• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Xenio

>In the future you can mod the AVR to output digital signals and use a multichannel DAC.

I really like this idea, I'll go watch the video right now. Even though the guy don't know how to sync his voice to the video and made it so bassy haha

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
In the future you can mod the AVR to output digital signals and use a multichannel DAC.

Are you aware of such a board with does the 8 channels outputs ?
So having SCK, BCK, LACK and DATA1, DATA2, DATA3, DATA4 (for each pairs of outputs) and then 4 SPDIF/AES outputs.
Because having 4 such boards will be probably too expensive + problem of not enough rooms inside the AVR

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you aware of such a board with does the 8 channels outputs ?
So having SCK, BCK, LACK and DATA1, DATA2, DATA3, DATA4 (for each pairs of outputs) and then 4 SPDIF/AES outputs.
Because having 4 such boards will be probably too expensive + problem of not enough rooms inside the AVR

no not really. The center, left and right speakers are what's working 90% of the time so i would prioritize them, and even then i wouldn't expect any audible improvements.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
no not really. The center, left and right speakers are what's working 90% of the time so i would prioritize them, and even then i wouldn't expect any audible improvements.
This is the thread of the dac8pro so I would expect to use the 8 channels

Xenio

And can't we somehow feed an optical 5/7.1 signal into a PC, let the PC do PC things with it to then output it through the USB into the dac8pro ?

Xenio

Yeah this really doesn't seem that good at all

I made up my mind, I'll just use a stereo DAC with spdif in for the occasionnal use cases of the other sources and accept the fact that it will be stereo.... I'm pretty sure I will never encounter a case where I'll need surround from those other sources

So I'll take a PC that will decode DTS
=> dac8pro
=> multichannel power amp probably DIY with hypex modules

And either use pure software dirac room correction and BM etc or take a MiniDSP UDIO-8 + MiniDSP DDRC-88D or smth

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Yeah this really doesn't seem that good at all

I made up my mind, I'll just use a stereo DAC with spdif in for the occasionnal use cases of the other sources and accept the fact that it will be stereo.... I'm pretty sure I will never encounter a case where I'll need surround from those other sources

So I'll take a PC that will decode DTS
=> dac8pro
=> multichannel power amp probably DIY with hypex modules

And either use pure software dirac room correction and BM etc or take a MiniDSP UDIO-8 + MiniDSP DDRC-88D or smth

You can use dac8pro for stereo inputs, thought the AES.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just heard from Octo today. Will be shipping mine (Order 291, Dac 8 Pro, 10 v rms output for channels 1-2, Black) within the next two weeks. :)

Reactions: mkt

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought I would bring up an Okto DAC8pro "feature" that I have really come to enjoy that I have not seen discussed and did not consider before I purchased. As all signals are routed through the XMOS (even in Pure AES mode) you can use the Okto as an input in REW to measure each channel going in to the Okto. For those that use DIY active speakers this is really nice because it allows you to verify your DSP settings are correct and evaluate changes. This is especially helpful in evaluating overall DSP response when you have a variety of filters implemented (input channel EQ, output channel x-overs, output channel EQ). This is also helpful for those that have Dirac as it will show the overall DSP response from Dirac and other EQ/x-overs and allow you to judge how much overall boost / cut has been applied.

For example the screenshot below shows DSP response for a slightly modified LXmini with sub.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 10.59.47 AM.png

Michael

Last edited:

Burki

Just heard from Octo today. Will be shipping mine (Order 291, Dac 8 Pro, 10 v rms output for channels 1-2, Black) within the next two weeks. :)
Really? My order is #270 from last year and not already announced for shipping...

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? My order is #270 from last year and not already announced for shipping...

I heard “in two weeks” a few times before mine finally showed up. For example I first heard two weeks in mid-December and did not actually get it until early-February. Until you see a shipping notice I’m not sure I would believe them.

Michael

Burki

Hello Michael,

that's what I've expected and it seems. that they can produce only a few items in the week.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought I would bring up an Okto DAC8pro "feature" that I have really come to enjoy that I have not seen discussed and did not consider before I purchased. As all signals are routed through the XMOS (even in Pure AES mode) you can use the Okto as an input in REW to measure each channel going in to the Okto. For those that use DIY active speakers this is really nice because it allows you to verify your DSP settings are correct and evaluate changes. This is especially helpful in evaluating overall DSP response when you have a variety of filters implemented (input channel EQ, output channel x-overs, output channel EQ). This is also helpful for those that have Dirac as it will show the overall DSP response from Dirac and other EQ/x-overs and allow you to judge how much overall boost / cut has been applied.

