• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Toku

Major Contributor
I got the topping d50s with the external power supply. Sounds better than the bluesound node2i. Still exploring the filters

But it’s coax input is not working. Possibly not worth sending back over this as optical in is working, seems this was an issue in d50 as well.
Toppng D50 and D50s do not function correctly in coaxial connection. Connection may or may not be possible depending on the connected device.
I tested a variety of coaxial cables, but the problem was not solved.
However, if you connect the coaxial cable to DX3 Pro SU-8 DX7s M500 at that time, it will work without any problems.
I think the cause is due to an incorrect setting of the received signal level of D50. For this reason, it may or may not be received due to a slight difference in signal level.
There is another big problem. Playing a song other than PCM384KHz and then playing a song with PCM384kHz will cause a big pop noise.

I reported this problem to the topping. But it has not been solved yet.
Of course, the D50 and D50s forums also reported this issue. But many audiophiles did not show interest.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
That looks like one of the first DACs from a reputable vendor using AKM's new flagship AK4499. Really excited to see how it turns out.

Can't tell what I'd want to see more, the starting price for these 4499 devices, or their actual performance. From the published diagrams, these chips look like completely new beasts in terms of architecture.

josiah

I am starting to think this site is dangerous.

I am still waiting for my D50s to show up. I decided on the ATOM/D50s combo, and now all this D90 and D7X Pro talk makes me second guess my decision. :-O

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am starting to think this site is dangerous.

I am still waiting for me D50s to show up. I decided on the ATOM/D50s combo, and now all this D90 and D7X Pro talk makes me second guess my decision. :-O

Agreed, I already have the Atom/D50s setup and i'm amazingly impressed by it, but Amir's review of the SMSL SP200 this morning had me itching to upgrade.

GeorgeWalk

I got the topping d50s with the external power supply. Sounds better than the bluesound node2i. Still exploring the filters

But it’s coax input is not working. Possibly not worth sending back over this as optical in is working, seems this was an issue in d50 as well.

After reading your post, I tested the coax on my Topping d50s and found my coax input didn't seem to work either. I googled around and saw some posts that indicated that the coax input on the Topping is sensitive to the cable. I have bunch of audio and video cables. I tried them all. I did find one cable, a 75 ohm RCA RGB video cable that works. I have some fairly good (I thought) 75 ohm audio cables that didn't work. I am using a Raspberry Pi Zero with a JustBoom DAC. The coax output on that works fine with any cable on my other preamp. Maybe the Topping is impedance sensitive or the JustBoom just isn't capable of driving it?

guyinoz

Forum Donor
After reading your post, I tested the coax on my Topping d50s and found my coax input didn't seem to work either. I googled around and saw some posts that indicated that the coax input on the Topping is sensitive to the cable. I have bunch of audio and video cables. I tried them all. I did find one cable, a 75 ohm RCA RGB video cable that works. I have some fairly good (I thought) 75 ohm audio cables that didn't work. I am using a Raspberry Pi Zero with a JustBoom DAC. The coax output on that works fine with any cable on my other preamp. Maybe the Topping is impedance sensitive or the JustBoom just isn't capable of driving it?
Thanks for letting me know. It feels good to know it may not be fully broken. I tried with a bunch of RCA cables and it didn’t work. Seems to be ok with optical out of the same bluesound 2i so I will stick with that and play cable lottery again next weekend.

desertrat

woah! thanks for the tip!
A bit late in following up, but in case my 2 cents still may be helpful: I bought from APOS. $218, with no shipping, no taxes, 2 yr warranty...And, when I had questions/support, "CJ" responded right away and was just great! She's a good support person for sure.

SoBu

My AmazonBasics 25ft Coax cable works fine with my PC.

dheepak10

Got my Topping D50s today after a month long hold up at customs. Setting it up was pretty simple.
My chain is PC > Uptone Regen > Topping D50s > iFi iTube > Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2.
Sound is pretty good.
Compared to my iFi Nano BL, the separation of instruments portrayed is much better.
Compared to the Khadas Tone Board, this one is much better in overall tonality; I hated the sharp tonality of the KTB.

