• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

zappa

Hi everybody,
Has anyone received the DAC8 (8channels) ?
It should starts deliveries in May.

zappa

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I mean DAC8 Pro.

Another question, is about the ASIO driver (for USB use with JRiver convolution 8 channels).
I suppose DAC8 PRO has a ASIO driver (windows) (8 channels)
There is no mention about on oktoresearch website neither no driver's download link.
Also, a download of the Manual would be very welcome.

Okto Research

We decided to implement a lot of new features and improvements over the pre-production unit seen in the review, which caused some delay. The DAC8 PRO will be launched in the following weeks and the deliveries will take place after that. Please stay tuned for something special!

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I mean DAC8 Pro.

Another question, is about the ASIO driver (for USB use with JRiver convolution 8 channels).
I suppose DAC8 PRO has a ASIO driver (windows) (8 channels)
There is no mention about on oktoresearch website neither no driver's download link.
Also, a download of the Manual would be very welcome.

DAC8 PRO's USB input is UAC2 compliant, so no driver is needed on Mac OS, Linux and Windows 10. For ASIO (which only concerns Windows machines), ASIO4ALL driver can be used. In this regard, it works the same as the unit Amir reviewed.

The user manual will be released with the product launch.

Last edited:

Snafu

Thank You for commenting here OR.

I have tube pre amp that has only RCA in, is stereo DAC8 available with RCA and XLR (if so does it effect to headphone connection)?
And does Volumio support Tidals gapless play ?

Thanks again.

zappa

DAC8 PRO's USB input is UAC2 compliant, so no driver is needed on Mac OS, Linux and Windows 10. For ASIO (which only concerns Windows machines), ASIO4ALL driver can be used. In this regard, it works the same as the unit Amir reviewed.

Thank you Pavel,
"UAC2 compliant" means that, for example, JRiver (windows10) will see DAC8 PRO as a soundcard with 8 individual output channels ?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor

I have tube pre amp that has only RCA in, is stereo DAC8 available with RCA and XLR (if so does it effect to headphone connection)?

Thanks again.
There is only XLR out. They already explained why, RCA loses common mode noise rejection and they refuse to have such an obvious flaw in an otherwise perfectly noise-less product :) You could drop one leg to get RCA out via an adapter like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PHWKM8S/

Or use a common XLR>RCA adapter cable (only half the voltage will carry over obviously). Something as cheap as the monoprice ones on amazon should in theory work fine. But you could end up with a less perfect signal due to the RCA limitations :)

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you Pavel,
"UAC2 compliant" means that, for example, JRiver (windows10) will see DAC8 PRO as a soundcard with 8 individual output channels ?

Exactly will i mean and also think remember amirm or was it the impressed pink panther :p told about he looked into 8 inputs where actual test was run via channels 1/2, so in JRiver to get it bitperfect use WASAPI that in my experience always works very good and sounds all from good to pleasing when tuning buffers in JRiver, what i will miss about real ASIO support is the few more settings where one often can tweak for example in buffer settings, that said i have no experience using ASIO4ALL and it can be its as good the real thing, well actual member @edechamps talk good about it in other thread at this site (LINK: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...music-players-foobar-jriver.7412/#post-171114)

gvl

Major Contributor
We decided to implement a lot of new features and improvements over the pre-production unit seen in the review, which caused some delay. The DAC8 PRO will be launched in the following weeks and the deliveries will take place after that. Please stay tuned for something special!

What about poor losers like me who can't afford a new W10 PC and still run W7?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Since I can't seem to get a response via email, I'll try here. Does this mean that a USB streamer will work with ALL 8 channels?

gvl

Major Contributor
Has anyone here subscribed to the US demo tour and already received the unit? Is the demo program still ongoing?

zappa

We decided to implement a lot of new features and improvements over the pre-production unit seen in the review, ...
Please stay tuned for something special!

Dear Okto Research, please tell us more

Thank you in advance

Bliman

I have no access to my main system for months now because I use my headphone amplifier with my computer now.
I would have hoped to have access to the Stereo dac 8, so I could start using my main system again.
If you have more information when the stereo dac tour starts that would be great. I read that the Dac8 Pro will be first.
But could you give a date and maybe more information about the stereo dac. I would love to try it out and if it matches in my system, buy it.
If you have a Tidal subscription would the music then also go from the Rasberry pi in the stereo dac 8 through the dac?
I really hope I can test it soon. I feel so lonely without my music out of my main system.

zappa

We decided to implement a lot of new features and improvements over the pre-production unit seen in the review, ...
Please stay tuned for something special!

Please, let us know more.
It is not easy to pre-order without information about these changes

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone here subscribed to the US demo tour and already received the unit? Is the demo program still ongoing?

The tour has been pretty quiet. I have only seen one review from the tour to date. I requested to be on the tour, but haven't heard anything in response, so don't know if it is still going on or if I have been included. Hopefully the OKTO elves are busy building and shipping product.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
The tour has been pretty quiet. I have only seen one review from the tour to date. I requested to be on the tour, but haven't heard anything in response, so don't know if it is still going on or if I have been included. Hopefully the OKTO elves are busying building and shipping product.

Pavel confirmed my initial request couple of months ago, but nothing happened since then.

Okto Research

Thanks again.
There is only XLR out. They already explained why, RCA loses common mode noise rejection and they refuse to have such an obvious flaw in an otherwise perfectly noise-less product :) You could drop one leg to get RCA out via an adapter like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PHWKM8S/

Or use a common XLR>RCA adapter cable (only half the voltage will carry over obviously). Something as cheap as the monoprice ones on amazon should in theory work fine. But you could end up with a less perfect signal due to the RCA limitations :)

Actually, we don't recommend using adapters like that or the XLR to RCA cables since they usually short a cold (-) signal lead to ground, which does significantly increase distortion in case of DAC8. If such a conversion is needed, transformer-based adapter is the best.
Thank you Pavel,

Yes.

Dear Okto Research, please tell us more

Thank you in advance
There are several improvements concerning analog performance, functionality and aesthetics . Please let us be secretive until the DAC8 PRO launch, when we reveal all the details. Just hold on with your order.

The tour has been pretty quiet. I have only seen one review from the tour to date. I requested to be on the tour, but haven't heard anything in response, so don't know if it is still going on or if I have been included. Hopefully the OKTO elves are busying building and shipping product.

We confirmed the inclusion in the tour to everyone who dropped us a line, so your e-mail must have slipped by. Please write us once more.

Pavel confirmed my initial request couple of months ago, but nothing happened since then.
The demo unit is now on the west east coast and we pick the order to optimize the shipping distance rather than chronologically. So if you happen to be there, you might expect it soon.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
The demo unit is now on the west coast and we pick the order to optimize the shipping distance rather than chronologically. So if you happen to be there, you might expect it soon.

Aha, I happen to be right there down the map. Can't wait :) Thanks for responding here.

Top Bottom