• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a separate firmware, for the DAC inside or the FPGA or similar that processes incoming USB data.

It was needed to enable MQA functionality, so perhaps not essential for some.

I thought the 205 enabled MQA with a standard firmware update?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This is a separate firmware, for the DAC inside or the FPGA or similar that processes incoming USB data.

It was needed to enable MQA functionality, so perhaps not essential for some.

But now I am thinking maybe there was another reason I was doing it with a computer?
Could be. I chose not to bother with enabling MQA functionality nor do I ever use the USB DAC capability.

rhollan

Of course now, with an OPPO 205 in transit to me, I am debating pre-amps. For 5.x or 7.x, sure (with Dirac Live!) but I want a clean direct analog stereo path. I wonder if I should fore go Dirac Live and use the 205 as a preamp.

rhollan

Of course now, with an OPPO 205 in transit to me, I am debating pre-amps. For 5.x or 7.x, sure (with Dirac Live!) but I want a clean direct analog stereo path. I wonder if I should fore go Dirac Live and use the 205 as a preamp.
I was hoping there would be reccomendations. I was looking at the Audiocontrol Maestro X9 since it is supposed to have a good stereo direct path (and the same Sabre DACs as the Oppo), but that strikes me as redundant. And at $9600, a bit spendy. I'm leaning toward keeping my current path (HDMI to nanoAVR to SDI to AES3 to Dac to amps) but updating the AES3 deembedder, and using a DDRC-88D for Dirac, along with an Octo Dac8 and Apollon 5ch Purifi amps for a 5.x setup.

Still, it strikes me as Frankensteinish. Are there no good 7.1 preamp with Dirac out there for $5-6k?

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was hoping there would be reccomendations. I was looking at the Audiocontrol Maestro X9 since it is supposed to have a good stereo direct path (and the same Sabre DACs as the Oppo), but that strikes me as redundant. And at $9600, a bit spendy. I'm leaning toward keeping my current path (HDMI to nanoAVR to SDI to AES3 to Dac to amps) but updating the AES3 deembedder, and using a DDRC-88D for Dirac, along with an Octo Dac8 and Apollon 5ch Purifi amps for a 5.x setup.

Still, it strikes me as Frankensteinish. Are there no good 7.1 preamp with Dirac out there for $5-6k?
Emotiva has a processor/preamplifier that I think should work. These things are expensive...

rhollan

Emotiva has a processor/preamplifier that I think should work. These things are expensive...

Barely 100 dB SINAD and no eARC, with Dirac late to the game. I want to like them but would sooner pick Monoprice. I am considering Audiocontrol Maestro X9 at $9600 or JBK Synthesis SDP-55 at $6000 (just for Dante and use separate DACs) or my current scheme and forego Atmos.

I like the analog performance of the OPPO-205 and am considering an XLR remote switch for Stereo bypass of any pre-pro, which might convince me that 90-100 dB SINAD for movies is good enough, but then again, what's the point of that if I am considering good amps like Purifi?

Basically, the OPPO-205 is SO GOOD that it is hard to pair it with downstream equipment unless one considers stereo and movie quality separately.

Last edited:

rhollan

Barely 100 dB SINAD and no eARC, with Dirac late to the game. I want to like them but would sooner pick Monoprice. I am considering Audiocontrol Maestro X9 at $9600 or JBK Synthesis SDP-55 at $6000 (just for Dante and use separate DACs) or my current scheme and forego Atmos.

I like the analog performance of the OPPO-205 and am considering an XLR remote switch for Stereo bypass of any pre-pro, which might convince me that 90-100 dB SINAD for movies is good enough, but then again, what's the point of that if I am considering good amps like Purifi?

Basically, the OPPO-205 is SO GOOD that it is hard to pair it with downstream equipment unless one considers stereo and movie quality separately.
Well, the Octo DAC8 is not available until they clear their back log of orders. So, perhaps a different approach: get a decent 4k BD player, say an Oppo 203, run its audio HDMI through my Dirac Live nano-AVR and into the HDMI in of the 205 and use that for BM, levels, and delays, and use its excellent analog outputs. That way, if I don't want Dirac Live I just use the 205.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

My home theater is separate and very basic 7.1 setup. Integrating with audiophile stereo seems daunting.

rhollan

Yeah: I am in a position where I can separate the two, but it does seem a waste to not reuse great equipment across at least the front three channels.

I am also torn as to whether to apply Dirac Live to stereo sources, or leave them "pure". Of course a "movie" path can be used for 2 channel and then it becomes a case of "Well, if we're going to mangle the audio anyway, a few dB of SINAD should not matter".

I'm almost thinking of just using the analog out of the OPPO 205 and feed it's HDMI input with an OPPO 203's audio HDMI signal through a nanoAVR-DL. That way I can swap between Dirac and "pure" on all 7.1 channels, even though it might really only matter for stereo. Basically use the 205 as a preamp, mostly.