PS: What's the recommended choice for filter?

Last edited:

josiah

I have been using my D50s for a couple days now. I have it paired with the JDS Atom. Definitely an audible upgrade over the Fiio K5 Pro. Glad I gave Topping a second chance. Everything sounds so clear.

guyinoz

Forum Donor
Got my Topping D50s today after a month long hold up at customs. Setting it up was pretty simple.
My chain is PC > Uptone Regen > Topping D50s > iFi iTube > Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2.
Sound is pretty good.
Compared to my iFi Nano BL, the separation of instruments portrayed is much better.
Compared to the Khadas Tone Board, this one is much better in overall tonality; I hated the sharp tonality of the KTB.

PS: What's the recommended choice for filter?
I have been using filter 5 mostly for rock music and live performances recordings. Played around only a little bit with the filters but till now haven’t heard huge differences for music I have been listening to.

dheepak10

I have been using filter 5 mostly for rock music and live performances recordings. Played around only a little bit with the filters but till now haven’t heard huge differences for music I have been listening to.
Yup its too subtle to differentiate - noticed that there is a slightly elevated sparkle in the treble region with Linear phase filters compared to Minimum phase ones on the D50s.

saturnaal

Got the shipping notification for my D50s, looking forward to having a clean source. For anyone wondering, I checked the dimensions and it looks like the D50s will stack perfectly on the Koss ESP-95X E/90X energizer :D.

Now I just need an A50 to stack with it! If Topping can get the A50 to equal the performance of the JDS Atom or THX amps, I would be thrilled, automatic sale at any price <$400. The smaller footprint is very appealing to me.

If there are any Topping employees monitoring this thread, take note! Do not rush the A50, get it right. Make a perfect companion to the D50s that measures similarly for SINAD, power, and output impedance to the current competition (JDS Atom, Massdrop THX 789, Monoprice THX 887, SMSL SP200). Give it pre-amp outs and leave out unnecessary things like XLR connectors. If it meets those criteria, I'd easily buy a P50 as well just to eliminate the two wall warts.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Got the shipping notification for my D50s, looking forward to having a clean source. For anyone wondering, I checked the dimensions and it looks like the D50s will stack perfectly on the Koss ESP-95X E/90X energizer :D.

Now I just need an A50 to stack with it! If Topping can get the A50 to equal the performance of the JDS Atom or THX amps, I would be thrilled, automatic sale at any price <$400. The smaller footprint is very appealing to me.

If there are any Topping employees monitoring this thread, take note! Do not rush the A50, get it right. Make a perfect companion to the D50s that measures similarly for SINAD, power, and output impedance to the current competition (JDS Atom, Massdrop THX 789, Monoprice THX 887, SMSL SP200). Give it pre-amp outs and leave out unnecessary things like XLR connectors. If it meets those criteria, I'd easily buy a P50 as well just to eliminate the two wall warts.
Perhaps one day they'll say : fuck thx we got better performance for $100

saturnaal

Perhaps one day they'll say : fuck thx we got better performance for $100

I have no particular attachment to THX, but whatever they're doing works. JDS Labs has demonstrated that this level of performance can be achieved without it, so it's only a matter of time before others follow in their footsteps. I'm only interested in the performance and form factor!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have no particular attachment to THX, but whatever they're doing works. JDS Labs has demonstrated that this level of performance can be achieved without it, so it's only a matter of time before others follow in their footsteps. I'm only interested in the performance and form factor!
Thx is way better in performance tho. Especially with low impedance load and at higher frequency as well as the power supply noise. And jds is already at 99 dollars. So.. Probably better enclosure?

mt196

I hate the THX design because they do not have the preamp function and manufacturer cannot include it because it is a copyrighted design. I hope JDS or someone else will do a XLR amp with preamp and more or less the THX performances at <400 otherwise the Atom is the best bang right now

Top Bottom