• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The topic has been hijacked by a DIY project using this DAC. :)

Should I stop posting? If you and the moderator think so, I will quit here. no problem at all. Please let me know without hesitation.

mk1classic

Please keep this on topic to " Okto DAC8" only.

I think you need to verify with @Okto Research if the AES/EBU output is seen in the computer software as separate channels to the 8 USB ouput channels. If not, it's not possible to make the Okto DAC8Pro into a 4+ way setup.

As according to the User Manual the AES/EBU output it looks like the AEB/EBU is not a separate pair of channels.
Okto DAC8Pro - AES_EBU_4-way.png

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, well understood. I will re-start to post direct topic and experiences on utilization of DAC8PRO after I would receive DAC8PRO soon. Until then, I will continue my "simulation" trials with several options.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
OK, well understood. I will re-start to post direct topic and experiences on utilization of DAC8PRO after I would receive DAC8PRO soon. Until then, I will continue my "simulation" trials with several options.

Thanks for your sharing. It definitely gave me some ideas considering the DSP software can access more than 1 DAC device at a time.
4X Khadas Tone Board in a box and separate 5V power supply to each of them. :p

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi maxxevv,

This should be the final post on my current planning and simulation trials.
I have option-3 for input to SWs. If the "Integrated Amplifier-1" in my scheme is capable of RCA pre-out, then I may connect the L and R RCA pre-out into RCA-in of SWs by using unbalanced RCA line cables.

Porcari

Our DACs are not powered from the USB and they draw a negligible current, but they need to sense a voltage on the USB port. This voltage is filtered before it is brought to the processor handling the USB.

Both DAC8 PRO and DAC8 Stereo were designed to be agnostic to the USB cable. The full performance can be achieved with a generic, reasonable quality cable and there is no benefit in using exotic/audiophile ones.

Pavel, Okto Research

Hello Pavel,
How are you? I assume you are very busy at the moment.
I had send a couple of e mails to you.

I am very interested in the stereo dac 8 and is there also a tour through Europe? Or where can I buy this unit?

Thanks and Regards.

Antonfazer

Hello forum,

I am an owner of DAC 8 Pro. My intention is to use it for 4-way active system with software based crossover and eq, e.g Jriver and Audiolense. Both for playing music and watching movies.

I find from this thread that some members seem to get a good success with Ekio or dePhonica software instead. Are there any advantages of this solution over Jriver & Audiolense? Has anyone here succeeded to get Dac 8 Pro to work with Audiolense?

Do Ekio or dePhonica allow time and phase measurement and alignment?

I have not purchased any software yet and considering different possibilities, any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,
Anton

Kees Huizinga

Hi Anton,
I myself use Dephonica, as you can see it is a versatile program. At the moment I play with the 8 channel dac from diyhnk in combination with jriver. I am very satisfied with it. I hope to receive the Dac8pro soon. Another member, Dualazmak, works with Ekio. His setup is very ambitious.I have not been able to get it to work in combination with jriver, but he can and he is very enthusiastic. Both programs offer more options than jriver. Audio lense is much more expensive than these two programs and much is automated. They They will all work with the dac8pro. How long did you have to wait for the dac8pro?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Kees,
Pavel of OKTO contacted me on April 2 informing my DAC8PRO (black, Order# 106, February 15) will be shipped in 2 to 3 weeks together with my Order# 112 for the remote controller paired with my DAC8PRO.

Kees Huizinga

Hi Dualazmak,
March 18 I still had email contact with Pavel. Then he wrote: "we are still in operation (as most of our suppliers are) and should be able to ship your DAC8 PRO with a slight delay in about 2 weeks."
Hopefully he didn't get sick after all. In a time of corona that could well be. The e shop is also under construction. We will hope for the best.

Antonfazer

Hello Kees,

I placed an order in August and received the device in early December. I have a lucky serial number 13 :)

I am attracted by automated features in Audiolense and especially the true time domain for setting delays.