For example the screenshot below shows DSP response for a slightly modified LXmini with sub.

View attachment 136497

Michael

Hello Michael,

In my multichannel multi-driver (multi-way) multi-amplifier project with OKTO DAC8PRO, I am also much interested in the same features and aspects as you mentioned.

I use software crossover EKIO in PC for stereo 5-way 10-channel operation to drive sub-woofers (L&R) (SWs), woofers (WOs), mid-range Be-squawkers (SQs), Be-tweeters (TWs) and horn super-tweeters (STs), and I always carefully measure and confirm the frequency response (relative SPL) of each of the crossover channels;

1. in digital level within PC before going into DAC8PRO,
2. in DAC8PRO's analog output level,
3. in amplifiers' SP output level,
and of course,
4. in actual multi-way SP sound level at listening position using measurement microphone

In my case, TWs and STs are driven by one dedicated amplifier, so that I am using full 8 channels of DAC8PRO for active SWs (amp in it) , WOs (driven by Yamaha A-S3000), SQs (by Accuphase E-460) and TWs+STs (by Sony TA-A1ES).

If you would be interested, please visit my post #321 there for 1., 2. and 3., and #318 there for 4.

Currently, I am also intensively working on "Cumulative White Noise Averaging" for reliable (and fully understandable) measurements of frequency response in these four levels, as just shared here yesterday on the analysis in the level 1., i.e. "in digital level within PC before going into DAC8PRO". I will soon further apply this approach for levels 2., 3., and 4.

(Just for your info, I also shared my approach of "Cumulative Pink Noise Averaging" at here and here.)

Since Fq response measurement is based on the statistical FFT analysis, I believe that we should be careful enough on the sample size (total energy of the sound signals for analysis), method by rapid sine-wave sweep, by pink noise or by white noise, selection of FFT size, and other smoothing algorithms (like REW's psychoacoustic smoothing) if applied.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it's July 10 and I'm still waiting for order fulfillment. No 291 Dac 8 Pro ordered January 6th. The Octo is the very last piece I'm waiting on for my system upgrade. Already have a functioning Purifi Eigentact amp, Kef Ls 50 Metas, Dirac 3 Multichannel Studio, and Dephonica software crossover. I've configured J River MC 28 with Maiky76's eqs for the Metas, and the original LS 50s (which will be surrounds), set up bass management for multi channel in J River, and set up a 2 channel zone routed the Dephonica to be my crossover for my sub when playing stereo. All I need is the Octo to have a 4.1 surround and stereo system.

Will also use two channels on the Octo as a DAC for the output of my Smyth A16 Realiser when playing headphones.

Everything is ready. Just need an Octo to plug in and make it all work.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for all of your reference,,,

I decided to use all of the 8 XLR out channels plus the nice RCA headphone out (CH1+CH2) of DAC8PRO in my multichannel multi-drive (multi-way) multi-amplifier system, as shared here.

In the manual of DAC8PRO, we can read;
Analog connectivity
Main outputs (back side)

8 x Neutrik gold-plated XLR connector
Output level: 4.1 V RMS differential full-scale
output impedance: 200 Ohms
Headphone output (front side)
6.3 mm (1/4”) TRS connector
Output level: 4.1 V RMS full-scale
120 mA linear output current
fixed to output channels 1 and 2
output impedance <100 mOhm

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for all of your reference,,,

I decided to use all of the 8 XLR out channels plus the nice RCA headphone out (CH1+CH2) of DAC8PRO in my multichannel multi-drive (multi-way) multi-amplifier system, as shared here.

In the manual of DAC8PRO, we can read;
Analog connectivity
Main outputs (back side)

8 x Neutrik gold-plated XLR connector
Output level: 4.1 V RMS differential full-scale
output impedance: 200 Ohms
Headphone output (front side)
6.3 mm (1/4”) TRS connector
Output level: 4.1 V RMS full-scale
120 mA linear output current
fixed to output channels 1 and 2
output impedance <100 mOhm
That's right. In addition to being a great 8 channel preamp/dac, it also a teriffic DAC/Amp for headphones. So it can take the place of a lot of boxes in your equipment rack.

If it were possible to run Atmos and DTS-X codecs on a PC, you could gang two of them together and have it (them) be the control center for a 9.1.6 Atmos and a 7.1.4 DTS-X system.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if Octo is shipping anything? It's been 29 weeks since I ordered and still no box at my door.

Top Bottom