• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and measurements of Oppo HA-1 DAC & Amp

Tarzan

That may be the case, but the balance output has generally higher output? Which in turn sounds different to the single ended usually. Good or bad, and if the item is being reviewed from a "audio scientific" :)) you like what I did there?) approach shouldn't all aspects of the item be under scrutiny?

Just thoughts that's all. I'm very grateful for the reviews please don't get me wrong, just putting thoughts forward.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That may be the case, but the balance output has generally higher output? Which in turn sounds different to the single ended usually. Good or bad, and if the item is being reviewed from a "audio scientific" :)) you like what I did there?) approach shouldn't all aspects of the item be under scrutiny?
Balanced output was measured in the review:

index.php

Woody Stool

I have one of these and it is a real beauty - but boy does it run hot! Expected I know, but it will put some heat into a small room.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I need to still make them.....
Blue Jeans Cable is local here in Seattle and does a great job. High quality no-nonsense stuff, decent prices, and Wayne will build custom orders. He's built some stuff for me that it would have cost me about the same to do myself.

Tarzan

Balanced output was measured in the review:

index.php

Oh shit I'm sorry, I'm one of those noobs that browse over the pictures but read the conclusion.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh shit I'm sorry, I'm one of those noobs that browse over the pictures but read the conclusion.
No worries. Others have missed that in different reviews and complain elsewhere that I don't test balanced. In the future I will highlight it more.

TitaniumTroy

Thanks for the review Amir, I was wanting to upgrade my headphone amp/DAC from my Parasound ZDAC. To something else, saw a used Oppo on the internet and thought about it until I read your thread. So I went with a Marantz HD DAC1 which was my first choice.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

D700

Actually, that's a completely different unit. Amirm hasn't measured the HD-DAC1.

The HD-DAC1 (a dedicated DAC/Headphone AMP) uses CS4398 DAC chipset while HD-AMP1 (DAC/Headphone/Speaker Amp) uses SABRE ES9010K2M.

Amirm didn't like the HD-AMP1 but mine's been spot on. I'd love to see someone send Amirm a DAC1 to measure, reviews have always been glowing.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Got it now, thanks! I was just few letters wrong, sorry for that. :)

D700

Got it now, thanks! I was just few letters wrong, sorry for that. :)
No worries, Marantz kind of invited the confusion. Units look identical online but the DAC is smaller footprint.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Amir's review of the Oppo HA-1 showed it to be among the top tier DACs, when using its fixed level outputs. Its variable level output (headphone amp) is not as clean as fixed level, but still measured good if not great, and put out 7 watts, more than twice its rated power. The only problem was, its variable level output runs the line level outputs (on the back) through the headphone amp, so it's not as clean as it could be.

Overall, I thought Amir's subjective impressions weren't quite fair to the HA-1's overall good measurements. But that's why it's great to publish both objective measurements & subjective opinions: the reader can decide for himself.

Burki

Really old thread, but a few days ago, I got an used (but looking nearly new) HA-1 and I would say, that measurement are one point, but for me the listening results are more important.
Compared with RME Adi-2, Pathos Aurium, AudioValve Luminare and Matrix Audio HPA-3B, I'll prefer the Oppo used as headphone amp (with XLR and USB-Input and balanced output) with a Hifiman HE1000 V2, but also with a Beyerdynamic T1 or Sennheise HD800.

LarryMagoo

I bought mine brand new! I love my HA-1, however did not care for the on-board Delta Sigma DAC. I feed it and AES signal from my A2- Unison Yggdrasil DAC. When you use the balanced inputs and outputs you get all the amp power you need.

Since I mostly use the remote control for volume...my Volume knob still works flawlessly. I feel very lucky to have bought this before Oppo decided to abandon Music components....which is incredibly sad ....there are way too many cell phone makers IMO...Oppo should have stayed put!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Class a has nothing to do with the dac performance though.

I can see that using variable volume SINAD dropped 20 dB and Amir said it might be due to the signal routed to the headphone amp. If I use it as preamp via analog input, would I get the 20 dB or so back?

Has anyone, or anywhere else measured it as a preamp using analog input?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct. I have recently separated the topic headings with "DAC Measurements" and "headphone amp measurements." The former is always with pre-amp out, not through the headphone jack.

From what I can tell, if you set the unit to variable, it routes the signal from the DAC completely through the headphone amp as I saw outputs as high as 10 volts out of the rear XLR pre-amp output! It is the combo of the DAC and headphone amp that reduces performance in variable mode then.

I missed this review at the time, it is too bad as I bought one brand new at full price shortly after launch time. Seeing the variable volume performance, I am a little disappointed with the 20 dB loss in SINAD because I am using it with my first Purifi Eval1 amp. The combo is very quiet even with my ears almost touching the tweeter, the mid or the bass drivers. May be 90 dB SINAD in my room (>20 dB noise floor) is virtually silence to my old ears:rolleyes:? I also bought the Sonica and am now hesitant to read its review but still hopefully that being a newer product and does not have a headphone amp to route to, it may have better performed variable volume control.

My question is, if you are so sure the 20 dB SINAD loss was due to the signal being routed to the headphone amp, then would I get the 20 dB loss back if I use it purely as an analog preamp? I doubt I would get an answer from Amir now but if any of you expert have an opinion or experience on this, please share. Thank you.

djdave

Sorry to raise this thread from the dust of the vaults, but I was wondering what people would suggest instead of an Oppo HA-1?

I have the PM-1 headphones which are used with the Lehmann Linear headphone amp, and the results are excellent.

Been offered a HA-1 for £550 in mint condition. Surely for that price it will take some beating?

MRC01

Major Contributor
At this time, with a used HA-1 its longevity becomes a concern. Two aspects to consider. First, it has several relays related to temperature and output short detection. They can become too sensitive and trigger when they shouldn't, shutting off the amp. Second, its volume knob sometimes fails and must be replaced (perhaps due to how warm it gets in normal operation?). This replacement is not as easy as it should be, because of the way the HA-1 is built.

Because it gets so warm in normal operation, make sure it's in a cool well ventilated environment. That should help with longevity.

djdave

Thanks for the reply.

A lot of people on this thread think there’s better items out there for less money.

Anyone want to throw me an example?

MRC01

Major Contributor
It's hard to find a single device that does everything the HA-1 does, because the HA-1 has both digital and analog inputs.
RME ADI-2 does most of what HA-1 does, and more (parametric EQ), but doesn't have analog input.
Topping EX-5 does most of what HA-1 does, but is less powerful and doesn't have analog input.
Schiit Jotunheim (with DAC card) does most of what HA-1 does, and has analog inputs, but doesn't have Bluetooth, and its digital input is USB only.

Top Bottom