• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I appreciate the feedback. Since I only want full frequency EQ, don"t need bass management, will only use the ARC, with optical in and out, I think this works for me.

I use the PW-LINK/Unison in three systems with powered subs (2.2, 2.2, 2.1) and am quite satisfied.

Last edited:

STMESS

Hi, I have a Forte amp. It only has a sub out (and ARC for 2.1 system). I guess you didnt mean to write Forte but just to clarify, the ML version of Link is Unison. And I agree with what Jmudrick wrote about ARC in this case.
Also, If i am not mistaken, digital and analog out on Unison should both work at the same time. So you could also try connecting your sub to analog out of Link/Unison to see if you like it better. The manual has these instructions.
You are correct, senior moment on my part, I was thinking of the Unison not the Forte. I just checked the Unison manual at ML and do see I can try the analogue out and compare it to the subwoofer out on my amp. Thanks for your help.

dr0ss

Can this device accept DTS or Dolby signals via optical, apply room correction, and send it via optical to a 5.1 DAC?
Seems unlikely. The manual says that to connect a subwoofer you should use a Y adapter, and there is no discussion of surround. It looks to be very much a 2-channel device. But maybe someone who actually has one can correct me.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Hi all. I use this with both the optical input (Tidal, etc. from UAPP) and analog input (from my turntable, so it gets the benefit of the room correction as well). I have noticed recently significant distortion if I push the volume on the PW when playing vinyl. I tried looking back at earlier posts and it seems like I may be exceeding the input voltage recommended by Amir to avoid distortion, but since the turntable and phono amp don't have volume control I don't see a solution there. Instead, does turning down the volume on the PW achieve the same effect of getting rid of distortion? It sounds like it to my ears, but want to see if I am missing something.

nathan

Yes, keeping the volume below the threshold Amir identified seems to be the key.

nathan

On the Link itself. Amir didn't test the analog input. So there was no "volume" factor on the input. All this talk of distortion above a certain volume is when using the built in volume control for the ANALOG OUTPUT of the Link, when using the digital input on the Link.

Easy way to test: Turn down the volume on the Link and see if that solves the issue you are hearing.....

--

Heck, the digital output might be even better, but that wasn't tested, either. Presumably, unless there is some math problem, the digital output will be very nice, with the ARC processing in tact. Could be a pure digital way to add ARC to any system where the digital transport and the DAC are in separate devices, connected by an optical cable.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
On the Link itself. Amir didn't test the analog input. So there was no "volume" factor on the input. All this talk of distortion above a certain volume is when using the built in volume control for the ANALOG OUTPUT of the Link, when using the digital input on the Link.

Easy way to test: Turn down the volume on the Link and see if that solves the issue you are hearing.....

--

Heck, the digital output might be even better, but that wasn't tested, either. Presumably, unless there is some math problem, the digital output will be very nice, with the ARC processing in tact. Could be a pure digital way to add ARC to any system where the digital transport and the DAC are in separate devices, connected by an optical cable.
Yeah, the pure digital path sounds great. I only get the distortion on the vinyl input which was why I was confused. But turning down the volume on the unit does seem to help. Strange I am seeing it even on digital out based on what I am reading.

Last edited:

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Yeah, the pure digital path sounds great. I only get the distortion on the vinyl input which was why I was confused. But turning down the volume on the unit does seem to help. Strange I am seeing it even on digital out based on what I am reading.
I also get distortion from the digital input, perhaps less so. I find that turning down the volume at least 6 ticks on the volume reduces this. It has a strange quality otherwise, like the dynamics are being compressed. It does not sound scratchy or crackly, just like a FM signal. Happens to me for both vinyl and toslink. I wish I knew the exact level to turn it down to avoid distortion.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I also get distortion from the digital input, perhaps less so. I find that turning down the volume at least 6 ticks on the volume reduces this. It has a strange quality otherwise, like the dynamics are being compressed. It does not sound scratchy or crackly, just like a FM signal. Happens to me for both vinyl and toslink. I wish I knew the exact level to turn it down to avoid distortion.
Yeah that sounds about right from my experience.

nathan

Yeah there seem to be only two ways to avoid it:

1. Use the Digital output, not the analog output (though maybe you also have to do step two to be safe with this one, I can't recall).

