• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Mataempat

This is due to the limitation in the windows audio stack. You can use foobar2000 or other player to play higher sample rate files via ASIO. (although I don't think there's published 768khz music available)
Thanks John as always.

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Basically correct.

Windows can output 384khz. You can measure frequency response up to half of the FS. It's just everything gets resampled to the selected format.

Asio bypasses the whole stack directly talking to the driver.

And using ASIO you get then Hi-Res. Letting the DAC process the original data.

The only advantage I see for Windows stack, limited to 44.1/16, is one could use APO Equalizer and audio DSP plugins. Such features having no effect on ASIO, which is a direct app to DAC data stream.

Reactions: RHO

skyfly

A question about 32 tone test.

Can individual tone be at 0dBFS? If so, I guess there will be clipping.

In 19 + 20 kHz dual tone IMD test, each individual tone is at about - 6dBFS, I guess.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
v5.20 is out:
TUSBAudio - Thesycon USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows

Revision History

-----------------------------------------------------
V5.20.0 (June 28, 2021)
-----------------------------------------------------

* New: support for Windows 10 (21H1)

* New: audio class 1.0: extract channel names from input terminal descriptor iChannelNames field

* New: API version 5.8

* Fix: initialization of auto stream format selection was missing

* Chg: Audio control interface for MIDI is optional

* Chg: Operating systems Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are not longer supported
(Microsoft discontinued vendor signing)

* Chg: Documentation

Pepper81

Hi Guys,
D50 is no longer available and has been replaced with D50s
Is D50s a better version of D50 (Improved implementation and performance) or is the same with the addition of BT?
They seem to share the same Chip and OP amp.
What's the best connection for D50s?It works better when connected to the digital source via USB or coaxial cable?
I read about problems with Spdif Input

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi Guys,
Is D50s a better version of D50 (Improved implementation and performance) or is the same with the addition of BT?
What's the best connection for D50s?It works better when connected to the digital source via USB or coaxial cable?
D50s is actually an improved version. It is slightly better in all aspects.
I don't think USB or other input matters. It will work or it will not.

Pepper81

Veri
Even if you want to use coaxial, the PC only has USB.
At The monent,in the price range between 200/250, There's Topping D50 s and SMSL SU8
Both Have Sabre Chip,Bot have codec DSD but SMSL has Balanced Outputs that instead Topping D50s has not
Here in Italy you can not find distributors of Schiit products ,so the only DAC with XLR/RCA outputs at 250 euro is SMSL SU8

michman66

Hi Guys,

I own a D50S. I have used both USB and Spdif. Two completely different pathways. FWIW, USB was; laptop ** Using Jriver direct to D50s. Then I saw a Darko YT video on an ALLO Signature One which works with a Ras pi. I am not a technician. I do know how to build small projects. I used a 3+ The Sig One is about 265.00 It works as a streamer. I wont go into the whole deal here. I use the Sdif out put of the Allo to the D50s. For those reading this, I'm not speaking in absolutes. This is MY experience. I MUCH prefer this route by far, then USB input. IMHO. I also bought an Ifi Power brick to use on the "clean"side of the Sign One. I think Amir did a review on it.

SOULKAT

Wow one you like that's Rare I have the Topping E30 so i now know my upgrade will be.

Pepper81

Sorry Guys I've a question
My future digital source will be an Intel Nuc mini pc that only has USB digital outputs
If I wanted to try to connect the Dac via coaxial, how would I do that?
I'd purchase an adapter?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry Guys I've a question
My future digital source will be an Intel Nuc mini pc that only has USB digital outputs
If I wanted to try to connect the Dac via coaxial, how would I do that?
I'd purchase an adapter?
It will accept USB.
Is there a reason not to use your USB output from the NUC?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I see. Don't bother. Just use USB.

It's extremely unlikely that S/PDIF will offer any audible difference. Toslink might help remedy ground loops if (an only if) your specific setup is being pestered by that. On the other hand, it's extremely likely that perceptual bias will make any judgement of changes in dynamic range and soundstage highly unreliable.

If you want to do it just for fun, then who am I to stop you? Just beware that any results you gather from it will have practically zero value to anybody other than yourself.

If you just want the best that this product can offer without jumping through hoops, don't worry and use USB :)

Vissertje4e

maar vertel nu eens hoe klinkt deze dac is het al eens wat want dat gemeet geloof ik wel het gaat om hoe dat apparaat muziek ten gehore brengt?

Top Bottom