• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Timbo2

Well, its perfectly fine to me. They did put closer to the power stage.

The antenna cable goes directly to the connector. It's 10cm long.

If you are unhappy, you can always open it and put some duty tape on it.

You can see the cable goes a bit below on chassis, there is a line hole all across it.

It would fit the tape perfectly there if you want (if you are looking/want more bluetooth isolation).

Also, you can turn off BT completly (on menu), and only turn on when you will really use it.

I was talking more from a design and manufacturing cost standpoint. I'm not especially concerned from an audibility standpoint and since I don't use Bluetooth the radio is turned off.

mickthekraken

If this is elsewhere here, my apologies for the duplicate.

I'm now solely using a D50s (was also using a Chord Qute EX that I prefer the sound of) as the convenience of Bluetooth is undeniable. I "upgraded" to Tidal Hifi, but then immediately saw that the DAC is stating 48kHz, as opposed to 192 or even 44.1. The content is one rate, but what the DAC outputs is downsampled/compromised. I also went ahead and tried Amazon HD just to see what it would render...same thing. Is there any way around this or is this the nature of Bluetooth? It doesn't sound bad by any means, but I don't need to be spending the money on any "HiFi" this or "HD" that if I'm not getting everything out of it.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
If this is elsewhere here, my apologies for the duplicate.

I'm now solely using a D50s (was also using a Chord Qute EX that I prefer the sound of) as the convenience of Bluetooth is undeniable. I "upgraded" to Tidal Hifi, but then immediately saw that the DAC is stating 48KHz, as opposed to 192 or even 44.1. The content is one rate, but what the DAC outputs is downsampled/compromised. I also went ahead and tried Amazon HD just to see what it would render...same thing. Is there any way around this or is this the nature of Bluetooth? It doesn't sound bad by any means, but I don't need to be spending the money on any "HiFi" this or "HD" that if I'm not getting everything out of it.

Thanks for your time.
Android phone right? It's your OS resampling to 48kHz I believe.

mickthekraken

Android phone right? It's your OS resampling to 48kHz I believe.
This is going from either an iPhone (SE;13.3.1) or a MacBook (2017;13.0.4). And let me clarify that I'm really more "concerned" with the 24/96 material, as the 16/44.1 should still be "intact" at 48kHz (which will then only really affect the MASTER and ULTRA HD offerings of either service).

Last edited:

mickthekraken

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 11.51.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 11.51.52 AM.png
    498.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

GeorgeWalk

That's because you are using Bluetooth. I don;t think Bluetooth has the bandwidth to support higher data rates. I use either optical or USB and can set any rate I want.

mickthekraken

That's because you are using Bluetooth. I don;t think Bluetooth has the bandwidth to support higher data rates. I use either optical or USB and can set any rate I want.
Hence my initial question. It appears that Bluetooth is, in fact, limited, regardless of what the literature states: "...Hi-Res Audio Wireless certificate and SONY LDAC certificate." Unless, of course, "Hi-Res" here means anything "lossless". I would still like to understand why it's not 16/44.1 when playing that content/data. If it just plain doesn't matter then I'm fine with it. And so, can anyone tell me "Yes" or "No" that I'm at least able to convert 16/44.1 correctly when using Bluetooth? The 96 and 192 content are not really of concern if the former is properly in place and functioning correctly.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning

If you are using LDAC 990kbps you get pretty good results (for wireless). I tested here with my S8 (Android), works perfect.

The max is by using LDAC.

More here:
https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

But of course, it will never compare to USB.

Last edited:

Gradius

A complete test:

LDAC 990kbps (Bluetooth): 24-bit @ 96kHz

PCM: 32-bit @ 768kHz

DSD512

Attachments

• BT.jpg
    BT.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 329
  • PCM.jpg
    PCM.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 320
  • DSD512.jpg
    DSD512.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 296

mickthekraken

A complete test:

LDAC 990kbps (Bluetooth): 24-bit @ 96kHz

PCM: 32-bit @ 768kHz

DSD512
I'm apparently not allowed to get to the link to download the necessary tools. While I scour the Internet, anyone have a link to something I might have access to? Thanks again, folks!

mickthekraken

Please kindly disregard. The direct link (bypassing the required authentication) didn't work, but the main one did. Here goes...

mickthekraken

So, I enabled AptX, which changed nothing (still stuck at 48kHz, regardless of content). How does one go about enabling LDAC? Either way, it seems far from ideal for a hifi home system (or at least that's what I'm gathering).

ninetylol

So, I enabled AptX, which changed nothing (still stuck at 48kHz, regardless of content). How does one go about enabling LDAC? Either way, it seems far from ideal for a hifi home system (or at least that's what I'm gathering).
LDAC is on android only. Sorry bro.

mickthekraken

LDAC is on android only. Sorry bro.[/QUOT E]
Roger that. And thanks for the confirmation. Back to the Squeezebox and Chord I go. Thanks again everyone for your time on this.

sotiridaf

I have 2 questions for the d50s

1. The rca can be set as line out? I want to use them as fixed outputs to a pre amp. I dont want to use them as pre amp
2. I had already a good Meier StageDac . D50s would be a downgrade?

Top Bottom