• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Nord One NC500 Amp

Wombat

Master Contributor
Is there an issue with the Nord amp and Dynamic Range? If not, what's this all about matey?:rolleyes:

maty

Major Contributor
I just answered a generic question that many have had to ask themselves and not only estuardo4.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I just answered a generic question that many have had to ask themselves and not only estuardo4.

Somewhat OT, it seems.

A high DR Recording thread may be worthwhile for those with a particular interest. :)

Disclaimer: I listen to music I like and I see Hi-DR as a preference/bonus but not always essential. :cool:

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mola-Mola mono amp, with Hypex NC1200

Picture optimized and rotated. From https://darko.audio/2015/08/kih-24-gone-fishin-for-perfection/

View attachment 27111

By the way, I can see.... a RFI/EMI IEC inlet filter. During my participation in the discussion about the first implementation of the ICEpower 1200AS2 module (bavmike, Mivera, in Audiocircle forums), I suggested its need.

I have a lot of RF/EMI Schaffner FN9244B in my two audio systems. And Würth 150 kHz ferrites.

* B: medical

IEC-inlet-filter-Schaffner-FN_9244-specs.png

IEC-inlet-filter-Schaffner-FN_9244-cicuit.png

IEC-inlet-filter-Schaffner-FN_9244-typical-filter-attenuation.png

My understanding was that the filter is to block EMI from the amp getting on to the mains?

maty

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Armand

Audio Company
I suppose you have sent the Nord amplifiers back to the owner by now, but if not it would be interesting to see som data on CMRR.

maty

Major Contributor
Buffer stage vs Op-amps

As with DACs, the implementation of the chip is very important, something that many forget.

jalejos (ATM) has been measuring the same op-amps, discrete or not, depending on how the buffer circuitry improved. v3 <- v2 <- v1

https://www.acoustic-technology.com/en/blog-atm-en/buffer-for-hypex-nc500-v3-smd-part-ii

In his day I criticized the terrible graphics of the Burson, v1.

ATM-buffer-Burson-v1.jpg

ATM-buffer-Burson-v2.jpg

ATM-buffer-Burson-v3.jpg

That is why it is so important that the measurements are good, they serve to detect errors, not guaranteeing an excellent sound by themselves.

Now I like Burson v3. H2 predominant with H3 about 10 dB below.

Having the Sparkos, Sonic... we will have a profile almost without harmonics.

It seems more logical (to me) to use the preamp to choose our favorite sound profile depending on the type of music but it could also be done that way, with a very clean DAC as well.

maty

Major Contributor
Nord NC500 Rev-D Input Buffer Board Upgrade

https://hifipig.com/nord-nc500-rev-d-input-buffer-board-upgrade/

Conclusion

We have not been shy about preference, the Sonic Imagery 990EnH are our choice, we find these op-amps to have a slightly smoother top-end than the Sparkos 2590, but still with lots of sparkle, absolutely fantastic levels of detail through the whole frequency range and an overall depth and timbre that, with quality recordings, simply becomes breathtakingly real...

maty

Major Contributor
Two interesting subjective reviews and experience with them:

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time

* https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=9369&p=280999&viewfull=1#post280999

* https://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=9369&p=281305&viewfull=1#post281305

...Sound-wise, they are incredibly quiet (no hum or noise coming from my fairly efficient speakers), very dynamic sound with great bass (although the bass in my speakers is powered separately), very stable imaging (although not exceptionally wide and deep).

But I listen to a lot of vocals (jazz, folk, classic rock), and this amp just sounds a little too sterile. I never got the emotional feel that I got with the Krell...

With class A / AB, too much negative feedback -> very good specs, more than 29 dB is a bad idea (worse sound quality) said someone designers in diyaudio forums. Usually class-D and tweeter is not a good idea.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

You better watch out. Drone thermal imaging may target you.

maty

Major Contributor
The internal wiring of the equipment says a lot about the assembler. Imagine how warm the wires above the SMPS transformer will be :facepalm:

Again, Hypex NCxxx and small box without ventilation ... if you demand watts? them they get very hot, too much.

PS: months go by and Nord continues without answering my email. They will be very busy with the wiring.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Imagine how warm the wires above the SMPS transformer will be :facepalm:
It is not an issue for those wires. They are rated at much higher voltage and at any rate, they are not likely to melt or anything.

But yes, they could pick up some magnetic fields that way so would probably be best to route them away from everything.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Fascinating waste of heatsinking. Why does Nord do this?

The fancy SE case has heat sinks. The less expensive ones do not.

Top Bottom