• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

WesParker

I use small business access points and wireless controller at my house, so WPS is not an option. The manual hints that it can be configured manually in multiple places. I haven't had a chance to experiment with it, so maybe it's something trivial once you get it all plugged in. My backup plan is to dig my old wifi router out of the closet and configure my wireless SSID and PSK into it and let it do WPS for the PW Link...also thinking about it, maybe I can use the wireless router as a bridge and use ethernet to the PW Link. Then I'd have an 802.11AC connection instead of N.

From Manual:
Have your network password ready before connecting the Paradigm PW LINK to your network.
Wi-Fi Setup Button: • Initiates Wi-Fi setup for both Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) and Standard Wi-Fi Setup.

Thanks for the feedback.

batfunk

You're welcome.don't forget to give us a feedback too when you will have finished the setup!
I finally used pw link as Dac(impossible to connect my turntable with dac Teac ud 501 beetween pw link and power amp).
Subjectively, I hear no differences with Teac used as a main dac, so it will stay that way.

batfunk

By the way, can someone try to update pw link firmware by connecting it to pc? It's normally automatic but my Windows 7 installation is flawed....
I want to know If the 5-6s delay beetween tracks have Been reduced.
Thanks!

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I picked up one of these just for the Anthem Room Correction (ARC). One thing I'm noticing is that when the volume of the unit is at maximum a strange quality is introduced to the sound. It have not tested with headphones, but it seems as like a noise gate is being applied – like the volume is being dynamically adjusted. When I back off the volume about 8 ticks, it seems to go away. Anyone notice this? I'm able to A/B from a seated position and it's quite strange.

batfunk

Hi. Distortion tear off the roof at max volume as Amirm noted it. Stay away 2-3 clicks from the max.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Thanks! I like having ARC but it's such strange device. No remote, nor IR sensor for a 3rd party remote. And the uncooperative DTS Play-Fi system that won't switch inputs from the app. Still, one nice thing about this unit is that you can transfer Play-Fi playback directly to the device and add older DTS Play-Fi devices, like Polk Omni. This means your phone is merely a remote control, instead of a battery-draining source of music.

WesParker

Well, had some hiccups with home DSL this week, but finally got everything sorted. The PW Link does work like a Chromecast in setting up WiFi. Turn on the PW Link and wait for solid Wifi light, then connect WiFi on device with PlayFi app to PW Link. App will allow you to configure wireless. Strait forward, but should have been mentioned in manual. (Side note, dont push the “WiFi button” if you don’t plan to use WPS, otherwise you will have to wait for WPS process to complete.)

On first attempts at running ARC and listening, I’m not sure I think it’s better to have PW Link in chain, but I need to spend some more time tweaking before I make any decisions. It seems to work fine at streaming Amazon HD, but I do think there is still quite the delay between tracks.

on my Vanatoo T1Es the analog input has a lot more gain than the fiber SPDIF, so its very hard to compare the 2. I also haven’t tried SPDIF IN/OUT with ARC processing yet. Also plan to try ARC with a sub connected to the T1Es.

ill Post the in room ARC measurements when I get a sec, just because I know people like to see pics.

WesParker

Here are the graphs from ARC. I listened to it a little more last night, I was more happy about it then. I won't really be able to try it for a few days when my SO is not at home. She doesn't really like loud music playing and all this sheltering in place is not giving me much time for anything other than casual listening. These are for Vanatoo T1E.

ARC_Left.jpgARC_Right.jpg

WesParker

Also, strange is that Amir's review shows a different screen for ARC software than mine. I thought I put mine in "Advanced" mode, but maybe it didn't stick. I'll have to go play with that, unless it's a difference in software versions.

WesParker

RE: Gapless playback

A note on their website from the software release notes:

https://play-fi.com/news/new-features-quality-of-life-improvements-for-dts-play-fi

Anyway, you can let us know your feedback in the comments below. We're always reading and reviewing them internally. We'll anticipate the most recent vocal feedback and just say that there's no Gapless playback at this time, unfortunately (we know that's a big one for a good portion of you audio lovers out there), but it is something we're taking a look at alongside some of our other hot ticket items, such as what we're doing with Phillips TV, and more.

batfunk

Thanks for your feedback!
Nearly same bass problems as me without Arc. Arc keeps bass boost too, which is fine for me(as funkateer, I love bass!).
Gapless seems not to be a priority,that's sad. I wonder if this delay problem is not more a material problem specific to Pw link implementation.
Have you been noticed of a new pw link firmware update?

WesParker

I’d have to check version, but it updated a few times when I first connected. maybe 5.2071 For the play-fi firmware.

Kunaal

New Member here, Hello!

Firstly, this is a great thread on the topic and many thanks to Amir and Audimus for providing such useful information on this device.

