• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
He knows fair bit about objective video evaluation but sadly, nothing about audio and got taken. He is impressed with SMD rework of components which technicians know how to do. He doesn't so he thinks it is magic. He is unfamiliar with instrumentation being used so gets confused there too. See this evidence of noise reduction:

View attachment 16053

I have circled the important bit in the spectrum display. The *starting* frequency is 27.55 megahertz. NOT kilohertz but 1000 times higher at megahertz. The ending spectrum is 54.9 megahertz. It is not hard to reduce these high frequency noise levels. Manufacturers only do so much until they pass compliance tests. Of course no way such noise is audible.

The plot thickens when you read the comments and specific point by "cinemike" himself on how the audio tests were done:

View attachment 16054

Yes, he is using a digital audio and video connection out of the Oppo. So no changes to the DACs or anything. The DAC is actually in the Marantz AV processor which is unchanged in the comparison.

He is simply being biased in listening in more carefully when he is told the modded player is working and as a result he "hears" more detail. That is very common but non-intuitive to a lay person.

It is a totally wasted mod if it does not come with any objective audio measurements.

The HDMI connections are used here for digital picture and audio improvements.
Vincent experienced a more satisfying visual experience.
Oppo doesn't make those players anymore, no replacements either.
So the best way to improve them is to modify them, or buy a new player like the Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K BR player or the Pioneer BDP-LX500 Universal 4K Blu-ray player, and save over $5,000-6,000 US dollars.

Or, stick with them as they are...203 and 205.
Or, Mike is not the only mod guy in the world...there are many more, from all over.
Coris is another one ...

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Vincent experienced a more satisfying visual experience.
That is not what he said in the video. He said he was skeptical that any video improvements were made.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
My interpretation is that he was more connected, highly transformed by the multilayering of the music and its air around that it exalted the music concert video experience. But ok, this is more about audio listening improvement. We need another video part two for the visual measurements.
That technical office lab with its workers...no small peanuts here...I was sweating a lot in my pants.
German people are extremely talented, like Japanese people with miniatures and the art of swords and cartridges.

Different cultures, different goals, different results, different sophistication, good for the brain expansion.

esm

Forum Donor
FYI, from the Oppo UDP-205 "last batch" page:
September 30, 2018 We are now sold out of the last batch of UDP-205 players. Thank you for your support over the years.
I ended up paying a ridiculous amount on eBay for one, because they'd told me I was too far down the waitlist to get one. I'm glad I did; those ridiculous prices are about to get a lot worse.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I agree. The main thing here is to get one, no matter the cost.
It should remain the best sounding player for the next two-three years.

And then by 2020-2021 Panasonic and Pioneer and Sony might get close, very.
Right now the Panasonic 9000 ($999 list) and universal Pioneer 500 ($999 list) are excellent alternatives to the roughly $2,500/3,000 Oppo 205 on eBay.

Sure, they don't have the 9038 DACs, but that's only for analog.
And the DAC brand and model number means nothing; it's the analog stage, the implementation and audio signal circuit path and parts used on that board that does.

Yes, today October 1st, 2018 is the official end of Oppo 205 player.
It's been a fun fourteen years ride with Oppo players.
They'll keep spinning discs for another while.
And with time new measurements from new players will shine too. ...For less money.

derp1n

The hype train is out of control here.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
I replied to Oppo's email asking if I would verify my email address, thus establishing continuing interest in the UDP-205...this occurred in May.
Well, evidently, no $1299 Oppo for me. :(
I have little interest in the current exuberant prices and will exercise patience. My understanding is the UDP-205 is not especially --

wait for it -- rare. :cool:

gvl

Major Contributor
Chinese Hi-Fi tends to depreciate fairly quckly, dunno if Oppo is an exception to this rule.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
My experience dictates that digital depreciates very rapidly. o_O

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Oppo always held their value. Now they command higher prices, two to three times more than list...for the 205 and 203. Because they closed their doors.
It's one of those companies with quality products that don't depreciate much over time.

Good lock finding a 205 for less than $2,000...or $2,500.

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
There are quite a few 205's available. I'd rather a new unit, but am not averse to acquisition on the secondary market.
Moreover, I'm given to understand from Oppo that warranty is non-transferrable. Folks may be in for a rude surprise
pertinent to executing a warranty. Perhaps, there's a way around it; however, if a unit's S/N corresponds to a unique

purchase(er), then a subsequent owner of a NIB unit may be SOL. :facepalm:

esm

Forum Donor
I mean, at a certain point, that warranty isn't going to matter: regardless of what Oppo claims, eventually there isn't going to be enough of that part of the organization left to service warranty claims beyond basic parts replacement from spares and coordinating outsourced repairs.

I bought mine new-in-box (with unregistered warranty) from someone who managed to grab one of last batch units, but I went into it with eyes wide open: if it breaks, I assume that I'll get to keep both pieces. I'm okay with that.

(I also managed to snag a pair of new-in-box PM-3s on eBay last week, for under their original retail list price. My bank account hates me, but I'm pretty happy anyway. ;))

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Will you attempt to register the unit? I'm curious whether registration is necessary to effect the warranty.

esm

Forum Donor
I ran through the online registration, and it happily took my unit's serial number. I have the bill of sale from the original purchase as well (which has the original purchaser's name and address on it); given all that, under normal circumstances I'd doubt I would have problems getting warranty service. But obviously, these aren't normal circumstances. ;)

So, I'm hoping for the best (both that I won't need warranty service, and that I can get it if I do end up needing it), but won't get bent out of shape if they tell me to pound sand. I knew what I was buying.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I replied to Oppo's email asking if I would verify my email address, thus establishing continuing interest in the UDP-205...this occurred in May.
Well, evidently, no $1299 Oppo for me. :(
I have little interest in the current exuberant prices and will exercise patience. My understanding is the UDP-205 is not especially --

wait for it -- rare. :cool:

Just as the sun rises each morning, the Oppo players will be rolled over to Ebay as they are replaced by a new highly desirable toy.

I use my old PAL/NTSC OPPO DV-980H recorder/player for my small number of SACDs. It also does CD, DVD Audio/Video, HDCD, X-vid, Div X, Kodak Picture, DSD, DTS, Dolby Surround EX, 7.1 surround or other if needed.. Lots of inputs and outputs .

A Panasonic PAL/NTSC DMR-BWT760 4K Blue-ray recorder/player for USB, DVD(All regions after post-purchase authorised mod(no charge) by a Panasonic service center), Blue-ray(Region locked) and LAN/WiFi networking server/client.

A Yamaha player for most CD playing.

Nothing special but they cover my needs. A 205 would be nice, even a 105, but I can wait.
sloth_40_anim_gif.gif

Top Bottom