• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AES outputs are not controlled by the Okto's gain control. Just sayin'.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AES outputs are not controlled by the Okto's gain control. Just sayin'.
Yes, thanks, I edited into "AES/EBU out is not under the DAC8PRO's pre-amplifier functionality".

Neddy

Thank you sir. So easy to mis-type.
OktoDAC 8 's 'Swiss Army Knife' capabilities seem nearly endless!

rccarguy

If I just wanted a dac for CDs, what would the reason be for 8 channel dac? Even with be how would you use this?

Neddy

a) if you had bi-amped or tri-amped speakers with or without subs.
b) if your CD player had AES (toslink) outputs.
:)

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I just wanted a dac for CDs, what would the reason be for 8 channel dac? Even with be how would you use this?
If you wanted to crossover to subs. I plan on using 4 of the eight channels for 2-channel music : L R sub1 sub2

don’t see any 4-channel DACS with the same performance for a better price.

Verausci

My sub is currently one of the weakest links in my setup and it doesn't have any balanced inputs. I know the DAC8 Pro manual discourages the use of balanced to unbalanced connectors due to a quality loss, but could it actually damage the DAC?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My sub is currently one of the weakest links in my setup and it doesn't have any balanced inputs. I know the DAC8 Pro manual discourages the use of balanced to unbalanced connectors due to a quality loss, but could it actually damage the DAC?
Easy fix, just order a pair of Rythmik F18s or E15HP2 if the F18s don’t fit.

John1959

No, it will not damage the DAC. The statement in the owners manual is probably true for all balanced outputs in general. Okto Research clearly wants their products function the way they designed it and that's with a balanced output stage connected to a balanced (pre)amp. Maybe other manufactures care less about it, so don't give the same warning (maybe because they fear customers will look for another unbalanced DAC? ;)). But it's up to you to decide if you hear any sound degradation with a balanced to unbalanced cable or transformer in your particular situation.

Last edited:

Verausci

No, it will not damage the DAC. The statement in the owners manual is probably true for all balanced outputs in general. Okto Research clearly want their products function the way the designed it and that's with a balanced output stage connected to a balanced (pre)amp. Maybe other manufactures care less about it, so don't give the same warning (maybe because they fear customers will look for another unbalanced DAC? ;)). But it's up to you to decide if you hear any sound degradation with a balanced to unbalanced cable or transformer in your particular situation.

Ah that's good to know, thanks.

Easy fix, just order a pair of Rythmik F18s or E15HP2 if the F18s don’t fit.
I'd love to, if they were available in Europe!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OktoDAC 8 's 'Swiss Army Knife' capabilities seem nearly endless!

I fully agree; now we have very sharp and durable "Czech Army Knife"!

rccarguy

If you wanted to crossover to subs. I plan on using 4 of the eight channels for 2-channel music : L R sub1 sub2

don’t see any 4-channel DACS with the same performance for a better price.

Still don't understand.

How would you use this from a cd player? Or a be player?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still don't understand.

CD player digital out -> MiniDSP nanodigi->DAC8 pro

the player digital out goes to a dsp room correction and crossover with multiple digital outs which feeds the DAC8 with L R and multiple sub channels

kevinh

Still don't understand.

So you want to say, use JBL M2's without the crown amps and want multiple subs per Geddes or Welti. 4 Channels for M2's and 3 to 4 channels for the subs. as waynel says cd - mimidsp -> Dac 8. If I had the money and room for the speakers that is what I wold do.

bigjacko

If you value performance, minidsp probably does not measure well and will degrade the performance. Use computer based dsp if you have a computer, less money or even free and better performance.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you value performance, minidsp probably does not measure well and will degrade the performance. Use computer based dsp if you have a computer, less money or even free and better performance.
Do you have any evidence of this? We are talking about digital only like the SHD studio.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If any of you are interested in PC specs for digital DSP/crossover software, my post here may be useful, I assume.

bigjacko

Do you have any evidence of this? We are talking about digital only like the SHD studio.
Oh sorry did not know you are talking about digital only. I think digital only should have the same performance as PC because it is just calculating maths in the chips. The adc and dac in minidsp are not very good measuring.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DAC8PRO's AES/EBU digital out is the "through" digital signals of channel-1 and channel-2 which means the AES/EBU out is not under the DAC8PRO's pre-amplifier functionality including the volume and gain control. AES/EBU signal contains sync clock information, so you can sync the second DAC (with AES/EBU digital Input function) with DAC8PRO.

I hope my post here will give you some perspectives for your understandings.

And, let me remind all of you again just for sure;

DAC8PRO's high quality Headphone OUT is another line-level analog out of CH-1+CH-2 "under the control" of gain and master volume. If you like, you may use it as RCA unbalance OUT of CH-1+CH-2 with gain and volume applied.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ssover-and-multichannel-dac.12489/post-420921
WS000662.JPG

Last edited:

rccarguy

Nope can't see appeal or reason for 8 channel dac, what what said earlier up with minidsp I'd never do

Top Bottom