• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Orchard Audio Gala DAC

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
It is not.
So even with out the weighting that noise floor should be lower than what is indicated by your jitter plot and imd graph at low signal levels.

Does the noise floor (fft) look different between when SPDIF generator is off and a -60dBFS signal?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So even with out the weighting that noise floor should be lower than what is indicated by your jitter plot
Jitter plots are done with high resolution FFT and 256 k points. Without math, you can't measure the noise floors there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ok, but are you not in agreement that with a much better dynamic range than the ApplePi DAC GALA's noise floor cannot be worse?
You have balanced outputs here with higher amplitude than ApplePi's unbalance.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Typically, the signal goes up with 6dB and the noise goes up with 3dB with balanced, right?
So +3dB SNR.

orchardaudio

Audio Company
You have balanced outputs here with higher amplitude than ApplePi's unbalance.
Yes but the noise floor is show in dB which means it is normalized to the output level, so the output level is not relevant.

You now how the ability to run the ApplePi DAC balanced with the adapters that I send you. Let's take this off line.

Veri

Master Contributor
Well that's sad to hear. Then again, one channel had nearly 2x the distortion of the other..

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I know nothing about pcb design, but I can see (what looks too me) that the layout of components is not symmetric for both channels on the pcb.
Maybe this can give channel differences?
I might be totally wrong here, just a thought.

Nango

Major Contributor
@orchardaudio You mentioned in another thread the GALA you sent in for meassuring purposes was defective. I mean this can happen but what kind of quality control and kind of filtering do you apply BEFORE products get send out to customers?

Me as an end user I doubt I would have been able to identify the issue once listening at home, nevertheless I would have "enjoyed" during years a defective item............ I mean, you can't say, hey forget all the data, the one was defective, the next one is the right one......... too easy job I think!

Veri

Master Contributor
@orchardaudio You mentioned in another thread the GALA you sent in for meassuring purposes was defective. I mean this can happen but what kind of quality control and kind of filtering do you apply BEFORE products get send out to customers?

Me as an end user I doubt I would have been able to identify the issue once listening at home, nevertheless I would have "enjoyed" during years a defective item............ I mean, you can't say, hey forget all the data, the one was defective, the next one is the right one......... too easy job I think!
Product is still in development though. He sends it (latest prototype?) to Amir also to learn about current performance.

orchardaudio

Audio Company
The GALA project will be launching on Tuesday Nov 13th, 2018.

If you singed up for the mailing list, please be on the lookout for the special link around that time to receive your discount.

The discount will only be available for 24 hours from launch.

Please share this project with your friends, family, coworkers and on social media to help it succeed.

Top Bottom