• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
pjug's link shows all of the available versions. Note that the Windows & Mac versions are the new ARC3 Genesis. Android and IOS are still ARC2. The ARC2 and ARC3 files are not yet compatible with each other. I assume there will be ARC3 Genesis for Android/IOS out soon.

The Anthemarc.com pages are the most up to date: https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php

The step by step on what the ARC Genesis settings do is also very useful: https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/advanced-settings/index.php
(provided earlier by another poster).

Last edited:

Vnowinski

When I inquired about supported bit depth and rate for the Link, I was told the following about the toslink output:

The physical optical output supports 24/192

Curious to know how others came to confirm the reported limits of 44.1 or 48 khz. Anyone experiment with bit depth?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The step by step on what the ARC Genesis settings do is also very useful: https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/advanced-settings/index.php
(provided earlier by another poster).

Thank you for providing this link again. It does appear that the Quick Measure tools allows for a comparison of measured room response with and without the ARC engaged: https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/advanced-settings/quick-measure-tool.php

"Quick Measure also incorporates a snapshot feature that freezes the current response curve. The snapshot allows you to compare the frozen curve against the real-time curves resulting from subsequent changes to your speaker or subwoofer positions or settings. As well, if you’ve previously uploaded ARC corrections to your audio device, Quick Measure allows you to turn the correction on-and-off on the fly and see the resulting curve."

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it sub-par from a usability standpoint and kind of clunky but also haven't had any problems with it. Just select a file or use a compatible streaming service and it plays just fine.

I played with the PW-Link and DTS play-fi yesterday, and my opinion on play-fi is the same as the above. I didn't run into any problems using Android and Deezer. So although I won't use play-fi, I would say PW-Link + play-fi is a viable cheap solution for streaming.

On the issue of default target curve being too flat, this is easily adjusted with a nice tool in the ARC genesis software:
https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/advanced-settings/adjust-arc-settings-adjust-targets.php

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...although I won't use Play-fi, I would say PW-Link + Play-fi is a viable cheap solution for streaming.
My experience is like yours. For what I do, Play-Fi streaming works. My challenge is getting comfortable with its extremely odd interface. Here's a perfect example:
New Zone Sm.png

This screen automatically appears whenever I stop play on a device, or when I want to switch a playing device to a different source, so I see it a lot. Set aside that the screen is embarrassingly empty (this page intentionally left blank?). What is a zone and why am I told how to create it? After swiping in all directions (does nothing), trying the normal android back and home gestures (does nothing), hitting the Play-Fi logo (does nothing), I realized that hitting the "+" was the only option. I have to hit "+" and then "create zone" to get back to the home screen that shows your devices. It does not create a zone...just gets you back home so you could. Since that seems to be all it can do...why not just return you to the home screen automatically? Let me know if I am doing something incorrectly.

The good news may be that proprietary interfaces....both bad ones like Play-Fi and arguably good ones like Sonos, are becoming much less relevant as everyone races to compatibility with Google & Alexa control. Play-Fi is rapidly expanding Alexa control options, but Alexa control does not seem to work for a lot of functions so far. I hope they can improve that, or allow more direct "Casting" from apps besides Spotify.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience is like yours. For what I do, Play-Fi streaming works. My challenge is getting comfortable with its extremely odd interface. Here's a perfect example:
View attachment 27775
This screen automatically appears whenever I stop play on a device, or when I want to switch a playing device to a different source, so I see it a lot. Set aside that the screen is embarrassingly unattractive. What is a zone and why am I told how to create it? After swiping in all directions (does nothing), trying the normal android back and home gestures (does nothing), hitting the Play-Fi logo (does nothing), I realized that hitting the "+" was the only option. I have to hit "+" and then "create zone" to get back to the home screen that shows your devices. It does not create a zone...just gets you back home so you could. Since that seems to be all it can do...why not just return you to the home screen automatically? Let me know if I am doing something incorrectly.

The good news may be that proprietary interfaces....both bad ones like Play-Fi and arguably good ones like Sonos, are becoming much less relevant as everyone races to compatibility with Google & Alexa control. Play-Fi is rapidly expanding Alexa control options, but Alexa control does not seem to work for a lot of functions so far. I hope they can improve that, or allow more direct "Casting" from apps besides Spotify.
Yes, I get useless screens to pass through before playing music with play-fi as well. Dumb.

