• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use the fix volume output, is it below the 1.3 volt limit where distortion happens?
You can fix the volume at whatever level you want. It stays where it was before you put it in fixed mode.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- The PW Link updated itself on two separate occasions as recently as two weeks ago.

How do you find the firmware version on this thing - do you use the Play-Fi app? The manual says to check the Paradigm web site for firmware updates but I don't see anything.

Lately it seems the pops are worse than ever; they seem louder and now they are annoying me when they really did not bother me before.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you find the firmware version on this thing - do you use the Play-Fi app?
The PW/Amp firmware gets updated through 2 Apps. The Play-Fi App, and the ARC app.

If I remember correctly, the ARC app has only updated the PW/Amp once for me, on first use. However, as the ARC3 app (Windows/Mac) gets updated every month or so, I would not be surprised to see more updates.

The Play-Fi app updates the PW/amp montly or so. I do not now whether the updates only apply to the Play-Fi functionality, or other functions as well.

fungd

There were multiple times when I opened the Play-Fi app and when reconnecting to my Link, it would tell me that it was doing updates. I didn't have to do anything.

That being said, I have not seen an update for a while, and I still have pops (no increase in frequency or volume).

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the info. I updated with the Play-Fi app (hadn't used that in a while). As expected I still have the pops but now I will keep up with updates and hope for a fix...

vin63

I got my pw-link yesterday, listen through it for about 3 hours. I using the TOS-link out with volume fix 6 clicks down from maximum. All listening is to my mp3 files on my phone through the play-fi app. No pops. The bass is fuller then through bluetooth to the same receiver that the pw-link is connected too. So far I'm happy, will run ARC tomorrow and listen some more.

batfunk

Hi! Received the PW link a few days ago, my verdict:fantastic!
My connection:media server on nas->wifi->pw link->tos link out->tos link in dac Teac ud501->analog out->analog in amp teac ai 501.
Volume of pw link is 2 clicks away from max.
The room correction works perfectly, bass are perfect, play fi android app works perfectly too(Tidal, media server) , no clicks, no distortion.
Radio internet is flawless too.
Minus:
Apparently, spotify connect doesn't work with pw link unless you've got spotify premium.
Media server was not detected first, I had to decrease a bit(900 to 800 )delay in media server settings on nas.
Pw link doesn't recognize files above 24 bits 192hz.i have some DoP files,but I can still listen to them directly, without pw link, thanks to my direct nas->usb->dac connection. But I think I will convert all my sacd iso files to 24 bits 192 flac, room correction is so great!
I paid it 314 us dollars(to receive it in France, all taxes included), it costs 560 us dollars in France!!!
A steal, highly recommended!

batfunk

May be a stupid question:in my configuration, can I use pw link's tos link in and analog in to connect my cd player and vinyl turn table)? If so, all my sources can benefit of the room correction and teac dac, that will be great!

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May be a stupid question:in my configuration, can I use pw link's tos link in and analog in to connect my cd player and vinyl turn table)? If so, all my sources can benefit of the room correction and teac dac, that will be great!
The way it seems to work is that a toslink signal will override the analog input. So you can do this, you just have to have to shut off the digital source before it will allow you to play the analog input. Maybe not the nicest way to handle this but good enough I would say.

batfunk

The way it seems to work is that a toslink signal will override the analog input. So you can do this, you just have to have to shut off the digital source before it will allow you to play the analog input. Maybe not the nicest way to handle this but good enough I would say.
Great! I always shut down unused sources so it's ok. I will make a test, but I have to buy a new tos link cable, I used cd one for the PW link lol

fungd

I am curious about this as well...
Anyone have experience?
I have used a DEQ2496 in the past to correct for a subwoofer. Worked very well for that application, and with Toslink in/out, you can keep the signal in a purely digital domain. I've long retired that subwoofer, and the DEQ has been sitting in its box awaiting eBay.

As a current user of the PW-Link, I would note the following differences:

- PW-Link uses multiple mike measurements. DEQ uses one.
- PW-Link app is easier to use, as the DEQ requires you to interface with a front panel.
- PW-Link uses FIR filtering whereas the DEQ uses IIR. You can read up on the differences, but one of the nice things about the DEQ is that there's a 31-band configurable parametric equalizer for easy on-the-fly tweaking.

I unfortunately don't have an apples-to-apples comparison, as I used them at different times/different systems.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No pops now. Even with the pause/resume which was almost always creating a pop. I just don't get what's going on with this thing. I did not change anything on the PW Link, except that it was turned off for a long time because I stopped using it. Possibly there was an update on the bluesound node, which is the source I am using. It would be nice to figure this out.

