• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Feyire

The one in black looks nice!
Looks like they added the middle screw that you pointed out was needed in order to avoid the flexing of the metal plate. :cool:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...I zoomed in and the main knob looks a bit cheap with those grooves. And these screws look weird but that could be the photo.

Hmm... firmware flash update wont help here :) then suggest that its someting you look at down the road in its probably not that hard diy or order some local custom made screws and knob that suit ones personal taste 100% ;) ...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hmm... firmware flash update wont help here :) then suggest that its someting you look at down the road in its probably not that hard diy or order some local custom made screws and knob that suit ones personal taste 100% ;) ...
There will probably be mod dealers ready to supply these.

Bliman

Yeah. I just want to know how it feels? Does it feels like it is good qualtiy? I am just asking. It could be very nice.
It just looks like a screwing bottle cap to me. But I certainly don't want to ridicule them and it could feel very good and could be good build quality to. I am just curious. I certainly don't want to say it is bad, because I really don't know. For the rest it looks very very good.

Zog

Just got a note from Pavel (Okto Research) stating that the DAC8 Pro will be „lauched“ (shipped?) in two to three weeks from now and the DAC8 Stereo „shortly after“. In order to say sorry for the delay and thanks for the patience Okto has decided to provide a lifetime warranty for all preordered units.
Nice touch.
Thanks for the report. With any luck it will be launched at the same time as it is lauched. My tuppence worth regarding delay is that I would rather wait for a stable product than get a sub-optimal product now.

Okto Research

How do you find the build quality and attention to detail?
I zoomed in and the main knob looks a bit cheap with those grooves. And these screws look weird but that could be the photo.
The knob is actually solid aluminium, pretty heavy and made in Germany (by Mentor GmbH). But we would prefer one without grooves too, so suggestions are welcome if anyone knows a replacement.

@Okto Research
Do you join CanJam London 2019?
No, not enough spare time and people at the moment, sorry. But we look forward to take part in exhibitions in the future.

Not to be pushy, but when this month can we expect the Stereo launch? :D
Well, not this month after all. But soon after the DAC8 PRO launch which is planned for 2-3 weeks from now.

We're glad for the positive feedback on the black front design. Stay tuned.

Bliman

The knob is actually solid aluminium, pretty heavy and made in Germany (by Mentor GmbH). But we would prefer one without grooves too, so suggestions are welcome if anyone knows a replacement.

No, not enough spare time and people at the moment, sorry. But we look forward to take part in exhibitions in the future.

Well, not this month after all. But soon after the DAC8 PRO launch which is planned for 2-3 weeks from now.

We're glad for the positive feedback on the black front design. Stay tuned.
Thank you for the little update. I am very much anticipating the stereo dac. And yeah it would be great if there were no grooves. But thank you very much for your honesty. Big thumbs up.

MWC

I'm wanting 1 of these Mch DAC8s as soon as I can save up the required cash. Is €989 still the final purchase price?

Which one of the 'additional features' would members go for or recommend?
Choice between 7 Sabre's internal FIR filters
Individual channel volume
Trigger output (pulse / continuous)
Configurable auto on / auto off
Full control with either pushable knob or remote
Remote control learning
32-bit volume control
2x 2.42" OLED displays

Currently I have 2 Adam A7X monitors and plan to buy another pair for surround, if I can use channel mapping in Foobar2000 with the Ockto DAC8 Pro, rather than use a surround amp/receiver. Probably add another A7X as a centre later. Does this seem feasible?

Last edited:

chi2

Forum Donor
I'd definitely prefer a grooveless knob, too. Mentor's program (https://www.mentor-bauelemente.de/katalog/k/MENTOR-K.pdf) seems somewhat limited, but they have a picture on page 23 with a very nice looking, plain silver knob without grooves which, unfortunately, I'm unable to find listed in the catalog. If this were avaliable in the correct size in black, I'd be all over it.

Mentor knob.png

MWC

Apart from the grooves being dust traps, I have no dislike of this knob, as is. However the one chi2 found, even if only silver on a black face plate, would still look nice to me.

Bliman

Bliman

Figured someone would be interested, so I took a quick shot of the internals of the newly arrived DAC8 DSP. :)
View attachment 28769
Does anyone have an opinion about how it looks inside? Sometimes I read here that somethings looks very good or that the material is very good? And what is the opinion of the layout?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is a ton of room in there allowing them to keep things separate which no doubt is helping with performance. Overall, it looks good to me. I would just check to make sure they sanded off the screw to the chassis for the mains safety ground (green/yellow wire at the IEC terminal).

Bliman

There is a ton of room in there allowing them to keep things separate which no doubt is helping with performance. Overall, it looks good to me. I would just check to make sure they sanded off the screw to the chassis for the mains safety ground (green/yellow wire at the IEC terminal).
Thank you.

Top Bottom