• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Anybody know if you can control multiple of these with a single remote?
All use the same code so they should all respond to the same signal just the same.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I like to test DSD. Alas, there are no test signals in DSD and my Audio analyzer can't handle them either. I have tried to convert PCM test signals to DSD but there are losses there and results not very reliable. It is a long overdue feature in Audio Analyzers given the popularity of DSD in DACs.
I think since most music isn't DSD it really doesn't matter.
DSD is dead and only promoted as a gimmick to take cash from those who think it means something.

sq225917

Major Contributor
So, does the IMD hump come from not having split L and R voltage rails for the AVCC?

zeropoint

The ultrasonic tone in D50s is about -80 dB. Even if that were in audible band, you wouldn't hear it unless it is in mid frequencies. At 28 Khz or whatever, it is just not an audible concern although I personally wish it was not there.

Although inaudible, just out of interest, does the D50 exhibit this 28kHz tone on 20k input?

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
All use the same code so they should all respond to the same signal just the same.

That's not the point. I get the same question for our ADIs and it always comes from people who want to use multiple DACs for surround, then control the volume with their (one) remote. That is NOT reliable, all units will not always follow the one remote in total sync. As soon as there is a little volume difference you get screwed in cumbersome re-matching all levels...

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That's not the point. I get the same question for our ADIs and it always comes from people who want to use multiple DACs for surround, then control the volume with their (one) remote. That is NOT reliable, all units will not always follow the one remote in total sync. As soon as there is a little volume difference you get screwed in cumbersome re-matching all levels...

Strange ideas from these people.

Unless they have already split the channels via software before output via USB into these individual DAC's, how are they supposed to do multi-channel on DAC's that have only 2 channels each?

And if they really did that, wouldn't be easier to get one of those remotes that can control the digital volume from the computer instead ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I give the same answer if they ask it for that application.

pii75

While we are on this graph, a trend seems to be merging between DACs based on AKM and ESS chips. AKM DACs seem to be more quiet as you can see from performance of DX3 Pro in red. But at max level though, ESS DACs seem to have less distortion by a few dB. Interesting trade off.

How this assertion is compatible with dynamic range measurements where d50 is slightly better (of about 1dB) than dx3 pro?

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
What kind of Bluetooth codecs does it support? Same as the DX3Pro, I'm guessing? aptX HD and aptX Low Latency? Hoping for the latter since it's so handy with watching TV and playing games.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How this assertion is compatible with dynamic range measurements where d50 is slightly better (of about 1dB) than dx3 pro?
There are variations in these measurements and they depend on maximum output which I think is a hair lower in D50s.

zacipult

I was about to buy D50 when this baby showed up. So when it's going to be available? Should i wait...?
I second all this and also made an account to ask the same question lol.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I second all this and also made an account to ask the same question lol.
Why not buying a D10 for 1/3 of the price doudt you will hear any difference.

zacipult

I do definitely agree that it would be the smarter decision, and I honestly doubt that I would be trained enough to able to hear the differences between the two.

There are two reasons why I have my eyes on the D50.

1) The main reason: Joystick volume control being able to cleanly lower the signal it is outputting a little to my amp. This will give me a bit more range I can play with on my amp, especially for lower impedance items like some IEMS. Otherwise, I have no real 'need' to upgrade DAC. Having this flexibility would be really nice. If there is an option for Bluetooth this would also be nice, not for analytical listening but more for media playback controls from my phone in bed. (Amp also feeds some bookshelves).
2) Admittedly also aesthetics: Although to some, this isn't important to some I really like the look of the D50 and I intend to stick it under a Liquid Spark. - looking at photos online of this combo look quite tidy, which is something I can't quite agree with for the D10 combo.

Latter is a pretty silly reason, but I would be very confident in saying that I am not the only one who's decision is partly influenced by product appearances. Saving up the extra money isn't too much of a concern. Especially if there is a small wait till product release.

Edit: Spelling

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Looks like there is a preorder for 20 of these on ebay. Said they are expected to ship by July 20... I went ahead and grabbed one. Also, for the first time I actually bought the 2 year extended warranty for something. I figured for $15, given that these are going to be the first off the line, might be worth it even to cover shipping if needed.

Looking forward to getting it probably around Halloween...;)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I would say wait for that extra 3 weeks. Pre-orders unless from reputable vendors are always rather "iffy" ...

You should see reliable vendors such as Shenzhen and a few others on Aliexpress putting them out within days of launch, just like they did for the D70 launch.

Veri

Master Contributor
^Seems pretty overpriced if the price was supposed to stay the same

Amirm said:
I don't see an announcement on it but Topping has shared with me that it will cost US $250.
Woops, nvm.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Very solid upgrade here. Remote is a must for me, so nice to see this feature come in, and the Bluetooth addition is a nice touch (although I would expect most people to use USB to access 44.1 kHz+ recordings. Topping is doing a lot of things right at the moment.

I'm impressed to see how well the DX3 Pro is performing against all the DACs being reviewed! I still don't feel the need to upgrade :)

Topping D50s DAC IMD Audio Measurements.png

Top Bottom