• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Okto Research

About time for another Tour Review !!!
I've asked the latest tour participant if he don't mind. However, we want to leave it up to everyone.

I'm pretty sure it was priced at €1089 (100 more than DAC8 Pro)
That is correct. The shipping cost then varies by country, reflecting the actual cost of shipping from Prague.

Feyire

Not to be pushy, but when this month can we expect the Stereo launch? :D

LuckyDuck

I recently had a chance to try the demo unit of DAC8 pro. I’m new in this forum and a complete novice to the world of high fidelity audio. So, please forgive me if I write something nonsense.

I wished trying DSD files on my MacBook Pro with Roon, but I found that DoP did not work on this demo unit. Before the demo unit arrived, Pavel wrote me “While the production DAC8 PRO and DAC8 Stereo are going to have our own USB input implementation with XMOS, the demo unit does rely on a 3rd party USB board and I'm not sure if it does support DoP”.

My setup: MacBook Pro (Roon)-> USB ->DAC8 Pro-> XLR-> Stax SRM-727II ->Stax SR-L700.

With the DoP option, there was just a low level of noise heard. “Convert to PCM” option worked fine.

In my listening test, I compared DAC8 Pro with Topping D50. This was NOT a rigorous AB test by any means, and it was based on just my fuzzy short-term memory of the sound and subjective impression. I listened to classical piano, string ensemble, choir and orchestra music. Since converting DSD to PCM seemed not to be a good option, I used only native PCM files (AIFF 192/24 or 96/24) for this comparison.

DAC8 Pro consistently reproduced more neutral (i.e. realistic) sound with higher resolution than D50. For example, the subtle nuance of the quiet sustain sound of a piano was better reproduced (i.e. close to the real sounding) with DAC8 than D50. The sound of individual instrument in the orchestra was better resolved with DAC8. It seemed that the difference between DAC8 and D50 was more noticeable with higher resolution files. 96/24 files sometimes sounded just slightly better on DAC8.

I really liked the solid feel of DAC8 and its large display, particularly after looking at the tiny display of D50. Overall, DAC8 left a really good impression on me.

Snafu

Thanks for the review LuckyDuck. How was usability overall, setting up, swithing sources etc.

Will there be EU tour for DAC8 ?

Bliman

Will we have the full specifications of the DAC stereo soon? And will it be posted on the website?

Abula

I'm really interested on the Okto Reserach DAC8 PRO since its 8 channels, but how does it work with Windows 10 and lets say a game, does the windows/game recognize the the Okto Reserach DAC8 PRO as 8 channel device and the output will have 8 channels out via the XLRs? In the past, when i have used DACs i only get stereo, and there was a Cmedia box that had 6 channels via USB but had drivers/software that made it work, not sure how does the Okto Research DAC8 Pro would work.

LuckyDuck

Thanks for the review LuckyDuck. How was usability overall, setting up, swithing sources etc.

Setup is easy - plug and play. Mac Book Pro/Roon instantly recognized the DAC once it was connected, I just needed to select it in Roon. DAC8 Pro automatically recognized the sample rate of the files and displayed it. I only used USB input and do not know about switching sources. Apple remote worked beautifully to control DAC 8 Pro.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm really interested on the Okto Reserach DAC8 PRO since its 8 channels, but how does it work with Windows 10 and lets say a game, does the windows/game recognize the the Okto Reserach DAC8 PRO as 8 channel device and the output will have 8 channels out via the XLRs?
That's correct.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Boy ! @ 989€ the PRO version offers an amazing value for money DAC ...
Very well done Europe !
These guys are doing some serious audio engineering and manufacturing. I work with technical people from the Czech Republic, and I can tell you they've got top notch and serious people over there.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
This is a top notch device. Definitely part of my (imaginary) end game audio setup.

I was however, happy to see my little DX3 Pro sailing close to the big boy :)

1560803137041.png

Reactions: MWC

chi2

Forum Donor
Just got a note from Pavel (Okto Research) stating that the DAC8 Pro will be „lauched“ (shipped?) in two to three weeks from now and the DAC8 Stereo „shortly after“. In order to say sorry for the delay and thanks for the patience Okto has decided to provide a lifetime warranty for all preordered units.
Nice touch.

Jim777

Forum Donor
In order to say sorry for the delay and thanks for the patience Okto has decided to provide a lifetime warranty for all preordered units. Nice touch.
It is! Just unfortunate that pre-orders weren't open for the stereo one when I looked ;)

Bliman

Just got a note from Pavel (Okto Research) stating that the DAC8 Pro will be „lauched“ (shipped?) in two to three weeks from now and the DAC8 Stereo „shortly after“. In order to say sorry for the delay and thanks for the patience Okto has decided to provide a lifetime warranty for all preordered units.
Nice touch.
And do you know how the final will look like especially the stereo one? Because I think he said that he had a couple of surprises. And that they were still working on it.

Top Bottom