• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Onkyo M-282 Amp

Severian

Forum Donor
I am very much looking forward to the review of the Dayton Audio APA-150. I'm using a Crown XLS 1002 to power my mains at the moment. It sounds good but it's also overkill in my room and I wouldn't mind removing its unavoidable ADC/DSP/DAC step from my signal chain with a traditional analog power amp.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
JA uses 1%, as that’s the same as -40dBFS, which has been shown by some as the audibility thresholds for music.
That's for SS amps, with tubes he's flexible. :)
While reviewing the Air Tight 300R in this months Stereophile he is using 1% and 3% to work up a clipping point.
1% into 8 ohms = 3.56 watts
3% into 8 ohms = 9 watts :eek:

Olli

Forum Donor
Both of these show evidence of what I subjectively hear when testing amplifiers with speakers: class AB amplifiers run out of steam in low frequencies first.

That‘s why I really like Subs+ AB Amps for Mains.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What is your prediction? Good or OK performance?

My predictions are the following:

Power output considerably above spec for 4 ohm loads (~190+W) and marginally above spec for 8 ohm loads
Distortion 1 to 2 factors better than spec at all frequencies.
S/N the best you have tested so far in an integrated amp.
If you can test output impedance this low, it will be the best Class AB so far. Using MOSFETs for speaker switching over relays and NFB right at the speaker terminals should make for some low numbers.
FR should be ruler flat as per all Accuphase products.
The channel balance through volume range should be excellent with their AAVA. I am most interested in this type of volume arrangement- using a motorized Alps blue that controls the bank of VI converters. A whole lot of stages- is it better than a simple pot in real terms?
I think residual noise will be the only part it falls down.
It will get really hot on the preconditioning, but it will be fine. :)

I'd be interested to see the balanced vs single ended input S/N differences too. If the unit has the optional D/A or phono stage test that too.

Accuphase are always conservative in specifications IME, I expect some good numbers.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recall how circa 1972-73 Accuphase hit the market with a basic line (amp, tuner, preamp, integrated). Supposed to have been an offshoot of Trio/Kenwood; gear was marketed as a 'step up' from the usual Japanese thing: Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood, Yamaha. But it was still kind of affordable if you saved your nickels and dimes. Last I looked, Accuphase was priced with the luxury market in mind: preamps costing more dollars than high-performance Japanese motorcycles, etc. The stuff sure looks expensive. Accuphase and Lux are the only companies I know making replicas of integrated amplifiers with general features approaching components during the '70s. Maybe the higher end Yamaha comes close. I see how this unit has a mono switch, but not A or B or channel reverse. No subsonic filter, I couldn't see. Those were handy when using LP sources, but rarely found anymore.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about the Hegel H90?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I must confess, I do not understand the Accuphase love around here. The equipment seems competently engineered and specced conservatively, but it is not priced conservatively, at least in the United States.

When you have owned Accuphase, everything else looks and feels cheap. I only own a few pieces of Accuphase myself, but have worked on quite a bit of it over the years. Even their very first models were built like nothing else and they have never strayed from that direction.

For me, my cost no object system would be entirely Accuphase.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My predictions are the following:

Power output considerably above spec for 4 ohm loads (~190+W) and marginally above spec for 8 ohm loads
Distortion 1 to 2 factors better than spec at all frequencies.
S/N the best you have tested so far in an integrated amp.
If you can test output impedance this low, it will be the best Class AB so far. Using MOSFETs for speaker switching over relays and NFB right at the speaker terminals should make for some low numbers.
FR should be ruler flat as per all Accuphase products.
The channel balance through volume range should be excellent with their AAVA. I am most interested in this type of volume arrangement- using a motorized Alps blue that controls the bank of VI converters. A whole lot of stages- is it better than a simple pot in real terms?
I think residual noise will be the only part it falls down.
It will get really hot on the preconditioning, but it will be fine. :)

I'd be interested to see the balanced vs single ended input S/N differences too. If the unit has the optional D/A or phono stage test that too.

Accuphase are always conservative in specifications IME, I expect some good numbers.
I let you decide how well you thought you did: :)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-accuphase-e-270-amplifier.6220/

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Both of these show evidence of what I subjectively hear when testing amplifiers with speakers: class AB amplifiers run out of steam in low frequencies first. Play something with heavy drums and gradually increase the level and pay attention to bass to see if the "thumps" get anemic.

In contrast, with class D/switching amplifiers, I find that they are exceptionally good at bass so the above test doesn't work. Instead, focus on clarity of high frequencies as you increase levels. Use content that has isolated high notes to make this easier.

Do you have any idea of the threshold for those two effects, each at one size of the band, to be audible?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have any idea of the threshold for those two effects, each at one size of the band, to be audible?
It depends on the size of the room, efficiency of the speaker and content you play.

D700

amirm, care to offer an opinion?

I'm in process to buy 3-4 acoustic art panels. Aesthetically, I much prefer the 2" which is effective to 300hz...but there are also 3.6" (to 200hz) and 4"(to 125hz). Primary use will be for 2 - 1st order and 1 - 2nd order reflection points.

How critical is that band between 300 and 125? Is it worth putting up with less visuals appealing 4" panel?

I'm not ignoring the bass altogether as I"m also buying 2 movable bass panels, 1 for the bad corner, 1 for a distant corner.

Top Bottom