I am of the camp that room correction for Stereo is an asolute must especially if you are not inclined to clutter your listening room with sound absorption panels and bass traps. Having used Audyssey on a previous Marantz receiver, I am no stranger to room correction. But since that device stopped working some time ago I have used the 5.1 out from my Oppo 105D to power my Martin logan Mosaics via a Primare 30.5 power amp. It was not until recently that I realised how muffled the sound was in the home theatre until I upgraded my 2 channel rig to KEF LS50wireless on the recent sale they had at KEF.com, and these KEFs DO use DSP to tune the Sub (an SB2000) and the tonality bassed on your room and speaker placement (I am using the performance stands).

The mosaics are known to have some mid bass bloat and MLs in general have issues with woofer integration that was helped by my previous Audyssey setup. This is further complicated by their dipole nature and an untreated room. So I was hoping the Martin Logan Unison and consequently (the Paradgm PW Link due to price) would solve the issue again without much expense. I basically have two questions forr you well informed folks:

1) Can this device still be had for $157? I couldnt find that price anywhere and bit the bullet on Paradigm's latest price of $199 shipped which I found to be best at the moment.

2) My components are the Oppo 105D. An old HK receiver (A heavy good sounding beast that I integrated in the system for tone controls), ML LCR setup with another SB2000 subwoofer, and the Primare power amp. What would be the best way to clean up the bass - midbass in this setup? My current source of music is Quobuz premium ( Which to me sounds better than Tidal hifi) that I streamed directly to the Oppo using Bubbleupnp, I do have some chromecast audio devices lying around in the house as well.

Thanks, and looking forward to updating this thread when my PW link arrives and I give it a test drive.

Last edited:

batfunk

Hi!
1)157 dollars was a price you can ask for on ebay to Paradigm official seller, if you're a current eBay user.
2)pw link is only 2.0. To have subwoofer integrated, you have to use an other way(eq, dsp or an integrated room correction on your sub).someone made a guide to sub integration a few pages before.
3)Qobuz is not integrated directly in the play-fi app, you have to use Bubbleupnp and choose pwlink as receiver, or cast to a chromecast audio plugged in pw link digital in (play fi app is far from perfect).
Beware, pw link is limited to 24 bits 192 khz(USB mode) and automatically downsampled to 48khz.No gapless too(5 s delay beetween tracks too, goodbye progressive rock...).
Otherwise, Arc and sound are great!

Kunaal

Thanks for the reply batfunk!

Was going to do Analog in and out for PW link to maintain resolution from Oppo105 with it feeding the Sub and then crossover in sub to feed mains via the subs Stereo out. This way I treat my mains as a full frequency trancducer and the PW Link does not have to worry about a sub. I would use ARC with the 2.0 channels going as low as possible 5hz or 20hz and then send the corrections to the PW link.

This way I:
1) Dont use the DAC in PW link
2) Use my sub as part of the 2.0 ARC setup
3) Maintain 24/192 resolution from my ESS Sabre32 DAC in the Oppo.
4) Use Bubbleupnp to stream directly to the Oppo (I am currently doing that anyway)

Any issues in doing this? Basically, I just need ARC, nothing else from this device.

K

markie900

Hi guys,

I'm new to this channel. Are you aware of any recent changes for those of you still in possession of a Paradigm PW link? I bought one this other day and it is currently being shipped. Similar to many of you in this thread, I bought it for its ARC capabilities.

Last edited:

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I'm new to this channel. Are you aware of any recent changes for those of you still in possession of a Paradigm PW link? I bought one this other day and it is currently being shipped. Similar to many of you in this thread, I bought it for its ARC capabilities.

I have one too, and bought it for the same reason. There have been no updates. The only thing worth mentioning is that in the last year or so they allowed you to use Anthem ARC Genesis software on your computer for advanced room correction settings. I would not expect any future updates to the PW series of products because of DTS Play-Fi. This multi-room Sonos competitor appears to have been the kiss of death for many product lines. Though Play-Fi can do some things well, it can't seem to do anything reliably and the interface is unforgivably awful.

batfunk

I agree.it is still sold, but not more followed up by Paradigm. Play-fi works fine for me(except that awful gap of 5 seconds beetween tracks) even its awkward interface ( original Tidal app is much better but incompatible with pw link).
Use chromecast audio on pw link digital in to
Bypass play-fi. I hope Paradigm will make a version 2(gapless,subwoofer output, 24 bits 192 outputting, same interface as big strealers(Tidal, spotify, Qobuz)...)

markie900

I agree.it is still sold, but not more followed up by Paradigm. Play-fi works fine for me(except that awful gap of 5 seconds beetween tracks) even its awkward interface ( original Tidal app is much better but incompatible with pw link).
Use chromecast audio on pw link digital in to
Bypass play-fi. I hope Paradigm will make a version 2(gapless,subwoofer output, 24 bits 192 outputting, same interface as big strealers(Tidal, spotify, Qobuz)...)
I was actually thinking about bypassing Play-Fi that way. My room is really interfering with my music today so I am really looking forward to trying it out myself.

Top Bottom