in) / Tidal through UAAP (with an optical converter into the digital in) --> Unison optical out --> SMSL M500 DAC ---> Emotiva BasX --> Kef Q150s and budget sub).

Attachments

• ARC Results 2 (1).pdf
    100.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey everybody, I got the Martin Logan Unison up and running today and wanted to report back. First, I have not had any of the popping or other issues reported by some users. Also setup of DTS play fi was surprisingly easy (even streaming from the integrated Tidal). I think it helped that this thread set my expectations so low!

In A/B testing with ARC on and off, there is a VERY clear difference, although I feel like I am not sophisticated enough to explain exactly what. Here is my best shot - while turned off, the music sounds more natural and warm, but overall very disjointed. With ARC on, it sounds more artificial and bright, but the soundstage and timing feel dramatically improved.

Earlier in the thread, people offered tips to lessen the brightness, but it sounds like it is easier to pick a fix after reviewing the curve reports. As such, those are attached and I would REALLY appreciate if someone could look and offer any tweaks or suggestions.

(My chain: my turntable (analogue in) / Tidal through UAAP (with an optical converter into the digital in) --> Unison optical out --> SMSL M500 DAC ---> Emotiva BasX --> Kef Q150s and budget sub).

I'm not seeing attachments.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
How does it sound if you limit correction to 200-300hz? Always worth a go
I will give it a shot, but I really like the correction in the prime vocal ranges, especially as sound stage is concerned, so I don't know if its worth it to loose that.

If that doesn't work, any other thoughts?

Gphoton

I like to use ARC to correct the room, then put a 4dB (modify to preference) downward flat slope from low to high frequency.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I like to use ARC to correct the room, then put a 4dB (modify to preference) downward flat slope from low to high frequency.
Is there an easy way to explain how to do that? The instructions I have read for ARC don't go into details about how to manipulate the advanced settings...

Gphoton

Is there an easy way to explain how to do that? The instructions I have read for ARC don't go into details about how to manipulate the advanced settings...
In the PC version, it is fairly straightforward. I have not used smartphone versions. Just don't do dramatic changes, downward tilt is an option in the modification settings

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
New software updates rolled out yesterday including new Play-Fi control app UI and bug fixes. One notable fix is that I can now transfer media server source playback from Android phone to the Paradigm which has never worked for me until now
Screenshot_20210902-080913.png
Screenshot_20210902-081345.png

Livnmuskoka

In A/B testing with ARC on and off, there is a VERY clear difference, although I feel like I am not sophisticated enough to explain exactly what. Here is my best shot - with ARC turned off, the music sounds more natural and warm, but overall very mottled/disjointed. With ARC on, it sounds a bit more artificial and bright, but the soundstage and timing feel dramatically improved. I can also much more clearly hear individual bass notes.

Limit the correction to 2khz instead of 5khz. Your system has a natural drop in the most fatiguing 2khz to 3khz area that you are boosting back up to 5khz with ARC. It will probably sound better and less fatiguing.

Livnmuskoka

Earlier in this thread it's mentioned that optical input and output to a better dac will drastically reduce distortion. But using the Unison's Airplay or Play-Fi with optical out to a better dac should have the same positive effect right?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Earlier in this thread it's mentioned that optical input and output to a better dac will drastically reduce distortion. But using the Unison's Airplay or Play-Fi with optical out to a better dac should have the same positive effect right?
Could but wouldn’t you lose ARC ?

Livnmuskoka

ARC works with the digital in and out. It is the recommended way for best SINAD.

Yes, but would using the PW Link's Play-Fi or the Unison's Airplay, then optical out to a dac also have the best SINAD? Or you must have optical input and output for that?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Yes, but would using the PW Link's Play-Fi or the Unison's Airplay, then optical out to a dac also have the best SINAD? Or you must have optical input and output for that?

I don't see why, and even if it did it certainly wouldn't be audible. Use the optical if necessary for practical reasons (I use it for Audirvana) not for SINAD you wouldn't hear.

Livnmuskoka

I don't see why, and even if it did it certainly wouldn't be audible. Use the optical if necessary for practical reasons (I use it for Audirvana) not for SINAD you wouldn't hear.

It's just peace of mind to keep SINAD low, especially when I'm going to use it to an RME adi-2 dac and Rotel RB1582mk2 amp that both have low SINAD as well.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
It's just peace of mind to keep SINAD low, especially when I'm going to use it to an RME adi-2 dac and Rotel RB1582mk2 amp that both have low SINAD as well.

Yeah well that kind of peace of mind can make us crazy :). I'm also feeding an RME.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Limit the correction to 2khz instead of 5khz. Your system has a natural drop in the most fatiguing 2khz to 3khz area that you are boosting back up to 5khz with ARC. It will probably sound better and less fatiguing.
That was part of the answer. The other was using the advanced directions on where to take the five measurements (in an x pattern 1 to 2 feet from prime listening position) and doing the testing patterns at a higher volume (it was curving at a floor of 50db vs 60 or 70db). I'm traveling, but I can upload the new PDF summary when I get home.

Top Bottom