• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Dacapalooza

I received my DAC8 Pro yesterday.
I am having significant issues with the pushbutton and the remote. Has anyone else had issues?
Small issues.
Twice the DAC was unresponsive to the remote only (dial was responsive) and did not auto shut off after the 10 min settings. Unplugging fixed. PITA because 5 minute process for me to get behind rack. Oddly it only loses the auto shut off settings after reboot & reverts back to 2 hours.
I don't care about remote so much as I don't plan on using it. Just wanted a DAC. Auto shut off is important. I guess the BOM - learned that word here :) - for a switch was too great. In this day & age, when rebooting solves most problems it seems like a missed opportunity & we should have increased price. Perhaps switches mess with SINBAD's? But better measured DAC's have switches...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? Why not keep original volume?
Would that not be the purist? Especially we are going to re lower it again anyway.
Yes, but despite the talk of purist recordings, not one in one thousand are even close to being purist.

Furthermore, most people given a chance to listen to the original levels and dynamic range don't like it as much as a processed, slightly compressed master of the recording. And then you also have loudness wars where mastering people try to make it as loud as possible for reasons I don't really understand.

Dacapalooza

Has anyone else had issues?
My biggset gripe is that it does not display bitrate like manual. I really, really wanted that.
Just noticed the Manual shows USB with the bitrate. So maybe only USB shows bitrate? I'm AES.
Can anyone confirm if bitrate is displayed with USB?

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My biggset gripe is that it does not display bitrate like manual. I really, really wanted that.
Just noticed the Manual shows USB with the bitrate. So maybe only USB shows bitrate? I'm AES.
Yes, it is.
Temp reads high on mine also, have checked with a thermocouple and it is all fine - about 35c. It will shutdown at 65c so if you are getting a reading of 40c there's not to much to worry about. The heatsink under the dac PCB is quite substantial.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WS000524.JPG

WS000531.JPG

also shown here and here.

And, fortunately(?) I have no issue/problem with the dial, push button functions and remote. They are just perfectly working. Temperature indication? I will check it today after running for several hours.

Last edited:

Burning Sounds

I've had two Dac8 Pros - the first had one noisy transformer and the Apple remote would become unresponsive after anywhere from 2 to 8 hours use. The transformer mechanical hum was not excessive (had to be next to the Dac to hear it) and was exacerbated by the oak shelf that my Dac was on, acting as a sounding board. A small circle of felt placed on top of the transformer cut the noise to acceptable levels. Interestingly, I've noticed Okto are now shipping with this felt/foam in place. Unplugging the Dac from the mains would always restore the remote's functions.

I disconnected the DAC from PC and power amp, but the remote would always become unresponsive after a period of time. Pavel agreed to send me a replacement. It has a perfectly quiet transformer (no felt circle). But the remote issue continued with the replacement unit. Having two units with this problem made me suspect something in my music room (separate from the house) was causing a problem, so I took the original unit over to the house and plugged it in there. Bingo! - the remote worked perfectly for more than 24 hours. Suspecting possible SMPS interference I moved all my gear with SMPS (except the class D power amp and the fanless PC) to the house and plugged it into the same socket as the Dac. No problems, the Dac remote continued to work fine.

So then I took the Dac back to my music room and placed it about 2 feet to the left of the main rack. The remote continued to work fine, but the replacement Dac which was in my rack on a shelf about 6 inches above the power amp would continually become unresponsive to the remote whether the rest of the gear was on or not.

Suspecting the power amp was causing the problem I turned it off at the standby switches and left everything else on overnight. Lo and behold, both Dacs were responding to the remote in the morning. My Dac 8 Pro is now on the top shelf of the rack about a foot away from the power amp and has been perfectly fine for more than a month. The original Dac was shipped back to Pavel.

