• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and measurements of Oppo HA-1 DAC & Amp

That may be the case, but the balance output has generally higher output? Which in turn sounds different to the single ended usually. Good or bad, and if the item is being reviewed from a "audio scientific" :)) you like what I did there?) approach shouldn't all aspects of the item be under scrutiny?

Just thoughts that's all. I'm very grateful for the reviews please don't get me wrong, just putting thoughts forward.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #42
That may be the case, but the balance output has generally higher output? Which in turn sounds different to the single ended usually. Good or bad, and if the item is being reviewed from a "audio scientific" :)) you like what I did there?) approach shouldn't all aspects of the item be under scrutiny?
Balanced output was measured in the review:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I need to still make them.....
Blue Jeans Cable is local here in Seattle and does a great job. High quality no-nonsense stuff, decent prices, and Wayne will build custom orders. He's built some stuff for me that it would have cost me about the same to do myself.

Balanced output was measured in the review:

Oh shit I'm sorry, I'm one of those noobs that browse over the pictures but read the conclusion.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #46
Oh shit I'm sorry, I'm one of those noobs that browse over the pictures but read the conclusion.
No worries. Others have missed that in different reviews and complain elsewhere that I don't test balanced. In the future I will highlight it more.

TitaniumTroy

Thanks for the review Amir, I was wanting to upgrade my headphone amp/DAC from my Parasound ZDAC. To something else, saw a used Oppo on the internet and thought about it until I read your thread. So I went with a Marantz HD DAC1 which was my first choice.

D700

Actually, that's a completely different unit. Amirm hasn't measured the HD-DAC1.

The HD-DAC1 (a dedicated DAC/Headphone AMP) uses CS4398 DAC chipset while HD-AMP1 (DAC/Headphone/Speaker Amp) uses SABRE ES9010K2M.

Amirm didn't like the HD-AMP1 but mine's been spot on. I'd love to see someone send Amirm a DAC1 to measure, reviews have always been glowing.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Got it now, thanks! I was just few letters wrong, sorry for that. :)

MRC01

Major Contributor
Amir's review of the Oppo HA-1 showed it to be among the top tier DACs, when using its fixed level outputs. Its variable level output (headphone amp) is not as clean as fixed level, but still measured good if not great, and put out 7 watts, more than twice its rated power. The only problem was, its variable level output runs the line level outputs (on the back) through the headphone amp, so it's not as clean as it could be.

Overall, I thought Amir's subjective impressions weren't quite fair to the HA-1's overall good measurements. But that's why it's great to publish both objective measurements & subjective opinions: the reader can decide for himself.

Top Bottom