• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Okto Research

Meant to say east coast (Massachusetts actually). My apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:

Pulas

The tour has been pretty quiet. I have only seen one review from the tour to date. I requested to be on the tour, but haven't heard anything in response, so don't know if it is still going on or if I have been included. Hopefully the OKTO elves are busy building and shipping product.
Hi,
I'm new to the forum but I'm on the tour, currently having the unit. I'm sending it out later this week.
I have tried hard to find out if it has any special descriptor to its sounds. I could not. It is perfectly neutral, clean and dynamic, does not seem to add or take away from the music it is reconstructing from the digital data stream. It is like a laboratory tool presenting the rest of the playback system with a pure signal. The headphone amp section is good, but it takes THX 789 headphone amp to reveal its resolving power with cans capable of dealing with it (Sennheiser HD 800 with Dupont mod). It is like moving the music from a dampened "dead" room to a more reverberating venue allowing the brain to sort out spacial clues and other subtle details better. Less resolving but more colored and warmer headphones will sound that way, (Audeze lcdx) great for classical music. Electrostatics with super delicate highs and speed will sound like that with nothing holding them back. The DAC8 definitely leaves the coloring and the flavoring for the end of the chain. I'm will be getting the stereo unit when it becomes available.

Bliman

Hi,
I'm new to the forum but I'm on the tour, currently having the unit. I'm sending it out later this week.
I have tried hard to find out if it has any special descriptor to its sounds. I could not. It is perfectly neutral, clean and dynamic, does not seem to add or take away from the music it is reconstructing from the digital data stream. It is like a laboratory tool presenting the rest of the playback system with a pure signal. The headphone amp section is good, but it takes THX 789 headphone amp to reveal its resolving power with cans capable of dealing with it (Sennheiser HD 800 with Dupont mod). It is like moving the music from a dampened "dead" room to a more reverberating venue allowing the brain to sort out spacial clues and other subtle details better. Less resolving but more colored and warmer headphones will sound that way, (Audeze lcdx) great for classical music. Electrostatics with super delicate highs and speed will sound like that with nothing holding them back. The DAC8 definitely leaves the coloring and the flavoring for the end of the chain. I'm will be getting the stereo unit when it becomes available.
Thank you

Olli

Forum Donor

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you planning on reviewing a DAC8 Stereo?

Roen

Actually, we don't recommend using adapters like that or the XLR to RCA cables since they usually short a cold (-) signal lead to ground, which does significantly increase distortion in case of DAC8. If such a conversion is needed, transformer-based adapter is the best.

Yes.

There are several improvements concerning analog performance, functionality and aesthetics . Please let us be secretive until the DAC8 PRO launch, when we reveal all the details. Just hold on with your order.

We confirmed the inclusion in the tour to everyone who dropped us a line, so your e-mail must have slipped by. Please write us once more.

The demo unit is now on the west east coast and we pick the order to optimize the shipping distance rather than chronologically. So if you happen to be there, you might expect it soon.

Which is the better configuration?

https://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/xlr-rca-1.html

Okto Research

They both do the same - short one of the signal conductors to ground. This would overload the output stage and cause distortion.

Yes, or this:
https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/pc-2xr/

If they send me one, sure.
We will be happy to do so, since the R&S UPV audio analyzer we use lags in performance behind the APx555 under most circumstances.

Veri

Master Contributor
We will be happy to do so, since the R&S UPV audio analyzer we use lags in performance behind the APx555 under most circumstances.

Awesome! :D you guys are. PS, is it true Okto will work on a 9038Pro design as well? I'm no longer sure where I read this possibly diyaudio.
Big if true

chairephon

The Okto specs are impressive. Maybe something to displace my Oppo Sonica. I need a fixed output level to feed my preamp. Does the Okto have that?

Veri

Master Contributor
@AndrewMason care to weigh in?
AFAIK Andrew recommended one pin to shield, like the (non-floating) benchmark RCA/XLR or even the monoprice one:
51pLSwO-B6L._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

Roen

Basically the first orientation in the mediacollege.com link posted above.

g29

About time for another Tour Review !!!

Top Bottom