• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The 205 has the same initial dead-zone issue at the start of CDs as all the other Oppo products. It is not their problem but a Mediatek issue. That has bugged me for years but only affects a few CDs. Still, if CDs are your primary source, might want to consider that. Personally I would pass on the 205 but if you can hear the difference with the higher-grade analog outputs go for it. Or if you need the other features (networking, headphone driver, etc.)

IMO! - Don

envydd

Forum Donor
Thx, wonder how much of an audible difference will I get vs my 203. The DAC definitely measures well and it would also give me a streaming option when I decide to go all streaming!

gvl

Major Contributor
Afaik OPPO never property implemented gapless playback on the Sonica DAC/streamer, see if it's also an issue on the 205, lack of gapless is quite annoying when streaming.

envydd

Forum Donor
Thx ... I am ok with the gapless issue as long as the sound quality is better than my 203 :)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I have several universal discs players, including the Oppo 103 (HDCD) and 205 (4K).
My favorite of all of them is the 205.
Also, I have many type of 5-inch discs...worth over half million.
The 205 @ only $1,300 was a no-brainer for me. For all it does with verve and how well it accommodates my use it was the deal of a lifetime.

I wouldn't hesitate, it's a solid unit all across.
It's going to take some time before something like that happens again in our lifetime.
This is not my opinion, it's my senses...eyes and ears.
It is also my dedication and my passion to music and films, an intimate emotional connection in the arts of music compositions and filmmaking.

I could write seven books about this, but I won't.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

envydd

Forum Donor
Wow. I didnt realize their market value. Thank you again! I definitely dont want to sell this. Might do a charity auction for my 203 if I like the 205.

envydd

Forum Donor
Of course I should thank Amir profusely for the site, and his wisdom ... I read his reviews and also archimago's .... I guess I am not buying another DAC in a while unless someone shows that some funky and/or upsampling DAC is way better in the same price range.

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow. I didnt realize their market value. Thank you again! I definitely dont want to sell this. Might do a charity auction for my 203 if I like the 205.
Unopened 205's are selling on Ebay at auction for almost $3000. Got mine Tuesday, still haven't opened it, and having bad thoughts, hmm..... :eek::p

gvl

Major Contributor
Unopened 205's are selling on Ebay at auction for almost $3000. Got mine Tuesday, still haven't opened it, and having bad thoughts, hmm..... :eek::p

Just use the opportunity and sell it. There will be something same or better in the future w/no hyped up markup and better warranty support. Donate some of the profits to ASR for helping you make a quick buck.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Lol, you guys are too funny. Anyways, I opened it up to take a look, couldn't help myself.
Funny thing is, I don't even have a 4K TV, still rocking a 60" plasma and love it, plus the new TVs don't have 3D, which I have about 75 discs that I own.
But I always wanted one of the fancy "audiophile" models from Oppo.

envydd

Forum Donor
Got mine today (in less than 24hrs since ordering it). Still boxed due to weekend chores :) Wonder if anyone uses it as a preamp. Then I can remove one box from my small AV cabinet

Top Bottom