• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

JBEVIA

I am waiting for a d50s, is it mandatory to use filters? no direct unfiltered sound? Do you know which filter affects the purity of the sound less, thanks.

RHO

Major Contributor
I am waiting for a d50s, is it mandatory to use filters? no direct unfiltered sound? Do you know which filter affects the purity of the sound less, thanks.
The filters at the output of a DAC do not filter the audio. They let the audio pass, unfiltered, and remove the unwanted high frequency "noise" from the signal. You are not able to hear these filtered frequencies (if they were not blocked by the filter) and they are not supposed to be in the audio signal.

JBEVIA

The filters at the output of a DAC do not filter the audio. They let the audio pass, unfiltered, and remove the unwanted high frequency "noise" from the signal. You are not able to hear these filtered frequencies (if they were not blocked by the filter) and they are not supposed to be in the audio signal.
the DAC has 7 sound filters. or otherwise called equalizations. I have read in the forum that some people like one filter more than another. and my question is if you can't hear direct sound if you go through equalized filters

RHO

Major Contributor
the DAC has 7 sound filters. or otherwise called equalizations. I have read in the forum that some people like one filter more than another. and my question is if you can't hear direct sound if you go through equalized filters
These are not sound filters as in EQ settings. These are different types of filters to attenuate the unwanted ultrasonic high frequency content from the wanted audio signal.
I wouldn't put much credence in the stories that there is much difference to be heard between them.

baccus

why are there 7 filters, if there is no difference?

when i do a factory reset on my d50s, default filter is 1 not 2 as mentioned here.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

when i do a factory reset on my d50s, default filter is 1 not 2 as mentioned here.

The filters are built into the DAC chip and many OEMs choose to expose some or all of them them to the end user. My understanding is that there is a measurable difference between the filters, but our understanding of psycho-acoustics tells us that this is unlikely to be an audible difference under normal listening conditions. It may be possible to construct tests where differences between the filters are audible, but personally, I cannot detect any audible differences when cycling through the filters on my D50s or EX5 when listening to music,

Toku

Major Contributor

There are many built-in filters, but I think it is impossible for human hearing to detect these differences in sound quality. However, as a manufacturer, incorporating many filters will please audiophiles and give them an advantage in terms of sales strategy.

Vosya

There are many built-in filters, but I think it is impossible for human hearing to detect these differences in sound quality. However, as a manufacturer, incorporating many filters will please audiophiles and give them an advantage in terms of sales strategy.
Before such loud declarations, verify the abilities of your own hearing and equipment. For some reason, I hear the difference in ES9038Q2M perfectly, and this is not on some audiophilic High End setup, but on a combination of lower-level devices: Yamaha A-S201 + Yamaha NS-777. And yes, I hear this difference being sighted, and although ten times blindly.

Snafu

I have a problem with D50s and Tidal (master plan):

Volume level with Tidal doesn't stay at 100% but drops to 77 each time new song starts no matter what or how i adjust levels.

DAC is Topping D50s with latest drivers, Tidals "loudness normalization" setting off, "force volume" on, exclusive mode "on". System control sound 100% & win10 volume settings 100%. And when i chance volume from Tidal settings to 100% and next song starts -> volume drops to 77. This drop happens every time new song starts.

WIN10 settings Master volume set to 100% that drops too (Tidal app volume set to 100)

Any ideas, thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a problem with D50s and Tidal (master plan):

Volume level with Tidal doesn't stay at 100% but drops to 77 each time new song starts no matter what or how i adjust levels.

DAC is Topping D50s with latest drivers, Tidals "loudness normalization" setting off, "force volume" on, exclusive mode "on". System control sound 100% & win10 volume settings 100%. And when i chance volume from Tidal settings to 100% and next song starts -> volume drops to 77. This drop happens every time new song starts.

WIN10 settings Master volume set to 100% that drops too (Tidal app volume set to 100)

Any ideas, thanks
Has got to be a software problem. The DAC can't do a thing like changing volume every next song, it has no notion of a song it is just fed a bitstream.

Snafu

Thanks Veri, that's what i thought but if Tidal feeds DAC with a stream (song) then starts another one DAC goes back to it's default that's not 100% but something else. In Topping control panel i can see level goes to -4.

No matter how i chance these settings, it always goes back to 77%

Thanks

Attachments

• tidal 1.jpg
    tidal 1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 74
  • tidal 2.jpg
    tidal 2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 67
  • tidal 3.jpg
    tidal 3.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 73

Snafu

after Tidals latest update problem is gone. they fixed "loudness normalization" bug.

so, no problems with Topping DAC itself :)

Overseas

Major Contributor
New Problem (with D50s?) -- New high-frequency crackling noise occurs intermittently for a couple of seconds at a time, usually repeating several times over the course of an hour or two's listening. Does this sound familiar to any of you streaming experts?

The signal chain is Qobuz->Verizon Fios->router->wired Ethernet->BlueSound Node 2i->Topping D50s (via digital coax)->
I found the coax output interruptions problem discussed on the internet.

Toku

Major Contributor
I found the coax output interruptions problem discussed on the internet.
I bought two D50s and a D50s, both of which have very severe COAX connections.
If the quality of the S/PDIF signal to be connected is poor, symptoms such as disconnection many times or no connection at all will occur.
I reported this issue to Topping and ASR early on. However, neither Topping nor the members of ASR showed any interest.

Overseas

Major Contributor
If the quality of the S/PDIF signal to be connected is poor, symptoms such as disconnection many times or no connection at all will occur.
I reported this issue to Topping and ASR early on. However, neither Topping nor the members of ASR showed any interest.
Is it worth strictly for usb otg connection, from the sound quality point of view? Do the 2x ESS chips make the difference?

doug2761

Forum Donor
Is it worth strictly for usb otg connection, from the sound quality point of view? Do the 2x ESS chips make the difference?
It would really surprise me if there was an audible difference. To my ears, the audible distinction between the top performing DACs is without a difference. Features and visual preference is far more influential to me.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
This problem must be specific to the d50. I haven't had issues with coax neither Optical or direct on my DX7 or d30.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Top Bottom