OR

2. Use the Unity Gain setting, ie, disable the adjustable volume output, and it seems to choose the right spot.

Regarding option two: The default behavior is for the volume control to impact analog and digital outputs, but one can set it to a fixed line level output. Presumably this is neutral gain. This is achieved by pressing the MUTE + DOWN VOLUME buttons, together, for five seconds until a tone is heard. This is a toggle so to turn this off, do the same key presses again.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor

1. Use the Digital output, not the analog output (though maybe you also have to do step two to be safe with this one, I can't recall).

OR

2. Use the Unity Gain setting, ie, disable the adjustable volume output, and it seems to choose the right spot.

Regarding option two: The default behavior is for the volume control to impact analog and digital outputs, but one can set it to a fixed line level output. Presumably this is neutral gain. This is achieved by pressing the MUTE + DOWN VOLUME buttons, together, for five seconds until a tone is heard. This is a toggle so to turn this off, do the same key presses again.
Thanks! I actually am using digital out. But I'd be happy to use just my DAC to control the volume in my system so I'll try fixed volume mode and see how that works. It doesn't fix the volume at 100%? Because if so that send worse.

WesParker

OR

This is how I use mine. I have digital and analog inputs and outputs wired. Plus I stream internally. I switch between analog out and Digital out to my Vanatoo just for giggles sometimes. The Analog output is louder, but both sound good and turning up the Vanatoo volume can make up the difference to analog. I suspect the difference is probably caused by the Vanatoo inputs rather than the PWs outputs, but I’ve never tested with anything else.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor

OR

Thanks so much for bringing the Unity Gain function to my attention. It's exactly what I was looking for!

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
Thanks so much for bringing the Unity Gain function to my attention. It's exactly what I was looking for!
How are we making the assumption that going to fixed volume mode / line level out, sets the gain at the right level? When I turn it on, for example, it is significantly louder at the fixed level than if I had the unit set to 50% or 60% volume, which is where it felt clear to me there was no distortion. Honestly, I would love to have the only volume control in my system be the DAC after the digital out, I just am curious how to determine if the fixed volume mode actually works to solve the problem.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
How are we making the assumption that going to fixed volume mode / line level out, sets the gain at the right level? When I turn it on, for example, it is significantly louder at the fixed level than if I had the unit set to 50% or 60% volume, which is where it felt clear to me there was no distortion. Honestly, I would love to have the only volume control in my system be the DAC after the digital out, I just am curious how to determine if the fixed volume mode actually works to solve the problem.
For what its worth, I tried using fixed volume mode with the digital output and got noise and distortion. My guess is volume is fixed at 100% based on how it affected my system. YMMV I guess depending on your chain, but I do much better with the volume around 50% and making up for it in my DAC/PREAMP.

fungd

For what its worth, I tried using fixed volume mode with the digital output and got noise and distortion. My guess is volume is fixed at 100% based on how it affected my system. YMMV I guess depending on your chain, but I do much better with the volume around 50% and making up for it in my DAC/PREAMP.
I've used fixed volume mode with the digital output for years. Never had any noise or distortion. BTW, if I have it off, set it to max volume, turn it down 3 clicks from max, THEN turn it to fixed volume, the volume drops noticeably. In other words, the fixed volume mode on my unit is well below 100%.

I also always keep the firmware current, and fixed volume mode behavior has never changed for me.

aerochrome2

Forum Donor
I've used fixed volume mode with the digital output for years. Never had any noise or distortion. BTW, if I have it off, set it to max volume, turn it down 3 clicks from max, THEN turn it to fixed volume, the volume drops noticeably. In other words, the fixed volume mode on my unit is well below 100%.

I also always keep the firmware current, and fixed volume mode behavior has never changed for me.
Not sure why mine is acting different. The only thing I can think of is that "mine" is technically the Martin Logan Unison, which I had been led to believe is identical but with airplay and different branding. Maybe somewhere along the way that feature was implemented differently.

Top Bottom