Jim777

Forum Donor
No pops now. Even with the pause/resume which was almost always creating a pop. I just don't get what's going on with this thing. I did not change anything on the PW Link, except that it was turned off for a long time because I stopped using it. Possibly there was an update on the bluesound node, which is the source I am using. It would be nice to figure this out.
Good for you, I decided to return mine since it would stream just fine, but I had irremediable issues using the optical input. At least the return process appears to be simple, so I wouldn't necessarily discourage people from trying it if they purchase it directly from Paradigm.

vin63

So i ran Genesis Arc Room Correction and the result was very nice. Cleaned up a bass bloom around 50 Hz and fill in a hole around 170 Hz. I'm feeding PW-Link into a Sony STR-DN1080 receiver, which has it's own room correction so i decided to run the Sony room correction and compare the results. The Sony was horrible, the bass grew louder and male and female voices became very thin. For my birthday my wife bought me the EARSTUDIO ES100 which i plug into the analog inputs of the PW-Link. Wow, all i can say is wow. Way better. I don't why. But a highly recommended combination.

jaykay77

Just got mine
Setup is a breeze
But...

The volume issue is strange.

Sometimes the sound is really compressed and bad.

I’m doing digital in from cca, digital out to a dac.

Please help!

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
jaykay I do not know what the problem is, and hope you can fix it.

I do have a comment. Almost every problem with the PW/Link posted here so far has to do with using the optical digital input, and many of the problems also involve using digital out to a DAC. Many or most of the people with issues are using it this way.

I suppose if you have a CCA and an unused DAC, then why not. But there is no scientific evidence that this route is more accurate than using the CCA analog out (which Amir measures as excellent), and the Analog ins/outs on the PW Link. Most owners who use it this way (including myself) have no problems. Several posters here have given up on the PW/Link because of digital input problems.

So why the problems? The Martin Logan/ Paradigm wireless products seem to be aimed at a luxury lifestyle market, not audiophiles. The choice to include only an optical digital input suggests their primary purpose was to provide digital connection to the PCM output of TV's.

So, if you are able to solve the issue with digital that's great! I hope someone here provides a solution. But if you are not, I think you should consider using the analog input. The improvement that sophisticated room compensation makes in most rooms is tremendous...and the difference between using digital or analog inputs is tiny (or perhaps non-existent) in comparison. The PW/Link will re-sample any digital signal fed to it. So you are not getting a bit-perfect transfer either way.

Last edited:

jaykay77

jaykay I do not know what the problem is, and hope you can fix it.

I do have a comment. Almost every problem with the PW/Link posted here so far has to do with using the optical digital input, and many of the problems also involve using digital out to a DAC. Many or most of the people with issues are using it this way.

I suppose if you have a CCA and an unused DAC, then why not. But there is no scientific evidence that this route is more accurate than using the CCA analog out (which Amir measures as excellent), and the Analog ins/outs on the PW Link. Most owners who use it this way (including myself) have no problems. Several posters here have given up on the PW/Link because of digital input problems.

So why the problems? The Martin Logan/ Paradigm wireless products seem to be aimed at a luxury lifestyle market, not audiophiles. The choice to include only an optical digital input suggests their primary purpose was to provide digital connection to the PCM output of TV's.

So, if you are able to solve the issue with digital that's great! I hope someone here provides a solution. But if you are not, I think you should consider using the analog input. The improvement that sophisticated room compensation makes in most rooms is tremendous...and the difference between using digital or analog inputs is tiny (or perhaps non-existent) in comparison. The PW/Link will re-sample any digital signal fed to it. So you are not getting a bit-perfect transfer either way.

Going back to paradigm I think...

Gonna give it another shot tomorrow but the sound is shit...sounds muffled and compressed it’s really strange.

invaderzim

Going back to paradigm I think...

Gonna give it another shot tomorrow but the sound is shit...sounds muffled and compressed it’s really strange.

My first one sounded like that through the analog in/out but not the digital. I never experimented with it to find the cause though. I still haven't opened the replacement.

jaykay77

My first one sounded like that through the analog in/out but not the digital. I never experimented with it to find the cause though. I still haven't opened the replacement.
Emailed them last night

If they want send me a swap I’ll give it a go.

The sound reminds me of when an amp goes into protection mode and reduces the signal. Happens on any heavy bass passage or anything super dynamic.

Very strange

Top Bottom