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea: Granted: $1500 for an OPPO 203 as well, but $6k-$9.6k saved on a preamp not nearly as good -- money that can go to speakers and power amps.

Last edited:

rhollan

Yeah: I am in a position where I can separate the two, but it does seem a waste to not reuse great equipment across at least the front three channels.

I am also torn as to whether to apply Dirac Live to stereo sources, or leave them "pure". Of course a "movie" path can be used for 2 channel and then it becomes a case of "Well, if we're going to mangle the audio anyway, a few dB of SINAD should not matter".

I'm almost thinking of just using the analog out of the OPPO 205 and feed it's HDMI input with an OPPO 203's audio HDMI signal through a nanoAVR-DL. That way I can swap between Dirac and "pure" on all 7.1 channels, even though it might really only matter for stereo. Basically use the 205 as a preamp, mostly.

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea: Granted: $1500 for an OPPO 203 as well, but $6k-$9.6k saved on a preamp not nearly as good -- money that can go to speakers and power amps.
Well my plans have changed. Readers will know that I have BG Radia 520 fronts and a 220dx center. I had used PD6-LCRi inwalls in my old home for surrounds but managed to score four BG Radia 420s! Talk about a retro line source ribbon theater! So, moving everything to Goldenear has been scrapped (and some $6k saved) I will upgrade the subs and cross them over from the mains in the Oppo 205, using it's excellent analog output stage. Considering Rels or Rythmics. I can run HDMI in from another player through my nano-AVR for Dirac Live into the OPPO 205 and use the 205 directly for critical listening. I know, I know: crossing fronts to subs, but even the Goldenear 1.Rs do that.

rhollan

Well my plans have changed. Readers will know that I have BG Radia 520 fronts and a 220dx center. I had used PD6-LCRi inwalls in my old home for surrounds but managed to score four BG Radia 420s! Talk about a retro line source ribbon theater! So, moving everything to Goldenear has been scrapped (and some $6k saved) I will upgrade the subs and cross them over from the mains in the Oppo 205, using it's excellent analog output stage. Considering Rels or Rythmics. I can run HDMI in from another player through my nano-AVR for Dirac Live into the OPPO 205 and use the 205 directly for critical listening. I know, I know: crossing fronts to subs, but even the Goldenear 1.Rs do that.
Well, I pulled the trigger: I am now the proud owner of an Oppo 205 and four BG Radia 420 surround speakers to complement my BG Radia 520 fronts and 220 center, with 3 channel and 4 channel Apollon Audio amplifiers on order (another $6700 with shipping and US/euro conversion). An HD Fury Diva will be used to convert eARC to audio over HDMI through a nano-AVR Dirac Live processor to feed the HDMI in of the Oppo (with a Sony UBP-X1100ES serving as disk source) when desiring Dirac room correction. The OPPO conveniently can mute audio over HDMI out to avoid an audio loop.

rhollan

BG Radia theater speakers!

Attachments

• 20211009_103009.jpg
    20211009_103009.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 114

nsxer

HELLO to you all. been reading ASR for some time now but never actually registered to now! came across this thread and i am amazed that my 205 is so versatile. HOWEVER i have a problem ... not updated my 205 for sometime as it was a dedicated disc spinner. only realising the benefits of the DAC etc. I NEED HELP ... i cannot source the DAC software to upgrade my dac or have my firmware updated to build0118. The links no longer work on Oppo website etc and cannot find them anywhere ... could someone on here please help and provide me with a link for the software needed? I am a Windows user and would need the bins from 0112 i.e. 0115 and 0118. I am a Tidal user and would like to try MQA etc

PLEASE HELP

Thank you in advance

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
HELLO to you all. been reading ASR for some time now but never actually registered to now! came across this thread and i am amazed that my 205 is so versatile. HOWEVER i have a problem ... not updated my 205 for sometime as it was a dedicated disc spinner. only realising the benefits of the DAC etc. I NEED HELP ... i cannot source the DAC software to upgrade my dac or have my firmware updated to build0118. The links no longer work on Oppo website etc and cannot find them anywhere ... could someone on here please help and provide me with a link for the software needed? I am a Windows user and would need the bins from 0112 i.e. 0115 and 0118. I am a Tidal user and would like to try MQA etc

PLEASE HELP

Thank you in advance
Does this not work for you? https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-65-0131.aspx

nsxer

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Kal

thanks for responding ... I do not think i need the firmware update its more about the DAC updates that i am missing?
or am i being a bit slow that this update you sent me to updates the DAC etc as well including the update of the DAC to version 0018 which includes the MQA update?

Oppo firmware updates include everything - there are no separate updater files for the built-in DAC or any other sub-components.

Top Bottom