• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

rollerotr

The Topping D50s looks great at $250. Newbie here!
I am running a node 2i directly to a B&K power amp after eliminating a DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 that had room correction but I didn't like the sound of the DAC. Also DAC was limited to 96K. I don't like the sound of the node 2i even less. Would replacing the DSPeaker with the Topping D50s via coax from the node2i, then using the analog output of the Topping to the amp help with soundstage and clarity? Thoughts please?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The Topping D50s looks great at $250. Newbie here!
I am running a node 2i directly to a B&K power amp after eliminating a DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 that had room correction but I didn't like the sound of the DAC. Also DAC was limited to 96K. I don't like the sound of the node 2i even less. Would replacing the DSPeaker with the Topping D50s via coax from the node2i, then using the analog output of the Topping to the amp help with soundstage and clarity? Thoughts please?
There are better choices now, if you find the D50S on a discount then sure. However there is the EX5 and the E50.

Shuddersfield

Hi Folks - This is my first post on here so I'm not sure if I should ask my question here on start a new thread? I've just purchased the D50s and I can't get it to work via USB with my Mac Mini. I only get about 4 seconds of music from the first track I play then the music cuts out. I get silence after that on any track I choose. I've tried to change RCA and PC cables but no luck. I've tried different inputs on my Rotel A14 amp but again, nothing. I use both Auridvana and Apple Music and it's the same with both. Bluetooth works fine so I'm thinking there's a setting that's off. According to Topping website it should be plug and play with macs, no drivers to download. I'd really appreciate some advice to fix the problem? Cheers. I'm in the UK.

Haider

I'm not interested in Bluetooth. Does this give better real-world sound quality than e1da 9038d stick? I would be pairing it with a laptop, Amazon HD playing from local hard drive, Peace/Equaliser APO, Arcam rHead, Sundaras

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm not interested in Bluetooth. Does this give better real-world sound quality than e1da 9038d stick? I would be pairing it with a laptop, Amazon HD playing from local hard drive, Peace/Equaliser APO, Arcam rHead, Sundaras
I would say yes period however if you don't have a local deal On this the E50 is much better for around the same price.

Haider

I would say yes period however if you don't have a local deal On this the E50 is much better for around the same price.

I bought the E50 from Amazon for £250. Surprised it performs better than my e1da 9038d. The background music to the vocals is more prominent in the mix, sound seems more spacious and less muffled, it takes the focus away from the vocals and spreads it to all the elements of the music including the backing music. Sounds less like I'm listening at home more live....I noticed one thing in Windows 10 I can't see the choice to select 16 bit 44Khz (CD quality)?

Veri

Master Contributor
Sounds less like I'm listening at home more live....I noticed one thing in Windows 10 I can't see the choice to select 16 bit 44Khz (CD quality)?
Are you using default Windows driver? Might have to install latest Topping one :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I bought the E50 from Amazon for £250. Surprised it performs better than my e1da 9038d. The background music to the vocals is more prominent in the mix, sound seems more spacious and less muffled, it takes the focus away from the vocals and spreads it to all the elements of the music including the backing music. Sounds less like I'm listening at home more live....I noticed one thing in Windows 10 I can't see the choice to select 16 bit 44Khz (CD quality)?
I am not sure of the measurements of the dongle like device that you mentioned here. However usually dongle style devices have lower output voltage and as such full size products especially when outputting in something like balanced will sound better at the same amp settings.

Haider

Strange on listening today things are sounding about the same. Could have been unconscious bias. I've been watching
so I'm trying to be neutral. The 9038d puts out 2.7V/180mW@32 Ohms

Haider

Strange on listening today things are sounding about the same. Could have been unconscious bias. I've been watching
so I'm trying to be neutral. The 9038d puts out 2.7V/180mW@32 Ohms
Topping E50 vs E1DA 9038d face-off ; the system Amazon HD laptop->DAC->Arcam rHead->HiFiMan Sundara

Haider

You have any switch box or you have to manual switch everything each time?
What is your source music?
Dali CDs Vol 1 & 3, I built the playlists in Amazon HD; the tracks apart from one are 16/44...My friend switched for me and I switched for him. We tried to guess which was which...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Dali CDs Vol 1 & 3, I built the playlists in Amazon HD; the tracks apart from one are 16/44...My friend switched for me and I switched for him. We tried to guess which was which...
I see. When I test between different audio products I specifically use songs that have high dynamic range. Things with certain female vocals or electronic music with frequency sweeps or things such as piano and violin especially the latter. However they must be while recorded or it doesn't matter.
Over the years I have built a Spotify playlist of such tracks which I can use to tell the differences between different hardware.

rollerotr

There are better choices now, if you find the D50S on a discount then sure. However there is the EX5 and the E50.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out.Seems I keep upping the ante. I've been looking at the D90SE with maybe adding the PRE90 for added gain. But I'm not sure if it's overkill for my B&K ST1400 Series II power amp.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out.Seems I keep upping the ante. I've been looking at the D90SE with maybe adding the PRE90 for added gain. But I'm not sure if it's overkill for my B&K ST1400 Series II power amp.
Personally I think the D90 is overkill for everything. There are SOTA products available for much less.
A90D is also "overkill" but I can see some people wanting it for very current hungry planar headphones.
Otherwise you could just get away with a E50 that has more features and better performance or an L30 or even D30 Pro.

rollerotr

Personally I think the D90 is overkill for everything. There are SOTA products available for much less.
A90D is also "overkill" but I can see some people wanting it for very current hungry planar headphones.
Otherwise you could just get away with a E50 that has more features and better performance or an L30 or even D30 Pro.
I just looked at the ASR E50 review. As for bench testing, it seems on par with the D90. Part of my attraction to the the D90SE is the implementation and SQ. I will check out some the options you suggested, thanks for your input.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I just looked at the ASR E50 review. As for bench testing, it seems on par with the D90. Part of my attraction to the the D90SE is the implementation and SQ. I will check out some the options you suggested, thanks for your input.
E50 is indeed very close to the D90 just without the fancy enclosure, screen and internal psu.

Direwall

I'm currently running a D50S from tidal and PC through an A50S then out to headphones. What I'd like to do is connect a cd player to the D50S then broadcast to bluetooth speakers. Is this possible? I also connected my iphone via bluetooth and listened with headphones, but I'm unable to broadcast phone-->D50S-->bluetooth speakers. Clearly I don't have a complete understanding of how this works. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom