• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

pbc

Yeah sorry should have clarified I picked up the Unison. I don't need Airplay but my phone seems to insist on installing it this way when I select the Playfi device as the WiFi access point.

pbc

Managed to use an old Android phone to set it up. Then could use my iPhone to connect via DTS app after that.

But sometimes even though the light is solid white the app doesn't connect to the device. Other times during playback it spins saying trying to connect. Is that a common thing with this device?

hpp8140

Managed to use an old Android phone to set it up. Then could use my iPhone to connect via DTS app after that.

But sometimes even though the light is solid white the app doesn't connect to the device. Other times during playback it spins saying trying to connect. Is that a common thing with this device?
Yes, had the same issues using wifi...now I have the unit hardwired for hires.

What are you trying to play? I find it is better to use Bubbleupnp app to stream local DLNA, qobuz, tidal to the device instead, but don't think it's available in apple. I also have better luck with hires using the playfi app and select transfer playback to allow the device to stream directly, like chromecast.

pbc

Yes, had the same issues using wifi...now I have the unit hardwired for hires.

What are you trying to play? I find it is better to use Bubbleupnp app to stream local DLNA, qobuz, tidal to the device instead, but don't think it's available in apple. I also have better luck with hires using the playfi app and select transfer playback to allow the device to stream directly, like chromecast.
Just Tidal. If I hardwire will need to buy a power line adapter which is a bit of a pain.

Subjective, but are folks using an external DAC with these units or with ARC is the sound good enough?

hpp8140

Some are using external dacs....don't have experience with DACs to comment. I currently use FIIO D3 DAC from my Tv to the unit. I am watching the WIIM pro streamer coming out to use as the DAC from the TV and hopefully ditch the use of playfi for streaming.

Edit: oops wrong thread...I was referring to the ML Forte amp for comments above

Last edited:

pbc

That's a judgment call. If you don't mind using your phone and the playFi app as the remote control for volume, you can do that.

I found that to be cumbersome. App loses connection a lot, etc. And if there are other people wanting to control the volume, they have to fire up an app to do that. Changing inputs is a hassle, etc.

There are buttons on the device of course, but you are asking about remote controls, so I assume walking over to the device is not convenient. (I know, in my room, it is not convenient.)

So I went the route of an external DAC with a remote control. This was I can use it like a regular stereo, leave the playFI unit at unity gain, and on a single input.

Of course, that whole single input thing becomes more complicated if you have multiple sources. Again, you have to walk over and manually switch inputs to be most reliable.

(Ironic that this amazing little device is missing those two key features: Remote control for volume and source selection. If it had those, it might have actually been a hit and would still be in production instead of these companies selling off the gear at 50% of MSRP to deplete their inventory.)

Just reading a few posts and came across this as I was wondering about volume control. Would likely just use the remote with my SMSL AO200 but was curious about how gain matching would work here given the app, Unison and Preamp volume controls.

When you say Unity gain…how do you set it?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just Tidal. If I hardwire will need to buy a power line adapter which is a bit of a pain.

Subjective, but are folks using an external DAC with these units or with ARC is the sound good enough?
Doesn't cost much to improve on the mediocre internal DAC. I use RME, Schitt and Topping DACs in my three systems.

pbc

Doesn't cost much to improve on the mediocre internal DAC. I use RME, Schitt and Topping DACs in my three systems.
Just wondering how many conversions I need. Right now I have the Unison going into my Subwoofer which performs bass management and then out from the sub to the SMSL AO200. Not sure if adding a DAC would cause more harm than good? Would it go between the subwoofer and AO200 or between the Unison and subwoofer?

Maybe something like the Topping E30? Guess it would have to be Unison to E30 out to subwoofer (SVS SB13 Ultra) then to AO200?

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Just wondering how many conversions I need. Right now I have the Unison going into my Subwoofer which performs bass management and then out from the sub to the SMSL AO200. Not sure if adding a DAC would cause more harm than good? Would it go between the subwoofer and AO200 or between the Unison and subwoofer?

Maybe something like the Topping E30? Guess it would have to be Unison to E30 out to subwoofer (SVS SB13 Ultra) then to AO200?
You're not adding a conversion by substituting an external DAC for the DAC in the Unison (assuming Unison --DAC--sub amp--main amp in your case). I have subs in all three systems no problem.

Reactions: pbc

pbc

You're not adding a conversion by substituting an external DAC for the DAC in the Unison (assuming Unison --DAC--sub amp--main amp in your case). I have subs in all three systems no problem.

Is the SMSL SU6 a decent choice to match? Love the internal power supply. Also, is there a preferred way to connect (toslink, RCA, USB)?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Is the SMSL SU6 a decent choice to match? Love the internal power supply. Also, is there a preferred way to connect (toslink, RCA, USB)?
Sure. Toslink is your only digital output.

roby2k

Hi to all....
I'm very happy with paradigm pw link.
I use it with optical out at topping e30 dac, but i'm not sure if the topping has done improvment.

pbc

Sure. Toslink is your only digital output.

I’m a newb with DACs. So by sending it via toslink are you only sending the raw signal and therefore bypassing the DAC of the Unison/Link?

I know @amirm mentioned listening to the unit with ARC was a pleasure and hides any problem with the “broken DAC” so curious what adding the external DAC does to help?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I’m a newb with DACs. So by sending it via toslink are you only sending the raw signal and therefore bypassing the DAC of the Unison/Link?

I know @amirm mentioned listening to the unit with ARC was a pleasure and hides any problem with the “broken DAC” so curious what adding the external DAC does to help?
Yes you are bypassing the internal DAC for a more accurate, less distorted conversion to analog.

Reactions: pbc

pbc

Thanks. Just debating whether to spend any more money on the setup. It's just an office/den 2.1 channel that I set up using some speakers (Polk Audio RtiA3 bookshelves and SVS SB13 Ultra) that I had unused for years. Picked up the Unison used for $150 and an Ayima A7 or whatever it was amp. But pretty obvious that where I'm seated in the room (at the desk) has a pretty massive null at 50hz and given the room it's not like I can add treatments to it since it's a desk/office space. Was also considering different speakers, but speakers won't fix the null, though maybe trying different cross overs and delays or phase adjustments on the sub might help.

nathan

The null is unrelated to the DAC.

(Likely the best solution would be to add a second sub. If that is not possible then it would be to move your seating. The next best option would be to move the sub.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
So my Martin Logan got a firmware update last time I opened the playfi app and today I noticed that the unit appears to be putting out a 96khz signal to my DAC for the first time (instead of always down-sampling to a max of 48khz). I am also getting tracks at 88.2khz. Definitely doesn't seem like a glitch. Has anyone else noticed this or can reproduce? I don't see anything that this was intentional or should be the case, but it seems to be what is happening.

I have TIDAL signal going to the digital in of the Unison and the Unison goes digital out to my SMSL DAC.

Last edited:

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
So my Martin Logan got a firmware update last time I opened the playfi app and today I noticed that the unit appears to be putting out a 96khz signal to my DAC for the first time (instead of always down-sampling to a max of 48khz). I am also getting tracks at 88.2khz. Definitely doesn't seem like a glitch. Has anyone else noticed this or can reproduce? I don't see anything that this was intentional or should be the case, but it seems to be what is happening.

I have TIDAL signal going to the digital in of the Unison and the Unison goes digital out to my SMSL DAC.
Update - I think my unit may be dying. I started having issues getting sound at all, and when I reboot, everything is down-sampled again for a bit. I think when I was seeing higher resolutions, the unit was just passing through the signal directly to my DAC without applying room correction etc.

DonM

Update - I think my unit may be dying. I started having issues getting sound at all, and when I reboot, everything is down-sampled again for a bit. I think when I was seeing higher resolutions, the unit was just passing through the signal directly to my DAC without applying room correction etc.
This issue may have happened with that last firmware update. Why don’t you contact Martin Logan Support and ask for their advice. That Unison also has a two year warranty.

Top Bottom