• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Veri

Master Contributor
I’ve tried a bunch of different opamps before I forced myself to study what I was actually doing. By messing with opamps you are actually coloring the sound, messing with transparency and/or introducing distortion. Eventually I went back to the original.
Good man ;)

chefffe

Hi,
I just registered as I found very valuable informations about the DACs I am interested in. What I am still not really be able to decide according the info I found here ... does anyone can tell me if the Topping has the 100 bucks more "value" than the Loxjie D30? Does the Topping sound any better? I also want to use Bluetooth. Is the BT of the Topping better than the BT of D30?
I could get the Loxje in the Warehouse for 138€, the Topping is not available in EU cheaper than 250€.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi,
I just registered as I found very valuable informations about the DACs I am interested in. What I am still not really be able to decide according the info I found here ... does anyone can tell me if the Topping has the 100 bucks more "value" than the Loxjie D30? Does the Topping sound any better? I also want to use Bluetooth. Is the BT of the Topping better than the BT of D30?
I could get the Loxje in the Warehouse for 138€, the Topping is not available in EU cheaper than 250€.
The Loxjie is far better value in this case, which you must realise as well ;) just don't bet a lot on the included headphone amp. As a DAC it's great.

chefffe

Thats very helpful, thanks! The headphone Amp will not be used at all. Loxje is ordered :)
I want to feed my new XTZ Digitalamp, with it. Using BT with my Mobile, SPDIF optical from TV and USB from HTPC. All of this must be able to be used by remote control, which should be fine with the Loxje.

Gggggas

Hi there folks my question may sound silly but I recently ordered the A50S and I'm already an owner of the D50 (not the S version), I don't use BT and I'm not interested in the remote either.
Sound wise do you think it's worth the jump to the D50S?

Thanks in advance

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there folks my question may sound silly but I recently ordered the A50S and I'm already an owner of the D50 (not the S version), I don't use BT and I'm not interested in the remote either.

Thanks in advance

Easy question. No. Don't bother if there isn't a function you are missing.

Toku

Major Contributor

Thanks in advance
I used to use two D50s before, but I also purchased an additional D50s. However, I didn't feel any difference in sound quality between the two. The problems of D50 are inherited by D50s as they are.

chefffe

Thats very helpful, thanks! The headphone Amp will not be used at all. Loxje is ordered :)
I want to feed my new XTZ Digitalamp, with it. Using BT with my Mobile, SPDIF optical from TV and USB from HTPC. All of this must be able to be used by remote control, which should be fine with the Loxje.
I recieved yesterday both the Loxjie D30 and the Topping D50s. I have to say that even I have pretty outstanding speakers (Thiel/Audaphone) and good amplifier (XTZ) I couldnt hear a major difference between these two boxes. There are for sure slight differences but nothing which I would say thats it, thats better sounding. Also BT is pretty equal sounding ...
Therefore I went over to compare the usability and here I see clearly the Loxjie with advantages. The line-out is much louder, the Display is readable even 4m away and everything works perfectly right out of the box. Additionally I got the Loxjie for 135€ as WHD and the D50s is only available at stock price. So the decision was easy for me ... (even the look and quality feel of d50s is maybe something better than the Loxjie).

AbelF

Hi Guys, after reading the raving reviews of the d50s and the Amirs detailed analysis, I decided to purchase it. I have been using it for over a month now connected to my raspberry pi via usb and everything sounds great. This little device has such a nice feel to it and it sounds flawless to my ears. I have been having a slight issue though with a very specific track and I would like to know if you guys experience the same thing. Its a speaker test track that is on spotify and youtube. The audio just clicks and cuts off when playing the "right channel". It cuts off for about 3 seconds. This happens with several inputs on different sources but not all of them. So far this has been the behaviour:

With raspberry pi and spotify connect (volumio):
usb input: cuts off
optical with digi board: cuts off
Coax, digi board: cuts off

raspberry pi (volumio) mp3 ripped from youtube from nas and usb stick:
cuts off on all inputs (usb, coax, optical)

Xbox one via optical plays ok from youtube and spotify connect.

With pc via usb:
Youtube: ok
spotify: cutts off
mp3 on hd: ok

Works ok via bluetooth from spotify and youtube.

Is my unit faulty or is there some quirk with this specific track?

This is the link to the track on youtube and spotify:

Thanks for any input you guys might have. This is a totally awesome community.

Cheers,
Abel

AbelF

This video shows what is happening in my case. Weird. What could cause this? It has only happened with this specific track so far.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How strange, it seems unlikely that this would be anything to do with the D50s. What happens if you switch the left and right output on the D50s?

AbelF

How strange, it seems unlikely that this would be anything to do with the D50s. What happens if you switch the left and right output on the D50s?

I tried that already, it always cuts at the same moment, but now the words "right channel" come out of the left speaker instead. I also tried connecting the coax and optical outputs of the digi board to the dac on my integrated amp and there was no issue. Its only happening with the d50s. Tried with a different power supply on the d50s, issue remains.

cheers
Abel

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, if the issue remains on the same channel on the D50s when everything else is changed, then it seems reasonable to deduce that there is an issue with the analogue output on the D50s.

N

nhatlam96

When I connect my smartphone to this DAC via bluetooth, does it automaticaly change to BT input mode or do I have to do that manually?
Also when I disconnect my smartphone from the topping d50s, does it automatically change back to the last input mode?

koopie

I usually leave my Topping D50s connected to the USB hub which is connected to my MacBook. For some reason, I keep hearing/seeing the D50s turning itself on while the MacBook is sleeping, which then turns on the MacBook. Any idea why this is happening?

koopie

MacBooks are notorious for grounding noise due to their bulky SMPS power supplies.

Ah. Any way to prevent this from happening apart from disconnecting the DAC every time? Is there a way to turn off the “auto on” feature for the D50s?

Top Bottom