Given that the Dac has a case without vents I'm presuming that RF/EMI is affecting the remote sensor via the front panel. Early plasma TVs cranked out a far amount of RF and were known to interfere with Apple TV remotes. It's just a guess and perhaps others (or Pavel) with more technical knowledge can respond to my findings.

wineds

Yes bit rate displayed fine for me in AES and USB

Last edited:

Dacapalooza

Bottom line is this DAC is worth every penny & would STILL pay at least double for it.
My gripes are super minor.

Dear Okto,
Please feel free to start charging double. The bargain price is inviting suspicion on the performance.

Dacapalooza

Yes bit rate displayed fine for me in AES and USB
Do you have an old model? When did you get yours? Was there a firmware change? Maybe Okto can put it back with firmware? Can you post picture with AES's bitrate so I can send to Okto.
Below is picture with AES with out bitrate. I want to get to bottom of this. Did Okto remove? If so, why did the manual not mention this? Transactions should not be mysterious and it should clear what one is getting.
BitRateMissing.jpg

Dacapalooza

Temp reads high on mine also, have checked with a thermocouple and it is all fine - about 35c.
When in operation the dac8 sensor is 46c/115f. No way is DAC running that hot as compliment to the DAC. Placing thermometer on the chassis reads 75f. Maybe sensor is in a hot place that doesn't extend to the chassis? Easy to test I would think. I'll unplug & remove from rack for 24 hours & plug it in on my dining room table. The expected results is that the sensor should be room temp around 21c/70f. If it reads higher then the sensor is hotter than it really is. I could do that this weekend if I remember.

Last edited:

Naumm

Is there anyone here with a stereo model? I am interested in it but nowhere can I find the impressions of the people who own it or some more detailed SQ review?

Neddy

Hah, Good idea!
I just did that with mine for you - the rack's been off for >24hrs, and immediately after turning it on, it's reading 20c in a 70degree room (was probably cooler overnight, sunny day today). So, pretty close.
I'll check it again in a few hours and report back, but IRCC, last time I checked after hours of use it was either 23 or 27 degC.
~ 1hr later: 24C (ambient is also up a bit).
~ 2hr later: 25C (ambient is also up a few more)

Last edited:

Feyire

Is there anyone here with a stereo model? I am interested in it but nowhere can I find the impressions of the people who own it or some more detailed SQ review?
I've ordered one, but my order is still in the processing stage.

I believe one has been shipped to @Kal Rubinson, not sure if he has received it or reviewed it yet. We are also waiting for @amirm to receive the stereo model as well.

Burning Sounds

When in operation the dac8 sensor is 46c/115f. No way is DAC running that hot as compliment to the DAC. Placing thermometer on the chassis reads 75f. Maybe sensor is in a hot place that doesn't extend to the chassis? Easy to test I would think. I'll unplug & remove from rack for 24 hours & plug it in on my dining room table. The expected results is that the sensor should be room temp around 21c/70f. If it reads higher then the sensor is hotter than it really is. I could do that this weekend if I remember.

It looks like your temp reading is the same as mine - about 12c high. When I had both Dacs I left them unplugged from the mains overnight and this 12deg difference was there at switch on.

I've just turned mine on now (from standby) and it's reading 36c - the room is 23c. In use the max reading I have seen is 47c when in reality it is only about 35c. With a thermocouple and an IR gun I tested every surface, chip and component in the Dac that I could see - nothing was above 35c.

The Dac temp readout uses the internal sensor of an ATtiny84 MCU at the DAC board. Pavel thinks that plus/minus 4c accuracy is expected, so we are a little off here at 12c. I'm not worried about it.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WS000561.JPG

Room temperature today here is 20 degree C. My DAC8PRO, sitting on top of my audio cabinet, is working perfectly in Pure USB mode, 192 kHz 24 bit operation in all of the 8 channels. The top cover temperature is well below my "healthy" body temperature, so the 26 degree C indication is just OK, I believe. Fortunately, I have no problem at all including the remote.

Feyire

Top Bottom