• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see any difference in the new ARC Genesis software as far as the Quick Measure tool goes. It still does not allow the easy comparison of EQ vs no EQ.

With no EQ settings uploaded to the PW Link, I see completely different looking frequency response curve in Quick Measure vs the full ARC. So I don't trust ARC on this device and won't use the PW Link for room correction until they fix the quick measure to allow the comparison.

Peen

Has anyone done any testing of max RCA input voltage?

I'm running the Topping E30 which tested runs about 2.145v. I have to turn the DAC down -3db or so, which I believe is about 1.5v for it to stop clipping badly.

zermak

Has anyone done any testing of max RCA input voltage?

I'm running the Topping E30 which tested runs about 2.145v. I have to turn the DAC down -3db or so, which I believe is about 1.5v for it to stop clipping badly.
If it behaves like the toslink, and it probably does (after all it is the same circuitary), you need less than 1,34V to make it works properly, without huge distrotion and so on (look the dahsboard in the first page, Amir commented on it too).

Peen

If it behaves like the toslink, and it probably does (after all it is the same circuitary), you need less than 1,34V to make it works properly, without huge distrotion and so on (look the dahsboard in the first page, Amir commented on it too).

Thanks for the info! Kind of new to dacs and this setup, so still learning. If 1.34v is the max before distortion, seems like I would need to turn dac down to -4.5 (1.276v) if dac produces 2.145v at max output.

edit: Just tested -4.5 and still getting noticeable distortion. Turning the dac down to -7 and it plays much cleaner. Changing the volume on the PW link doesn't change the distortion at all, so just max that out and turn it down 3 clicks.

Last edited:

zermak

Thanks for the info! Kind of new to dacs and this setup, so still learning. If 1.34v is the max before distortion, seems like I would need to turn dac down to -4.5 (1.276v) if dac produces 2.145v at max output.

edit: Just tested -4.5 and still getting noticeable distortion. Turning the dac down to -7 and it plays much cleaner. Changing the volume on the PW link doesn't change the distortion at all, so just max that out and turn it down 3 clicks.
Yes, the math should be correct (my result is -4.1dB for ~1,33V). If you still have issues you can try to measure the output while using -7dB and see what you get.

Peen

Thanks! Got it settled in pretty well. Realized my new RCA to 3.5mm cable is actually sending to the wrong channel. Thought something sounded very odd with music I know well but couldn't quite pinpoint it with right going to left and left going to right channel.

Been playing around with ARC, and all crossover settings sound good and more or less the same with correction up to 20 Khz. It really needed EQ at 250 hz or less like most systems.

Attachments

• measured.JPG
    measured.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3087.jpg
    IMG_3087.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 151

markie900

I found this section in the MartinLogan Unity manual (Subwoofer connection). Does the PW link have the same capabilities in terms of connecting a subwoofer to the RCA outputs on the link? I thought that the PW Link lacked a subwoofer output. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
1593508139018.png

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
I found this section in the MartinLogan Unity manual (Subwoofer connection). Does the PW link have the same capabilities in terms of connecting a subwoofer to the RCA outputs on the link? I thought that the PW Link lacked a subwoofer output. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
View attachment 71319
I have the PW Link and subwoofer connections are not mentioned in the manual. It may be possible with the PW Amp, haven't looked it up.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought I'd mention a couple of things from the Android perspective having just installed the PW Link.

First , the latest version of the DTS Play Fi app does work. It doesn't confirm that updates on PW Link are completed but they are, and the Play Fi app works with Tidal and Qobuz just fine. Unlike Audirvana for Android it shows my full library without timing out.

It's not a documented feature but if you don't like Play Fi you can use Bubble UpNP not only for cloud services but to stream files from any local server. No issues so far.

The new Genesis software for PC works fine, no issues recognizing device or mic. Only used once but off the bat I'm impressed.

JBL Studio 530 and two LSR310 subs.

Screenshot_20200702-182311.png
Screenshot_20200702-175735.png
Screenshot_20200702-175741.png

markie900

I have the PW Link and subwoofer connections are not mentioned in the manual. It may be possible with the PW Amp, haven't looked it up.
I know that the PW Amp has a dedicated sub output but I'm asking how it works on the PW Link because that's the product that I own. I know that both the Unison and the Link are very similar in terms of functionality. I've actually sent a question to Paradigm to clear it out. Can give you an update if you're curious.

markie900

I thought I'd mention a couple of things from the Android perspective having just installed the PW Link.

First , the latest version of the DTS Play Fi app does work. It doesn't confirm that updates on PW Link are completed but they are, and the Play Fi app works with Tidal and Qobuz just fine. Unlike Audirvana for Android it shows my full library without timing out.

It's not a documented feature but if you don't like Play Fi you can use Bubble UpNP not only for cloud services but to stream files from any local server. No issues so far.

The new Genesis software for PC works fine, no issues recognizing device or mic. Only used once but off the bat I'm impressed.

JBL Studio 530 and two LSR310 subs.

