• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

rajapruk

Forum Donor
This dac can be ordered with custom output-gain, if I remember correctly.

cjf

(5.8/4.1)^2 = 2

3dB of reduced output is a deal breaker to you? It sounds to me that you need more gain from your amplifier.

Also, +20 dB on your room correction curve is quite agressive IMO. At 100dB at your listening position you would be pushing a lot of power at those frequencies. I dont know what kind of equipment you are using of course.

That's interesting. I'm usually told my amp has too much Gain @ 26db

In my case yes, losing 3db from what I have now would be too much to bare. Every tells me to turn it up, I tell them it already is :)

Already running between -10 dbfs up to -5dbfs on Roon's DSP volume control as it is with current settings to produce output mentioned. I could of course go all in and crank it to 0dbfs or remove the -10db jumper from DAC3 but I'm not feeling that brave just yet.

cjf

This dac can be ordered with custom output-gain, if I remember correctly.
I thought I read that too but interestingly enough there is no official mention of it anywhere in documentation. I would still be very curious to see if the impressive measurements would still hold true when bumping up the output gain.

Thats probably something that should be considered when trying to compare it to other DAC's who have much higher output but still very impressive measurements

cjf

I would like to know a bit more about that AES/EBU Output on the DAC8 Pro as well. Is this a straight pass-thru interface that I could, for example, route USB Ch1 & 2 out thru this interface (instead of being mapped to one of the Okto Analog XLR outs) to then feed a different DAC downstream? If so, this may solve my concern with the output gain in default form being too low cause I could still use my Benchmark DAC3 to feed my two front channels like I do today.

I don't want to sound like I'm being negative towards the Okto because that is not my intention. I do like the fact that is supports Linux in a driverless fashion which seems to be rare these days for one reason or another. Some devices claim to be USB 2.0 compliant but yet somehow dont work with Linux. Baffling!

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The manual states:
"In the Pure USB mode, AES/EBU output is operational and transmits channels 1 and 2 of the USB
audio data."

I intend to use this feature.

Bisocri

ciao, non inquinerei il forum con problemi personali riguardanti il dac in questione. Ho effettuato l'ordine il 30 settembre. siamo a fine dicembre e ho provato a scrivere a Pavel of Okto informazioni di ricerca, ma a una e-mail di 3 giorni fa non ho ricevuto alcuna risposta .. un amico con un precedente ordine di estrazione a una e-mail di 10 giorni fa non ha ottenuto una risposta. ... sono trascorsi più di 2 mesi dall'ordine ... per curiosità, ma chi ha ricevuto il tuo dac quando hai effettuato l'ordine?

Reactions: g29

g29

ciao, non inquinerei il forum con problemi personali riguardanti il dac in questione. Ho effettuato l'ordine il 30 settembre. siamo a fine dicembre e ho provato a scrivere a Pavel of Okto informazioni di ricerca, ma a una e-mail di 3 giorni fa non ho ricevuto alcuna risposta .. un amico con un precedente ordine di estrazione a una e-mail di 10 giorni fa non ha ottenuto una risposta. ... sono trascorsi più di 2 mesi dall'ordine ... per curiosità, ma chi ha ricevuto il tuo dac quando hai effettuato l'ordine?

Translation:

hello, I would not pollute the forum with personal problems concerning the dac in question. I placed the order on September 30th. we are at the end of December and I tried to write to Pavel of Okto search information, but to an e-mail of 3 days ago I have not received any reply .. a friend with a previous drawing order to a 10-day e-mail does not get an answer. ... more than 2 months have passed since the order ... out of curiosity, but who received your dac when you placed the order?

Neddy

Same here. Ordered Sept. 9, sent email recently asking for a update on shipping estimate, no response yet.

Neddy

Thanks, @g29 for the translation! :)
Agreed.

Dave H

I got this reply from Pavel on November 8.
Another month on and my DAC has still not been delivered.

Hi David,

my apologies for letting you wait for a reply. I understand it is getting long and I am sorry for that. Dealing with a backlog of pre-orders is taking us more time than expected, but we are making deliveries in a steady pace and should be able to ship your DAC8 PRO in 2 weeks. I hope it is soon enough.

Thank you for your patience
Pavel, Okto Research

Last edited:

Neddy

I just heard back from Pavel, with revised ship dates (not too much longer!).
I'd much rather he take the care and time to get it right than rush it through and out - I can wait a bit longer just fine.

Feyire

Really looking forward to the DAC8 Stereo reveal and subsequent measurements and analysis here :)

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Question for you guys already received a production unit:
Any pops/cracks or other unexpected sounds on startup/shutdown/sample-rate-change or something like that?
Also what happens if you pull the power to the unit while on, any pop then?
(I have precious compression-drivers directly connected to amp without passive network, and very high sensitivity)

Last edited:

gene_stl

Forum Donor
You should probably look into installing some proper protection circuitry. I have unobtainium beryllium domes.

You can install:
1) large high quality contact relays driven by a delay circuit to let all the upstream electronics settle down (I have considered this but never done it)
2) Install capacitors correctly sized between the amp out put and the voice coils. The correct size is large enough to pass signal to below the crossover frequency and small enough to not pass enough charge to explode the voice coil
3) Install fuses again small enough so that the voice coil does not protect the fuse. Both fuses and capacitors are probably best installed on both legs of the driver connections .
In my case I installed fuses at one quarter amp slow blow. I had a pack of half amp, at the ready, because I expected the quarters to blow but they never have.
These will also protect against an output transistor failing and putting a power supply rail voltage on your spensive driver voice coil. None of this would likely be audible.

Top Bottom