• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
BTW I am very curious about the upcoming stereo version of the OCTO DAC, this company seems to be great!
On page 8 of the DAC8 Module manual there are details of how to configure it in stereo mode, and later the Custom Modifications section mentions not fitting the extra XLRs if only stereo mode will be used. On the basis of this test it seems likely that too will perform as specified.

Nango

Major Contributor
RMEs ADI-2 still has more options, extremely detailed DSP, decent headphone amp, same price point, so where is the reason to buy this if you are retail and don't need 8x XLR plugs?

Veri

Master Contributor
RMEs ADI-2 still has more options, extremely detailed DSP, decent headphone amp, same price point, so where is the reason to buy this if you are retail and don't need 8x XLR plugs?
Slightly less distortion? In case you don't need/want all the RME features I guess. This thing is the current SINAD king so I'm sure people will like it because of that.

sonci

Does it have ans Asio driver?
Years ago I used an EMU1820M for playing multichannel flac out to the analog input of my receiver. Now I just use the hdmi out of a Sony uhp h1, but this can be a lot better than the dacs in the receiver..

Zoide

Is there anything as good as this monster, but with no headphone amp and just two channels at a lower price point? *grin*

Thanks

Nango

Major Contributor
Slightly less distortion? In case you don't need/want all the RME features I guess. This thing is the current SINAD king so I'm sure people will like it because of that.

This delta in distortion is far away from being audible, so it doesn't really matter.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
This delta in distortion is far away from being audible, so it doesn't really matter.

Its somewhat like driving on the city streets with your spanking new BMW 5-series. But people are paying over the top for an M5 instead.
Comfort wise on normal driving, response wise, there is very little in it if you don't push the 2 cars. They are both more than adequate for almost any form of considerate city driving. But we all know how much more one can push a M5 versus a normal 5-series if one desires. That extra money is really for the extras that make very little if almost no difference in normal commute , law-abiding driving.

But you just like that feeling of "being able to" push close to that 250kph when you want to on the M5 on the Autobahn . :p

Dman

Hello Dman,
welcome, are you referring single or double opamps? If it is single opamps, the Khadas Tone board has the same approach (but using double opamps) and it shows the hump...

BTW I am very curious about the upcoming stereo version of the OCTO DAC, this company seems to be great!
View attachment 23796
I wrote like opamp is the cirguit and there can be one or more in the physical part.

Last edited:

sbsj

"DAC8 is using ESS DAC chip so for sure we will see our famous "ESS THD IMD," yes?"

The Okto Dac8 uses ES9028PRO. I thought the "ESS THD IMD" is only present on the ES9038PRO and not on the ES9028PRO ?

Veri

Master Contributor
The Okto Dac8 uses ES9028PRO. I thought the "ESS THD IMD" is only present on the ES9038PRO and not on the ES9028PRO ?
From measurements so far yes, this seems to be the case.

gramp

Wow, the DSP version of this looks like the end game for a home theater 2+1 setup. I may ditch my current more expensive setup for this.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does it have ans Asio driver?
Years ago I used an EMU1820M for playing multichannel flac out to the analog input of my receiver. Now I just use the hdmi out of a Sony uhp h1, but this can be a lot better than the dacs in the receiver..
Yes. One was shipped with it but I just used ASio4all which worked fine with nothing to install. Note however that they are changing USB modules so this will change.

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Dman
I wrote like opamp is the cirguit and there can be one or more in the physical part.

If you look the output opamp, the 2 opamps is connected to provide differential amplifier (like OPA1632 alone) but then output is not balanced, other half off the signal is lost by connegting to the RCA ground so we lose distortion compensation.

Maybe somebody reconnect output to balanced connector and AMIR retest IMD?

Khadas tone board schema: https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/ToneBoard/Schematic/Tone_V13 SCH.pdf
Not the right thread to discuss this. Wo should move to the Khadas thread!
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-wesiontek-khadas-tone-board-dac.4823/page-54
But as far as I understand the differntial output feeds the negative/posive input of the third third Opamp RT6863...?

chubby11

Newbie here.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this guy.

Amir, hope you got to check out Bruciato...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Much less distortion at low frequency!

Top Bottom