So far I have only experience with minidsp 2x4 hd software for crossovers and eq, which seem to work very similar to dePhonica. It worked well for setting a 2-way system, but for 4-way configuration with different delays and phases for each speaker I found it very difficult to set.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello kees,

Yes, Pavel looks still healthy and in good shape, and OKTO's operation looks normal; very nice...

After the arrival of my DAC8PRO, I will share with you and other people here regarding how Windows 10 Pro would recognize DAC8PRO and how I would configure JRiver's and Roon's output into EKIO through VB AUDIO VIRTUAL Hi-Fi CABLE (WASAPI) (and other routes?), as well as, of course, how I would direct each of the EKIO's 10 or 8 channels into each of the 8 channels of DAC8PRO.

Guillaume of LUPISOFT (EKIO's developer) also suggested another possibility of;

Roon --> (USB cable-1)--> USB-SPDIF sound card --> SPDIF physical link --> DAC8PRO IN (physical input) -->(USB cable-2) --> ASIO4ALL --> EKIO --> ASIO4ALL -->(USB cable-2) --> 8 channles of DAC8PRO OUT

where "USB-SPDIF sound card" could be any USB-DDC having SPDIF/AES-EBU out. In his March 6 post, Kal Rubinson kindly confirmed that "Windows 10 Pro recognizes DAC8PRO not only as 8 USB audio devices but also as one USB/AES/EBU/SPD-IF audio device; windows sees it as an audio input of Line (DIYINHK USB AUDIO) ". I will also try this input routing into EKIO. If this would work, I can avoid/eliminate VB AUDIO VIRTUAL Hi-Fi CABLE (WASAPI).

I also purchased one license of DePhonica, but still did not, do not, have time to test it. After you would receive your DAC8PRO, I would highly appreciate hearing from you regarding the possible I/O routing from Roon and/or JRiver into DePhonica (by DePhonica's ASIO?) and how you would direct DePhonica's 8 channels into each of the 8 channels of DAC8PRO.

I will be careful enough to limit my posts to be in direct concerns with DAC8PRO, as Vincentponcet and mk1classic kindly suggested.

Last edited:

Kees Huizinga

Hi Anton,

Dsp via computer seems to be more powerful than via minidsp. The advantage of Dephonica is that fir, al irr is possible. You can also import a frequency response. At Audiolense, everything is of course simpler, but the price is on the high side. In addition, € 78 is added every year to keep things up to date.
How are you using the Dac8pro at the moment?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Hello kees,

Yes, Pavel looks still healthy and in good shape, and OKTO's operation looks normal; very nice...

After the arrival of my DAC8PRO, I will share with you and other people here regarding how Windows 10 Pro would recognize DAC8PRO and how I would configure JRiver's and Roon's output into EKIO through VB AUDIO VIRTUAL Hi-Fi CABLE (WASAPI) (and other routes?), as well as, of course, how I would direct each of the EKIO's 10 or 8 channels into each of the 8 channels of DAC8PRO.

Guillaume of LUPISOFT (EKIO's developer) also suggested another possibility of;

Roon --> (USB cable-1)--> USB-SPDIF sound card --> SPDIF physical link --> DAC8PRO IN (physical input) -->(USB cable-2) --> ASIO4ALL --> EKIO --> ASIO4ALL -->(USB cable-2) --> 8 channles of DAC8PRO OUT

where "USB-SPDIF sound card" could be any USB-DDC having SPDIF/AES-EBU out. In his March 6 post, Kal Rubinson kindly confirmed that "Windows 10 Pro recognizes DAC8PRO not only as 8 USB audio devices but also as one USB/AES/EBU/SPD-IF audio device; windows sees it as an audio input of Line (DIYINHK USB AUDIO) ". I will also try this input routing into EKIO. If this would work, I can avoid/eliminate VB AUDIO VIRTUAL Hi-Fi CABLE (WASAPI).

I also purchased one license of DePhonica, but still did not, do not, have time to test it. After you would receive your DAC8PRO, I would highly appreciate hearing from you regarding the possible I/O routing from Roon and/or JRiver into DePhonica (by DePhonica's ASIO?) and how you would direct DePhonica's 8 channels into each of the 8 channels of DAC8PRO.

