• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

maxxevv

Major Contributor
This is perhaps the most dangerous audio forum of all. Yes, I’ve just ordered one of those things. And yes, you folk made me do it.

LOL ....at least for over 90% of the time, recommendations here come from a basis grounded in science and measurements. Not airy-fairy plucked out of thin air euphoria as with lots of other audio forums !

BogdanR

LOL ....at least for over 90% of the time, recommendations here come from a basis grounded in science and measurements. Not airy-fairy plucked out of thin air euphoria as with lots of other audio forums !
Heh... I’m one of those “middle of the road” people whose final choice comes down to my personal likes/ idiosyncrasies. But, and this is a big but, any piece of gear I spend money on needs to measure at least acceptably. And If I decide to spend say over a grand or more, the measured performance better be excellent.

As a corollary to me being an engineer, I do acknowledge that most of the times absolute state of the art might be expensive for various reasons. I expect however benchmark measured performance out of those devices.

But that’s just me.

TomB19

Hello again.
I threw myself to a d50pro topping. But I see that it has no power supply included. Do you necessarily need 5v with 1 a ... or does 5v2a work?

You don't need anything, if you run it from USB. It operates fine on USB power from a computer.

Snafu

I have lately had some dropouts between ASUS360 WIN10 laptop and (USB) D50S when using Tidal. Music just stops but time runs in Tidal app.

Tidal log gives "AUDCLNT_E_BUFFER_SIZE_ERROR"

I have tried adjusting buffer size from Topping win10 interface and made a factory reset for D50s. No help so far, any ideas ?

Thanks

Last edited:

BogdanR

I have lately had some dropouts between ASUS360 WIN10 laptop and (USB) D50S when using Tidal. Music just stops but time runs in Tidal app.

I have tried adjusting buffer size from Topping win10 interface and made a factory reset for D50s. No help so far, any ideas ?

Thanks

Can’t help you with Tidal but I had occasional dropouts in Foobar which were solved by increasing the buffer size to around 5 secs in the asio settings in the preferences. Same thing in JRiver.

Toku

Major Contributor

Thanks
Since the details of your use environment are unknown, we cannot give any useful advice.

Is the USB connection of the PC connected by installing the Topping driver?
Or are you using the Windows system audio engine without installing the Topping driver?
What is the resampling rate setting in that case?
What are the settings for PC power management?

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AUDCLNT_E_BUFFER_SIZE_ERROR:

"Indicates that the buffer duration value requested by an exclusive-mode client is out of range. The requested duration value for pull mode must not be greater than 500 milliseconds; for push mode the duration value must not be greater than 2 seconds."

Also: "The stream is exclusive mode and uses event-driven buffering, but the client attempted to get a packet that was not the size of the buffer."

Snafu

Yes, i use Topping interface = Topping drivers
No, i'm using Topping drivers, ASIO not active. Tidal controls D50s, volume 100%.
Buffer size, i have tested them all from 8 to 4096 samples, with and without "safe", currently 4096, safe, input 50.44ms, output 48.50ms.
These dropouts occur randomly and appeared week or so ago, no new hardware, apps or back ground programs.
Happens with "master mqa" and regular albums, not certain album or song that causes this, can't repeat when trying.
Laptop is ASUS360, no fans + ssd, haven't changed power settings

^
I found that explanation too, but isn't Tidal when in control sending these packages (by buffer size) and D50s just receives them without demanding certain size packet ?

I assume packet size doesn't change sound quality ?

Tidal log:
player log
RenderThread - IAudioRenderClient::GetBuffer failed: AUDCLNT_E_BUFFER_SIZE_ERROR

app log
Playback Report: {"UserID":xxxxxxxxx,"ClientType":"Desktop","ClientVersion":"2.11.3.634","PlatformType":"win32","PlatformVersion":"10.0.18363","RequestURL":"http://en-pr-fa.audio.tidal.com/v2/...yZjYzOGY4MWNlYzViY2NlNzNkZWY0MTZjNmI4MmI0Ng==","Type":"audio","RequestTime":"2020-01-02T09:35:46.246Z","PlaybackStartTime":"2020-01-02T09:35:59.127Z","PlaybackBufferTime":"2020-01-02T09:35:47.382Z","BufferUnderruns":0,"CDNIP":""}

Thanks again

Last edited:

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just asking, this or smsl m500? Great Review!!!!!!!
If you want an all in one with a headphone amp you probably know the answer. The smsl also got xlr out and MQA. The Topping is probably(!) more reliable though.

Snafu

and why this mqa sneaks in to every goddamn thread :facepalm:

d50x doesn't even support it but yeah let's talk about mqa and how lossy it is... :rolleyes:

kod

Hi i own Topping d50s and i have installed official drivers, foobar2000 and plugins.
When I set the output (foobar2000->preferences->tools->sacd->output mode: dsd) no sound.
When I set the output (foobar2000->preferences->tools->sacd->output mode: pcm) there is a sound. Topping control panel -> asio status -> ASIO Active (PCM mode). Is it possible to start the sound with dsd output(foobar2000->preferences->tools->sacd->output mode: dsd)?

Toku

Major Contributor
Why those new members prefer lossy (and pretty bad) mqa? Is a mystery or what? :p
In my case, I'm just interested in new technology.
But if it's bad, it's quickly eliminated from the world.
I don't feel anything good about MQA at the moment.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi i own Topping d50s and i have installed official drivers, foobar2000 and plugins.
When I set the output (foobar2000->preferences->tools->sacd->output mode: dsd) no sound.
When I set the output (foobar2000->preferences->tools->sacd->output mode: pcm) there is a sound. Topping control panel -> asio status -> ASIO Active (PCM mode). Is it possible to start the sound with dsd output(foobar2000->preferences->tools->sacd->output mode: dsd)?
Yes, you can play it.
However, the setting method of foober2000 depends on the ASIO driver to be installed.
I suggest that you first download the D50s driver from Topping's HP and follow the steps to set up Foober2000 in it.
This method is the easiest and can stably play up to PCM768kHz / 32bit and DSD512.
Please install the latest version of foober2000.
http://www.foobar2000.org/

Attachments

• The Settings of Foobar Player_EN.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 840

Blur

Forum Donor
I think the power rating is up to the device if I'm not mistaken. So 5v 2A should be fine as the device will only draw what current it needs form the power supply. Perhaps someone can correct me if that is not correct, but from what I can remember the current rating is more of what it can handle rather than what it actually outputs.

SeaNNyT

I think the power rating is up to the device if I'm not mistaken. So 5v 2A should be fine as the device will only draw what current it needs form the power supply. Perhaps someone can correct me if that is not correct, but from what I can remember the current rating is more of what it can handle rather than what it actually outputs.

From what I am remembering I think it will be fine. It's the voltage that needs to be worried about. 2A will only be providing head room and allowing the adapter to work less hard.

Top Bottom