View attachment 71686View attachment 71687View attachment 71688
Glad to hear that you aren't facing any issues in your setup. Can I ask, did the system automatically assign Front Left/Front Right as 0 dB or did you change it yourself? When I ran the correction algorithm at home, I got a difference of +1 dB between my speakers (System-Wide Level Target: 0 dB, Front Left: 0 dB, Front Right: -1 dB) for some reason. The left speaker is placed very close to the corner compared with the right speaker that is openly placed (no corner placement). Can't quite understand why the system would configure the right channel to be 1 dB lower in volume...

Willem

Major Contributor
I agree that dsp room eq is a great idea for a real problem. So I have used an Antimode 8033 to equalize my sub, and it made a big difference. Measuring with REW, however, I noticed quite a few remaining issues that are the product of the low frequency response of the main speakers that are not equalized by this sub-only Antimode. So I am interested in something that equalizes the main speakers as well, and preferably automatically. Unfortunately this Paradigm Link seems to have too many issues to make it worthwhile to spend the $550 price here in the Netherlands.
Like many here I only need a unit with optical digital input and digital output (into an REM ADI-2), and looking at various tests that seems to be the least problematic configuration. DSP integrated with DACs or AVR amplifiers seems to be a sure way to degrade the performance. Is the minidsp SHD Studio the only option, and would it perform better than the version with ADC and DAC?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Glad to hear that you aren't facing any issues in your setup. Can I ask, did the system automatically assign Front Left/Front Right as 0 dB or did you change it yourself? When I ran the correction algorithm at home, I got a difference of +1 dB between my speakers (System-Wide Level Target: 0 dB, Front Left: 0 dB, Front Right: -1 dB) for some reason. The left speaker is placed very close to the corner compared with the right speaker that is openly placed (no corner placement). Can't quite understand why the system would configure the right channel to be 1 dB lower in volume...

The curve I posted was completely auto so the system did that. I've since gone into pro mode and applied some tilt and will tweak the bass a bit.

batfunk

I agree that dsp room eq is a great idea for a real problem. So I have used an Antimode 8033 to equalize my sub, and it made a big difference. Measuring with REW, however, I noticed quite a few remaining issues that are the product of the low frequency response of the main speakers that are not equalized by this sub-only Antimode. So I am interested in something that equalizes the main speakers as well, and preferably automatically. Unfortunately this Paradigm Link seems to have too many issues to make it worthwhile to spend the $550 price here in the Netherlands.
Like many here I only need a unit with optical digital input and digital output (into an REM ADI-2), and looking at various tests that seems to be the least problematic configuration. DSP integrated with DACs or AVR amplifiers seems to be a sure way to degrade the performance. Is the minidsp SHD Studio the only option, and would it perform better than the version with ADC and DAC?
You can have Pw-link far less than 550 dollars by buying it on Canadian paradigm site using a VPN and sending it to Europe by Transborder. I bought mine 280 euros(all taxes included) a year ago.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Another angle using the PW-LINK, Audirvana almost works through the PW- Link playing network files but suffers from the signal cut out before track end problem. Tried various Audirvana configurations including memory buffer, WASAPI/ ASIO, no upsampling, problem remains.

batfunk

Red alert! I just discovered that Spotify app (not only Premium as before) recognizes PW Link! :D
Too bad, I use Tidal... :facepalm: Come on Jay Z, you can do it!

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I don't see any difference in the new ARC Genesis software as far as the Quick Measure tool goes. It still does not allow the easy comparison of EQ vs no EQ.

With no EQ settings uploaded to the PW Link, I see completely different looking frequency response curve in Quick Measure vs the full ARC. So I don't trust ARC on this device and won't use the PW Link for room correction until they fix the quick measure to allow the comparison.

Can't you just take a Quick Measure snapshot with EQ, hold the second button on the unit to defeat ARC then do another measurement and snapshot?

On another front, Alexa integration seems to work .

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't you just take a Quick Measure snapshot with EQ, hold the second button on the unit to defeat ARC then do another measurement and snapshot?
Yes this works, and it is also what Paradigm suggested. I was just holding the mic by hand though, so it is not as nice as a software control. I don't see why they can't do it right by changing the firmware.

But anyway, I did check it as you suggest and the correction seems to be working as it should.

batfunk

Red alert! I just discovered that Spotify app (not only Premium as before) recognizes PW Link! :D
Too bad, I use Tidal... :facepalm: Come on Jay Z, you can do it!
Well, I contacted Tidal support about Play-Fi speakers support by Tidal app.
Response:not yet on the road map, but Tidaltechnical department is now informed.
I'm not Amirm, but I hope Tidal users will get rid of Play fi app... Soon.

Peen

Trying out going PC (OPT out) > PW Link (OPT out) > Topping E30

Getting crazy distortion about 50% of the time on playback of any audio (Amazon Music, Tidal, Apple Music, YouTube). If I pause and hit play again the audio gets much more quiet and stops distorting. I know I've seen this issue mentioned several times. Has anyone found a solution?

Have tried holding volume with Mute + Minus for 5 seconds, but doesn't seem to make any difference. In fact, turning the PW Link all the way up sounds fine, so maybe the issue is something else?

Top Bottom