I will be careful enough to limit my posts to be in direct concerns with DAC8PRO, as Vincentponcet and mk1classic kindly suggested.

Do start a thread on that. I'm very sure there will be lots of people looking at it with interest.

mk1classic

Do start a thread on that. I'm very sure there will be lots of people looking at it with interest.
@dualazmak Why not make your own thread in the Member Area where you describe your total setup and plans for system, and leave a link in this thread for reference?
I'm interested in all technical solutions and your digital/analogue combination is one of a kind, but this thread is originally the OKTO DAC8 8-channel review thread. But please keep on discussing software / hardware related to the DAC8 here. :)

H

Hifihedgehog

I think you need to verify with @Okto Research if the AES/EBU output is seen in the computer software as separate channels to the 8 USB ouput channels. If not, it's not possible to make the Okto DAC8Pro into a 4+ way setup.
Actually, if you use Virtual Audio Cable, it's very much possible. It may take some work with some daisy chaining or cascading of VSTs, but it's definitely doable.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, if you use Virtual Audio Cable, it's very much possible. It may take some work with some daisy chaining or cascading of VSTs, but it's definitely doable.
Thank you for your encouraging comment.

Well, it actually took some while for me, about one month or two, to fully understand the "Works and Relations" of ASIO4ALL, VB Virtual Audio Cable, VB Hi-Fi Virtual Cable and VB Hi-Fi Virtual Cable ASIO BRIDGE. Now I can fully configure the input routing from Roon and JRiver into EKIO through "ASIO4ALL's dominating ASIO driver" plus "VB Hi-Fi Vritual Cable ASIO" with no use of Windows WASAPI nor its Kernel Mixer. Of course, I can also allocate all of the EKIO's output channels into DACs through ASIO4ALL again with no use of Windows WASAPI nor its Kernel Mixer. Once properly established, the whole I/O is very stable,reliable and in very nice Hi-Fi sound quality.

As for the possible utilization of DAC8PRO's AES/EBU I/O features together with ASIO4ALL and VB Hi-Fi Virtual Cable (which has 8 channel inputs and outputs routes), I will carefully investigate and try how I may best configure fully digital I/O within my PC without using any physical cabling. This will be also shared and discussed soon after I would receive my DAC8PRO, hopefully in 3 - 4 weeks.

In any way, it should be quite OK for me now that I can fully establish the I/O with EKIO using ASIO routing with no use of WASAPI nor Kernel Mixer.

As kindly suggested in previous posts, in the Members Area, I would like to start new thread entitled "Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multi-DAC" (draft title). Any suggestion for better title will be highly appreciated. Is it better to say "Multi-channels", Multi-Amplifiers" and "Multi-DACs" in the thread title? I am not a native English speaker, so your input on this will be very much welcome. I would like to share and discuss the details of I/O with software crossover (EKIO, DePhonica, etc.) and DAC8PRO (and other multi-DACs) in the possible new thread.

As for the multi-amplifiers to be connected to DAC8PRO and my speaker units, I am also considering the possibilities of these "configurable, reasonable price digital multi-amplifiers" capable for 8-channel in one box;
https://www.kjfaudio.com/product/ma-01-flexible-amplifier/#slot-1
and
https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-mp-ncxxx-4-8-122-500w-custom-configurable-channel-amplifier-black
Hopefully, these topics will be also shared and discussed in the possible new thread.

Okto Research

Hi Dualazmak,
March 18 I still had email contact with Pavel. Then he wrote: "we are still in operation (as most of our suppliers are) and should be able to ship your DAC8 PRO with a slight delay in about 2 weeks."
Hopefully he didn't get sick after all. In a time of corona that could well be. The e shop is also under construction. We will hope for the best.

Your DAC8 PRO is on its way to you :). Don't worry, we are all fine here at Okto Research and I hope everyone on the forum is as well. Our e-shop is going to re-open within 24 hours.

Feyire

Our e-shop is going to re-open within 24 hours.
3gneji.jpg

@Okto Research , is the final specification/feature sheet for the Stereo version also ready? I want to know more about the streamer option (RPI4) and what will be on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom