• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Nord One NC500 Amp

BobPM

Personally, I would say you are better off going with more power. The NC500 has distortion so low that it is audibly transparent, so I'm not sure if it matters having distortion even lower than what can't be heard anyways. However, running out of power and clipping the amp will certainly be heard, so I personally don't see the reason to spend a lot more money for much less power and a little lower distortion(for the Puri or Benchmark). Nord's 3 channel I think comes to around $1700 shipped with a 10% code that is available. The other bang for the buck contender imo would be the Monolith 3/5/7+ channel. It doesn't have as much power as the Nord but if its more than you need, it is somewhat cheaper and seems to measure quite well(on Audioholics)

Thanks for the advice I really only need two channels for this system, and am leaning towards the NC500 Std., at about $1394 at current currency conversion rates with shipping to the US. Can always add Nord's buffer board upgrades later, but will likely pick up a Freya+ first so I can dial in the distortion/coloration I want.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the advice I really only need two channels for this system, and am leaning towards the NC500 Std., at about $1394 at current currency conversion rates with shipping to the US. Can always add Nord's buffer board upgrades later, but will likely pick up a Freya+ first so I can dial in the distortion/coloration I want.

I don't think $300(i.e. $1400 vs $1700) is worth limiting yourself to 2 channels. Just a thought. Maybe you decide 6 months or a year or two years to try multi channel. I don't think two channel is necessarily optimal, just common. I've enjoyed listening in multi channel more and more lately. Or repurpose for home theater?

As far as the buffer board upgrades, I'd have to see measurements proving they were any sort of upgrade over Hypex.

Koeitje

Major Contributor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Was a bit surprised to see this negative review. I own the Nord Hypex 3 channel amp, and I've compared it to and prefer it to a similar cost Emotiva A/B design that got a more positive review. Sonically, they were very similar(I couldn't really tell them apart), but the Nord gives slightly more power, and is like half the size. I could probably fit 2 of them in the space that the Emotiva fills.

Attachments

• IMG_8481.JPG
    IMG_8481.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 235

Zoomer

Beyond parody.

laidick

Forum Donor

Was a bit surprised to see this negative review. I own the Nord Hypex 3 channel amp, and I've compared it to and prefer it to a similar cost Emotiva A/B design that got a more positive review. Sonically, they were very similar(I couldn't really tell them apart), but the Nord gives slightly more power, and is like half the size. I could probably fit 2 of them in the space that the Emotiva fills.

This guy just get used to listen music in mist , with bad recordings etc...
Now when everything is cleared he blames the amp instead of trying to get a better recording.
It's a real shame.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now when everything is cleared he blames the amp instead of trying to get a better recording.
It's a real shame.

I found it surprising, as he almost never gives a bad review. In fact, this may be his first?(at least that I've heard).

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Never seen this guy before. The review was actually not bad for a subjective piece. He acknowledged (and did not argue) it measured very well, but the "sound" was not for him. Not applicable to anyone else, but neither is the subjective positive reviews. Cant argue with a personal opinion. Liked the fact he dismissed the opamp rolling myth - having bought and tried it himself.
I guess the only take away message was one of his last lines - you have to try it yourself in your own system and make up your own mind.....

laidick

Forum Donor
Never seen this guy before. The review was actually not bad for a subjective piece. He acknowledged (and did not argue) it measured very well, but the "sound" was not for him. Not applicable to anyone else, but neither is the subjective positive reviews. Cant argue with a personal opinion. Liked the fact he dismissed the opamp rolling myth - having bought and tried it himself.
I guess the only take away message was one of his last lines - you have to try it yourself in your own system and make up your own mind.....

Totally agree the last one. Don't trust others ear, try it yourself.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
It's a real shame.

You know this is the classic audiophile type response. If someone dislikes your chosen amp - "you dont understand what your listening to".

If your happy with your gear, no need for rebuttal/criticism to a personal opinion. It simply goes nowhere. Hence the neverending pointless debates in audiophile circles.

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I guess it may have something to do with the fact I would not "send" him a free amp to review.
This unit is an early MKI (REV C buffer no aluminium badge or rear laser marking on the rear panel.)

This is the normal kind of feedback we get, this from Mark Fuller Mastering
"Best amp I ever heard. At first it was harsh a bit plus 3db hotter than the Bryston. Had to adjust subs. Played it 24 hours straight and went to work. Best hi mids and highs ever on my Lipinski 707a’s.
Tomorrow REW and move things a bit, redo Acourate.
Amazing amp, Colin.
Thanks man!"
And followed it up with
"Will take pics. I'm tearing some stuff down today in order to re-position speakers and do more REW and Acourate work.
Going to be a mess. But yea, will take pics asap.

Man, maybe it's psychological but I swear the thing sounds better each day. I've been looping albums all night at low volumes so it's been working almost non-stop.

I'm stunned how good it sounds."

TimoJ

I guess it may have something to do with the fact I would not "send" him a free amp to review.
Their Youtube about page has the text below. Are you suggesting that it's just BS and in real life things go differently?

Our Review Policy for Companies
1. It is very important that we talk about the fate of the review unit AFTER the review.
2. If the company wants to support us via donation, it is also very important that this is done AFTER the review and that it is a "donation" and not a payment for the review.
*if at any time the gesture to make donation or keep the product is brought up prior or during the review process, nbt studio is bound legally to terminate the process of the review or let the viewers know that it is a sponsored video.*
*nbt studio reserves the right to terminate the review process or change the date of its release*

Crane

Forum Donor
It's quite simple most people dont understand the functions of an equipment and the audio society for the longest time feed people on the notion of how things should be.

DAC/Amps are there to convert/amplify signals to their truest nature, no coloration, distortions, noise, etc should be present. If you want hifi that's how it's done. The fact they dont like clean sound means they either hate their recording or the speakers (non-flat).

kaka89

This unit is an early MKI (REV C buffer no aluminium badge or rear laser marking on the rear panel.)

To be fair, the reviewer also reviewed NAD M10 which also use Hypex module and he didn't gave such negative feedback.
And the unit was also not a free gift, it was purchased by his friend.

I don't think discredit a reviewer this way is very fair.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Hang on, so the claim is they asked for a free unit, and the review was negative when it was not free??

Crane

Forum Donor
I'm not sure about that claim but the fact that he believes a DAC/Amp should sound different makes him like most reviewers flawed. It's true that the unit he has may have an issue but overall the thought that class-D have a sound signature and class AB is better is absurd.

The fact is we are getting to a point where the function of these equipment are meeting above specification. So in reality, a DAC/amp should represent the actual sound coming out like a phone/megaphone. You either like/hate sound coming from the otherside or the design of sound distributor (horn of a megaphone/speaker) is affecting based on distance, distortions, interwinding noise,etc.

DAC/Amps are only format converters/enhancers not a sound signal changer.

Zoomer

Cool, a honeypot for subjectivists.
honeypot.jpg

Keep 'm busy here!
I notice a marked improvement in the other threads already. Better defined opinions, less harshness and distorted views, sunnier outlook altogether.:cool:

jae

Major Contributor

Audiophoolery at its finest.

Top Bottom