• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What I find is that the D50s sounds exactly the same as the DX3 Pro as long as the Lehmann is between it which is quite a warm colored amp (personal preference).

But (un)surprisingly the D50s and DX3 Pro sound practically the same to my ears (AKM vs ESS).

D50s still wins, they are close, this is why it appears the "same":

DX3Pro:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-topping-dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/

D50s:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-of-new-topping-d50s-dac.7914/

Gradius

It's not necessary snake oil. iDefender fixed noise issue on my DAC.

I call it snake oil since a single electrical tape can isolate the GND (ground).

It will cost you near nothing (yes, it works), as the other costs the absurd minimum US$ 50 !

Akary

I call it snake oil since a single electrical tape can isolate the GND (ground).

It will cost you near nothing (yes, it works), as the other costs the absurd minimum US$ 50 !
to work it works but does not decouple the dac from the pc power supply the ifi is not cheap for the simplicity of the project but it does its job well

Cidious

I did roll in a Burson V5i-D that I had laying around for review material. The V6 doesn't fit.

Can't say anything useful about it since I didn't do serious A/B listening but I did compare the LME47920 with a Muses 02 I pulled from another DX3 Pro project. The LME47920 was more transparent and well fit for the job. Another sign of good engineering from Topping.

Gradius

Akary

gradius I looked for some reviews and evaluations and in fact you are right you also the various usb purifiers are useless just a good linear power supply and a modified cable. I wanted to try to make me a cable with separate power supply but my only doubt is the shielding of the cable must also be interrupted and left connected only from the PC side?

Gradius

gradius I looked for some reviews and evaluations and in fact you are right you also the various usb purifiers are useless just a good linear power supply and a modified cable. I wanted to try to make me a cable with separate power supply but my only doubt is the shielding of the cable must also be interrupted and left connected only from the PC side?

Well, I did got a much better USB cable quality.

I didn't noticed a difference with GND on, and GND off the cable really, more like a placebo effect. I mentioned that here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-topping-d50s-dac.7914/post-448163

I can tell a good dedicated power supply and cable will do just fine.

shimosk

I know its not the place to post it, but I had the Topping D50s power plugged using a Apple charger. Now Im using a external battery between the DAC and the apple charger.
I feel like the soundstage opened and corners are rounder, treble is much less harsh. I know lots of you will call me insane, but that's what I feel.
My setup is Volumio (raspberry pi4) --> USB cable (Wireworld Ultraviolet)--> Topping D50s --> Marantz PM8006--> Dali Oberon 3 speakers. I use the Audirvana in a MacBook Pro to play songs.

Veri

Master Contributor
I feel like the soundstage opened and corners are rounder, treble is much less harsh. I know lots of you will call me insane, but that's what I feel.
This is an audio science forum, sir.

JediMa

I got mine today.. it's just WOW, the old SMSL M8a was ok but this is really another level.. Impressive DAC

Top Bottom