I think I found a problem with the PW-Link. When switching from play-fi to external source, the volume is turned way down on the PW-link. So I turn it up. Then if I use play-fi again, and switch back to external source, the volume is turned way down again! Maybe there is a way to fix this? It won't matter for me since I will always use the external source, but I wonder if you see the same thing. This is with the PW-Link's auto source selection turned on.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
....back to external source, the volume is turned way down again!.......

Yes my Amp/Links do that too. My guess is its a safety measure so that it does not blow up your amp/speakers if the input levels between streaming and Line In vary a lot.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes my Amp/Links do that too. My guess is its a safety measure so that it does not blow up your amp/speakers if the input levels between streaming and Line In vary a lot.
I think you must be right about that. Paradigm probably considers this device to be a preamplifier. I wish there were a way to keep a fixed level, though. Maybe there is a setting I don't know about to do that.
Edit: it seems to lower the volume after a power cycle too. So not so nice for using this as a source. I was planning to turn the device off when not in use.

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. Good stuff.
Indeed. Thanks to @GGroch for the tip on the Martin Logan thing being the same device. The Unison user manual shows how to set the volume to fixed, solving my problem (it is not clear in the manual, but this also works when using the optical input):

https://www.martinlogan.com/uploads/documents/manuals/manual-unison.pdf
FIXED VOLUME MODE: When fixed level is on, the output volume level of the unit is set to a fixed level for sources connected to the analog input. Fixed volume also applies to the Play-Fi source. To enable fixed volume mode hold the volume down and mute buttons for five seconds. Hold them again for five seconds to cancel.

HuskerDu

Okay, ordering for Father's Day. I'ma put this between the CCA and the Klipsch Powergate. I think. (Usually I try to figure it out on paper before ordering, but this looks more like something you have to fiddle with.) Room correction is the 'known unknown' I have not addressed. Can hardly wait to tinker...

HuskerDu

Indeed. Thanks to @GGroch for the tip on the Martin Logan thing being the same device. The Unison user manual shows how to set the volume to fixed, solving my problem (it is not clear in the manual, but this also works when using the optical input):

https://www.martinlogan.com/uploads/documents/manuals/manual-unison.pdf
FIXED VOLUME MODE: When fixed level is on, the output volume level of the unit is set to a fixed level for sources connected to the analog input. Fixed volume also applies to the Play-Fi source. To enable fixed volume mode hold the volume down and mute buttons for five seconds. Hold them again for five seconds to cancel.
Aha!!! Nice work!

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
........I'ma put this between the CCA and the Klipsch Powergate. I think...... Can hardly wait to tinker...
I think you will love it.
At the moment I am using the CCA with a Powergate and the PW/Amp. In that order, using the Pre-outs of the Powergate. For me the biggest benefit of the Powergate is its large selection of Analog/Digital/Bluetooth inputs with a very nice IR remote control. If you already have another decent power amp you could put that at the end of the chain using a PW/link.

HuskerDu

Too bad room correction only affects sound. :facepalm: ... (Photo is aftermath of wife's birthday including seven at the kids table. I put the speaker covers on and pushed em back!) The Powergate is on the shelf, back right. @GGroch thanks for your note. I'm aiming for CCA to PW/Link (to get room correction in there?) then Klipsch for watts... I've never used components so this is a big adventure for me.
2A869F2F-1498-464E-856E-A3A1E845CF1F.jpeg

invaderzim

When songs change I get a pop out of one or both speakers. Sometimes it is very subtle sometimes quite noticeable

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When songs change I get a pop out of one or both speakers. Sometimes it is very subtle sometimes quite noticeable
Yes, I am getting this too. And also during pause and resume. This is with the PW Link's internal DAC. I have been meaning to see if the problem is there with an external DAC. Are you using the PW Link's DAC or an external DAC?

invaderzim

Yes, I am getting this too. And also during pause and resume. This is with the PW Link's internal DAC. I have been meaning to see if the problem is there with an external DAC. Are you using the PW Link's DAC or an external DAC?

I'm using an external DAC. I had thought of switching to the internal to see if it went away but I guess that answers that.

That is a bummer as I do like the changes that it does but I'm not crazy about the popping sounds.

Last edited:

invaderzim

The really easy to do room measurements with this are inspiring me to see how much improvement I can get in the charts with things like moving speakers and room treatments.

Top Bottom