• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using an external DAC. I had thought of switching to the internal to see if it went away but I guess that answers that.

That is a bummer as I do like the changes that it does but I'm not crazy about the popping sounds.
I'm going to ask paradigm customer support if they know about this, have any solutions.

invaderzim

I'm going to ask paradigm customer support if they know about this, have any solutions.

Hopefully they have a solution. I was all set to order 1 or 2 more until I noticed the pops.

I can't see continuing to use it with it doing this.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully they have a solution. I was all set to order 1 or 2 more until I noticed the pops.

I can't see continuing to use it with it doing this.

Unfortunately, they are not able to help. I received a polite but short reply saying that these things can happen with digital processing, and that they have no solution.

Now I am not getting any clicks between tracks. I wasn't paying attention to any changes I made. I still get quiet pops when pausing, or changing volume. If I continue with no pops between tracks, I can probably live with the rest. We'll see.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, they are not able to help. I received a polite but short reply saying that these things can happen with digital processing, and that they have no solution.

Now I am not getting any clicks between tracks. I wasn't paying attention to any changes I made. I still get quiet pops when pausing, or changing volume. If I continue with no pops between tracks, I can probably live with the rest. We'll see.

That is quite disappointing indeed... In comparisons, some Chinese manufacturers seem to be even proactive in solving after-sales problem...

I had packed mine and returned it.

invaderzim

That is crazy disappointing.

When a company the size of paradigm and anthem basically says 'we don't care' it is disheartening. And I've been a Paradigm customer for nearly 30 years now.

It used to be the established businesses with reputations would go above and beyond. Now it seems it is the hungry ones that go the extra mile.

I had packed mine and returned it.

I think I'll be doing the same. I couldn't find return information on their site; did you have to call them for a return authorization?

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That is crazy disappointing.

When a company the size of paradigm and anthem basically says 'we don't care' it is disheartening. And I've been a Paradigm customer for nearly 30 years now.

It used to be the established businesses with reputations would go above and beyond. Now it seems it is the hungry ones that go the extra mile.

I think I'll be doing the same. I couldn't find return information on their site; did you have to call them for a return authorization?

I bought it from ebay, so the return was easy.

if you paid by paypal on their website, i think it should not be difficult too.

invaderzim

well, I should have been smart and done one of those two things....

anyone want a good deal on a nearly new PW-Link?

invaderzim

Another weird thing that happens with mine is when I change albums I get about a quarter second burst of sound and then the new album starts.

It has also, just once, somehow messed up the DAC to where I had to turn it off and back on. The sound got all low, distorted and muffled. Restarting the PW-Link didn't help and it didn't even change when I bypassed it and ran directly to the DAC.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another weird thing that happens with mine is when I change albums I get about a quarter second burst of sound and then the new album starts.

It has also, just once, somehow messed up the DAC to where I had to turn it off and back on. The sound got all low, distorted and muffled. Restarting the PW-Link didn't help and it didn't even change when I bypassed it and ran directly to the DAC.
I'm certainly not trying to talk you into keeping the thing, but I am just wondering since your problems seem much worse than mine:
Are you using the constant volume setting? Do you have the input selection set to auto or manual? Have you tried changing these to see if it makes any difference? If you are tired of messing around with this then don't worry about it.

invaderzim

Where do I go for the constant volume setting? I didn't try play-fi on my phone just on the computer and it didn't do much of anything there except tell me I had to upgrade to the paid version to do things.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where do I go for the constant volume setting? I didn't try play-fi on my phone just on the computer and it didn't do much of anything there except tell me I had to upgrade to the paid version to do things.
Constant volume instructions from Martin Logan manual. Strange that Paradigm left this out of the PW-Link manual:
FIXED VOLUME MODE: When fixed level is on, the output volume level of the unit is set to a fixed level for sources connected to the analog input. Fixed volume also applies to the Play-Fi source. To enable fixed volume mode hold the volume down and mute buttons for five seconds. Hold them again for five seconds to cancel.

captain paranoia

Not expected was the fact that I was stuck with the same analog output as the internal DAC. This means that the digital samples we are getting have to be attenuated or they overflow. This is a classical problem in signal processing in that the math can cause amplification of samples, causing overflow.

That's really a very basic error in digital signal processing, and is unacceptable in a commercial product. Normalising is a fundamental step in a digital signal processing chain. They really ought to be addressing this error with a firmware upgrade.

invaderzim

I tried changing the settings and even connected it to a disk player to make sure it wasn't something from the squeezebox touch causing the problem. It still happens with most but not all music tracks.

Right before the track plays I get a burst of sound that varies in length from what sounds like a static pop to a quick burst of sound. It happens even if I let the CD just play through and don't skip tracks or change anything.

I guess Anthem and Paradigm products are off my wish lists; and I really liked some of them.

Last edited:

yhc

In ARC Genesis, there is a system-wide level setting:
set-speaker-levels.jpg

Would setting levels here -3db or so help avoid the "Servere Distortion" issue?

invaderzim

I have to give Paradigm back some credit. I went ahead and filled out a support request on their site and after a few emails back and forth checking things I have a return label this morning to exchange it.

sfdoddsy

Any idea if the ARC works on Bitstream? IE, can you EQ DD or DTS?

nuxv

I have to give Paradigm back some credit. I went ahead and filled out a support request on their site and after a few emails back and forth checking things I have a return label this morning to exchange it.

you're going to try a different unit or are you just returning it for a refund?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not related to current pop discussion (I do not hear any but am using the analog input/output) BUT:

There have been several updates to the Windows/Mac ARC Genesis 3 program. They are now on version 1.1.0.9006, the most recent change log being quite extensive.

In the past you had to go to the download location to notice any updates. One change is the newest version can sense and offer updates directly.

Top Bottom