• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Ranath

Hello!
What are the possibilities of what to do with okto research dac8 pro?
Can I use this dac to watch movies with surround audio on my home theater?

wineds

Are those the front panel headphone jack or the backpanel XLRs?
In ALSA, front is listed separately from the other channels.

backpanel XLRs. As a further test I just reconfigured one to the DAC08 XLRs connected to my stereo amp and I now hear "centre" on the test track so its definitely playing 8 channels I think.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hello!
What are the possibilities of what to do with okto research dac8 pro?
Can I use this dac to watch movies with surround audio on my home theater?
You can if you have a USB or 4xSES/EBU source to feed it.

lkong

backpanel XLRs. As a further test I just reconfigured one to the DAC08 XLRs connected to my stereo amp and I now hear "centre" on the test track so its definitely playing 8 channels I think.
Next question is how can I manipulate channels separately. I wonder how the DAC8 with DSP version set those channels up.

lkong

What kind of manipulation are you looking for?
Overall goal is to do digital crossover and DRC.

I want to use channel 1-2 for full range speaker and apply high pass filter to them, also use channel 3-4 for subwoofers and apply low pass filter to them.

From what I've seen, brutefir plugin in volumio doesnt seems to support multichannels.

1600213153509.png

So my idea is to use some alsa functions to apply filters to those channels and "repackage" them into a stereo interface like this: http://rtaylor.sites.tru.ca/2013/06/25/digital-crossovereq-with-open-source-software-howto/

Do a measurement based on that then use the brutefir plugin to do DRC.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I want to use channel 1-2 for full range speaker and apply high pass filter to them, also use channel 3-4 for subwoofers and apply low pass filter to them.

From what I've seen, brutefir plugin in volumio doesnt seems to support multichannels.

View attachment 83145

So my idea is to use some alsa functions to apply filters to those channels and "repackage" them into a stereo interface like this: http://rtaylor.sites.tru.ca/2013/06/25/digital-crossovereq-with-open-source-software-howto/

MiniDSP SHD studio or nanodigi can to this.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
You are doing that before the DAC, right?

Sure. The channel labels are arbitrarily applied. Think of them as 1-8 and use them as needed.

I have no knowledge of brutefir (at this moment) but this is not an Okto issue. There are other apps that will do what you want.

lkong

Hello Ikong,

Although I do not fully understand what you would like to achieve, my configuration using DAC8PRO in multichannel multi-amplifier system with software crossover EKIO would be a reference info for you. If not, please just ignore this post.

My most recent configuration is like this;
View attachment 83149
View attachment 83161
Sorry for being rude, you've mentioned this setup to me multiple times. I apperciate your approach, but please stop posting the same stuff to me.
I've read your post, but clearly you didn't read mine.

lkong

You are doing that before the DAC, right?

Sure. The channel labels are arbitrarily applied. Think of them as 1-8 and use them as needed.

I have no knowledge of brutefir (at this moment) but this is not an Okto issue. There are other apps that will do what you want.
The problem is DAC8 is presented as a inseparable 8 channel device in the system, or I'm too dumb to figure out how to divide it. So I'm here to ask for help.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for being rude, you've mentioned this setup to me multiple times. I apperciate your approach, but please stop posting the same stuff to me.
I've read your post, but clearly you didn't read mine.

Sorry, noted. I deleted my post. Good luck for your progress.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The problem is DAC8 is presented as a inseparable 8 channel device in the system, or I'm too dumb to figure out how to divide it. So I'm here to ask for help.
I am not sure what you are asking. For example, I use the Dac8 with JRiver and I set the output from JRiver as 7.1. That means it will send 8 channels to the Dac8. When I play a 2 channel file, I get only 2 channels of output (left front, right front)...................

---------------------UNLESS---------------------

....................I set up Jriver to copy the left channel signal to two other channels (e.g. left surround and left rear), filter each of those three channels to limit their bandwidths to suit the passbands of my woofer, mid and HF drivers and use them to drive the left speaker system. I can add DSP to each. I can expand to a 4-way system. I can add subwoofers with bass management. And, of course, I can do the same for the right channel information.

(In addition, JRiver is not the only software that will do this.)

Vasr

Major Contributor
I am not sure what you are asking. For example, I use the Dac8 with JRiver and I set the output from JRiver as 7.1. That means it will send 8 channels to the Dac8. When I play a 2 channel file, I get only 2 channels of output (left front, right front)...................

---------------------UNLESS---------------------

....................I set up Jriver to copy the left channel signal to two other channels (e.g. left surround and left rear), filter each of those three channels to limit their bandwidths to suit the passbands of my woofer, mid and HF drivers and use them to drive the left speaker system. I can add DSP to each. I can expand to a 4-way system. I can add subwoofers with bass management. And, of course, I can do the same for the right channel information.

(In addition, JRiver is not the only software that will do this.)

Your principles on how to do manage the 8 channels are correct and shows that this is possible. But, I think the poster's problem is in figuring out how this works in the Linux environment. Someone familiar with the Linux sound system would need to translate the above into the software available there based on how he has set it up there.

Snoozer

Well, it is confirmed (by Pavel) that revision 1.34 seems to be broken under Linux. It'll take 2/3 weeks for a new version to correct for the problems detected

I thought I'd share the news for the ones who own a unit like mine

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Well, it is confirmed (by Pavel) that revision 1.34 seems to be broken under Linux. It'll take 2/3 weeks for a new version to correct for the problems detected

So it means it is possible to upgrade a firmware ?

lkong

Oh well, I'm affected by this since I'm running 1.34 firmware. that might explain its behavior under linux.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

View attachment 83145

Have you had a look at the brutefir plugin code yet? It's essentially putting values from the GUI into templates for the alsa and brutefir config files. You just need to put your config changes for adding the crossover functionality into the templates. It's probably easier to add the crossover in brutefir, changing only the brutefir config template, rather than adding an extra output chain in the alsa config and pointing the brutefir output to it in the brutefir template. It's probably worth bringing it up with the plugin developer too, either on the Volumio forum or as a github issue with a feature request. Good luck when the firmware fix comes through.

Top Bottom